collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 376
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 2011 season changes  (Read 9094 times)

Offline Dare

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

Re: 2011 season changes
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 11:12:27 AM »
I wonder who will become the first 107% victim?  I'm hoping it won't be Sauber with that Mexican driving...  :(
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 12:05:25 PM »

I think a really interesting aspect in Quali will be who can master the adjustable rear wing and KERS best. Reports of some drivers not being able to take full advantage are starting to surface. For example here are some extracts from a web article, 'Why this is the right moment for women drivers in F1' - by James Allen, about the multi tasking dilema facing F1 pilots this season.

F1 drivers can easily find themselves in testing doing an oil transfer, at the same time as adjusting the brake bias, hitting the KERS boost button and opening the adjustable rear wing (ARW). When one leading driver was radioed by his team while on the straight in Barcelona, asking him to perform another task on the steering wheel, he replied, “I’ve only got one pair of hands!”

It does seem as through there are plenty of pitfalls for drivers combining the KERS and ARW when exiting a corner. Do it too soon and the car spins. With so many things to remember – some of which like the ARW have different rules for race and qualifying – there are bound to be some mix ups. Apparently the most common mistake is drivers failing to use the ARW to the maximum on a qualifying lap either by missing the button, or forgetting to use it or using it too late. There is lap time in these mistakes and it will put more pressure on the weaker drivers (and the poor multi taskers) in qualifying.

To give our female members a wry smile the full story is at:-

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/02/why-this-is-the-right-moment-for-women-drivers-in-f1/

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »
I wonder how many races in will there be a major accident caused by the bizarre moveable wing and KERS rules, and how many times these rules will be adjusted through the season.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 03:27:07 PM »
Are there rules governing how the systems are activated?

For example, would you ever want to use the rear wing and NOT use KERS?  You could have the rear wing button automatically activate KERS (even if there's no juice available), that would make it simple.

Alternatively, since the rear wing is locked out except on one stretch of track, one 'boost' button should be enough

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 04:07:28 PM »

Alternatively, since the rear wing is locked out except on one stretch of track, one 'boost' button should be enough

Only in the race Jeri, they can use the flappy wing anytime they like in practice and quali. Kinda makes it difficult to link the systems even if they allow it. Plus of course a problem with KERS could then put the flappy wing out of commission, and probably vice versa.  

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 07:42:07 PM »
So!

If a car is within one second of another car it can use the Flappy Rear Wing (FRW) to gain extra speed but the car in front cannot.

But!!

If there is a train of cars all within one second of each other is it only the one at the front who cannot use FRW or is it only the car at the back who can use FRW?

Also!!!

If cars have used KERS to get close enough to to use FRW the car in front who may have not used KERS and cannot use FRW may have the speed using KRES to stop the FRW car passing.

I can see this being a confusing season as we will not know who is using or doing what? :crazy:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »
So!

If a car is within one second of another car it can use the Flappy Rear Wing (FRW) to gain extra speed but the car in front cannot.

But!!

If there is a train of cars all within one second of each other is it only the one at the front who cannot use FRW or is it only the car at the back who can use FRW?

Also!!!

If cars have used KERS to get close enough to to use FRW the car in front who may have not used KERS and cannot use FRW may have the speed using KRES to stop the FRW car passing.

I can see this being a confusing season as we will not know who is using or doing what? :crazy:

Push to pass button.  What's so confusing about that?  Either you've got KERS available, or don't.  Either you're allowed FRW or you're not.  There's no real decision to be made. 

Keep It Simple Stupid.

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 09:15:54 PM »
If only...

But I still say let them use whatever they have whenever they want - let's go racing!

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 01:54:57 AM »
here are some extracts from a web article, 'Why this is the right moment for women drivers in F1' {John S - 7 posts ago}

Sounds like it's a really good time to be an F1 driver if you're a typist! In that case, I'd like to apply to Colin Kolles for that Hispania seat (I can pay up to £5.53 for the season, plus a big chocolate bar from my bag and a bunch of train tickets from down the back of the sofa). Downside: unlike some women, I can't multi-task very well, so when I'm driving, my race engineer had better shut up and let me get on with it!

For example, would you ever want to use the rear wing and NOT use KERS? {Jericoke - 5 comments ago}

Yes, and not just in the practise and qualifying sessions John identified. Drivers can't use KERS at below 100 km/h because otherwise it could be used in the pits. So you wouldn't be able to use KERS at the beginning of some of the areas likely to be set aside for wing-based passing. Also, depending on where the overtaking zone ends, a driver might want to stop KERS before restoring the wing to its normal position. If a driver's running short on KERS power (either because it was last used recently and not yet re-charged or the limit for the lap is about to be hit), a driver would want to use KERS as late as possible to make re-passing more difficult. Finally, if a driver's expecting to have their work cut out to defend themselves following the overtake (or is fending off an overtake from behind while lining up their own pass), then KERS will be more use to that driver in defence than in attack.

As I understand it, it's any of the cars in the train which the FIA notices are within 1 second of the car ahead. I get the impression that they hope to automate the system eventually, but there's no point doing that until the governing body has figured out how they're going to apply their own rules. This is, of course, silly - if the FIA doesn't have confidence in its own rules it shouldn't be applying them.

Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
Well that's clear then! :crazy: :DntKnw: :tease: :nono:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »

For example, would you ever want to use the rear wing and NOT use KERS? {Jericoke - 5 comments ago}

Yes, and not just in the practise and qualifying sessions John identified. Drivers can't use KERS at below 100 km/h because otherwise it could be used in the pits. So you wouldn't be able to use KERS at the beginning of some of the areas likely to be set aside for wing-based passing. Also, depending on where the overtaking zone ends, a driver might want to stop KERS before restoring the wing to its normal position. If a driver's running short on KERS power (either because it was last used recently and not yet re-charged or the limit for the lap is about to be hit), a driver would want to use KERS as late as possible to make re-passing more difficult. Finally, if a driver's expecting to have their work cut out to defend themselves following the overtake (or is fending off an overtake from behind while lining up their own pass), then KERS will be more use to that driver in defence than in attack.

It's not a 1/4 mile drag race, it's 500 metres over 2 seconds.  If the teams are expecting their driver to make those calculations, then there is a problem.

One button activates both KERS and the rear wing.  The rear wing is controled external to the car based on position on the track, and KERS has limits as well, so the single button will easily be limited by context.

I submit that the number of times you'd want to activate KERS without the rear wing, or the rear wing withoug KERS in the flappy utilisation corridor will be outweighed by the split second diversion of the driver trying to figure that out... given the other 'complicated tasks' required of an F1 driver. 

If a Mac can get away with a single button, then surely an F1 car can  :P

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 07:54:12 PM »
 :confused: :confused: :confused:

Get rid of every electronic BS device, ESPECIALLY RADIOS, shut up, and DRIVE. Pit board communication only.

:good: :good: :good:
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Scott

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 08:07:22 PM »
Wow - nice monicker there Darrell...I guess Wizzo only took you seriously. 

:( :(

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 08:18:48 PM »
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Get rid of every electronic BS device, ESPECIALLY RADIOS, shut up, and DRIVE. Pit board communication only.

:good: :good: :good:

I like some of the radio traffic though!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle