collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 596
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Webber admits he lost sight of bigger picture last year  (Read 2258 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Webber admits he lost sight of bigger picture last year
« on: February 28, 2011, 06:05:24 PM »

But believes Red Bull will treat him equally this season alongside new world champion Vettel.   
I think it speaks volumes for mark's determination to push for success again that he can admit, to The Times, his personal battle with Vettel meant he lost sight of the bigger picture. Especially at the Korean Grand Prix where losing control of his Red Bull in wet conditions seriously damaged his championship chances. I think Seb, Lewis, Nando and the rest better watch out again this season, - Webber for WDC anyone?  ;)

"I didn't want to get beaten by Sebastian," Mark said and added. "It's that fine line you walk with the competitive instinct. You go out thinking, 'I don't want to get beaten today', and you are stretched and the big picture is almost forgotten about. Did Vettel crack Webber that day? You could say he might have."

When asked by The Times if he was cracked, Webber responded: "I made more mistakes, early in that race, than I made for ages. I hadn't spun or lost control of the car for nearly a year and a half but I had a 'moment' in that corner [turn 12] in practice and I got on the white line in the race and crashed. It's one of Seb's strengths, early in a race when it's wet, that he drives the needle to make sure the guys behind can't see. Afterwards you think, 'Why didn't I settle for something different? Why didn't I take it to another day like I had been doing?' But you feel, 'Sebastian is one of your rivals and you need to beat him'. And it was probably wrong for the championship but hey..."

However, when asked if he had missed his one shot at the title in 2010, Webber said he still had plenty of fight for this season.

"We'll see," he smiled. "I think I've still plenty of mongrel in me."

© ESPN EMEA Ltd, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Webber admits he lost sight of bigger picture last year
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:55:52 PM »
I certainly think that a lot of what we read about the drivers is exaggeration.  They're bigger than life heroes, so they need to have bigger than life drama on and off track.

Mark and Seb don't need to be bosom buddies, and I think that Christian Horner understands his drivers better than anyone (as he should!).  RBR has run a damn fine programme from the drawing board, to strategy to driver managment.

I think that Webber and Vettel will be the class of the field for 2011.  However, I'm going to pick Vettel to repeat as champion.  He's one year more mature, one year more experienced, and knows that he's got it in him.  (Of course it's possible he's gotten lazy as champion, then it will be Mark's for sure!)

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:26:22 PM »
RBR has run a damn fine programme from the drawing board, to strategy to driver managment.

Some would take issue with the driver management part of that - me included.  I think Horner, but more likely Dieter and Marko, have made a mockery of driver management this past season.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:33:36 PM »
RBR has run a damn fine programme from the drawing board, to strategy to driver managment.

Some would take issue with the driver management part of that - me included.  I think Horner, but more likely Dieter and Marko, have made a mockery of driver management this past season.

I understand it's open to debate, but he won the championship, hard to argue with results.  Everyone noticed that Mark drove better when angry.  He wouldn't be the first athlete to be antagonised by their coach/manager in the hopes of getting results.

Of course, it's possible everything just fell into RBR's lap, and this past season was a fluke.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 03:26:01 AM »
I think that with a car that was capable of grabbing pole at what, 3/4THs of the races, it's amazing that RB almost lost the championship.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Willy

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 11:46:07 PM »
Webber for WDC anyone?
Absolutely!!

Keep your eye on the prize this year Mark and pay no attention to what Vettle does or says.
He can't affect you if you decide to not let him.

Offline aazz

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 07:29:49 AM »
I will certainly be cheering for Webber for the entire season. I reckon if he can crack Vettel and get a couple of results early he will be a good chance. GO WEBBER.
I can't think of anything to write here.

Williamsfan

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 10:22:59 PM »
Well if the Red Bull does turn out to be the fastest car on the grid, I'd hope Webber can beat Vettel to the title this season! 

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 12:34:59 AM »
As he admits himself, he'll have to find a few hundredths in qually. Unless the flappy wing is the greatest invention since sliced bread!

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle