collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 276
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Cicuits need to punish mistakes says JYS  (Read 3062 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Cicuits need to punish mistakes says JYS
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:54:38 AM »

Jackie argues for run-off changes to slow miscreants, whilst taking a tilt at Tilke's too similar track designs. Jackie will surely know his comments may cause a few red faces, more from annoyance rather than the embarrassment the ones in charge should feel. I just wonder if those in charge of such matters will bother to take much, if any notice at all of JYS?   

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/8349573/Sir-Jackie-Stewart-want-more-overtaking-in-F1-Make-circuits-punish-drivers-for-their-mistakes.html

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Ian

Re: Cicuits need to punish mistakes says JYS
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 01:55:43 PM »
JYS knows what he is talking about.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 02:11:11 PM »
Well said Sir Jackie!  :good:

Yes, I know, Herr Herman did a good job on Turn 8 at Istanbul. Even a clock that's stopped is right twice a day. I just hope we don't have any more Tilke Travesties foisted off on the sport.

Also, good on Sir Jackie for donating his fee to the Grand Prix Mechanics Charitable Trust.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 04:46:54 PM »
I don't know if it was Tilke's idea to replace gravel traps with concrete.

I'd be okay with the track being lined with Astroturf instead of curbs though.  That would give the loss of traction Stewart is looking for, and bring a splash of TV friendly green to the desert races.

If Jackie thinks that F1 courses are too similar, I'm going to guess he's not watching NASCAR or IRL!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:52:48 PM by Jericoke »

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 05:06:39 PM »
Maybe a 2m strip of astroturf on the inside and outside of all corners, followed by asphalt so they can scrub speed off once they are going sideways.  The decision to replace gravel with asphalt was on safety grounds after too many cars flipped when they hit the gravel sideways.  I guess it was the FIA.  I like it because it means that cars can continue instead of being stranded in the gravel.  

I also think spike strips would be a good way to avoid chicane cutters.  Flatten the tires forcing a pit stop (if they could make it back to the pits with 4 flat tires, that is).  I can't stand the way drivers just make a last second decision to either make the chicane or cut it.   >:( >:(
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 01:12:43 AM »
It was the FIA's idea to replace gravel with concrete for safety reasons (not only does it stop the cars faster in certain situations but it also reduces the risk of cars already in the process of crashing bouncing around the place, which was a problem at the turn of the millenium).

Jackie is, of course, correct :)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Monty

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »
I agree with Sir JS and I think the sport missed a fantastic opportunity when they allowed Tilke to design so many of the 'new' tracks.
It is very hard to dramatically change an old circuit (although not impossible) but the new circuits could have incorporated safe run-off areas with a really punishing method of rejoining. In reality an 'off' should at least penalise a driver as much as a drive through.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »
Maybe that's the solution! If a car is noted to have all four wheels off the track, it gets an automatic drive-through (unless the off is so big it has to pit for tyres or new components anyway). No messing about with "advantage" or "pressurising off-track", just a simple, no-nonsense test of whether there was at least one wheel still remaining on the circuit. Not as exciting as a big complicated off but instantly applicable to every circuit in the world.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
Maybe that's the solution! If a car is noted to have all four wheels off the track, it gets an automatic drive-through (unless the off is so big it has to pit for tyres or new components anyway). No messing about with "advantage" or "pressurising off-track", just a simple, no-nonsense test of whether there was at least one wheel still remaining on the circuit. Not as exciting as a big complicated off but instantly applicable to every circuit in the world.

If this got adopted in all series Ali, especially tin tops, the Silverstone pitlane would become a regular part of the race due to nearly every driver running wide in Copse as they feel its faster to run off than take the proper corner.  :D :DD :DD

Not sure the punishment would fit the misdemeanor though in F1, might make the racing even more processional as the cost of a botched overtaking move could lose you several places and a heap of time.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Willy

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 12:03:57 AM »
Tilke is making cookie-cutter tracks but he is still not the final word of approval before a track is put into service.

The FIA has to take some of the blame for the lack of excitement in many tracks in use right now.

Sir Jackie has hit the nail on the head with his ideas about penalizing drivers for errors, or if not errors then for running off track to gain advantage.

Whatever it takes to increase overtaking or lead changes etc will go a long way in getting this F1 fan interested in the sport once again.
I have had to seriously think about each race I want to watch and see if I want to invest that much time in what is becoming an ever-increasingly boring sport.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »

NASCAR has had such a rule at the restrictor plate tracks for several years. The inside double yellow line is out of bounds. A couple of weeks ago, the winner of the Daytona Shootout was decided by the rule.  Denny Hamlin passed leader Ryan Newman on the last lap, but went below the line. Newman was declared the winner, and Hamlin scored at the end of the lead lap.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Cam

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »
Not sure the punishment would fit the misdemeanor though in F1, might make the racing even more processional as the cost of a botched overtaking move could lose you several places and a heap of time.

Sir Jackie is heading in the right direction but I think John is on the money here, wouldnt be the first time and apprently good idea has had completely the opposite effect in F1.  Grooved tyres come to mind.
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle