collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 353
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: BBC May Drop F1  (Read 11409 times)

Offline cosworth151

BBC May Drop F1
« on: March 14, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »
The BBC may drop F1 and Wimbledon in order to make up a £600m shortfall.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6812613/-BBC-Could-Drop-F1-Coverage-

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: BBC May Drop F1
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »
Good.  I found the ITV race coverage much better with commerical breaks... they would always explain what happened during them.

Canadian TV has commercial breaks, and with the BBC coverage, I don't get to hear what's going on, and no recap when the commercial ends.  (I can still see it, they put it in a tiny frame beside the commercial... but it's not the same.)

Offline Wats-on

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »
I am not too happy about that. In Holland, I have three possibilities to watch F1.

1. RTL7, a Dutch Commercial Broadcaster with 2 lap commercial every 10 laps;
2. Belgium Canvas: no commercials, but the crew doesn't know sh*t about F1;
3. BBC. Good comments, depth interviews, no commercial brakes.

Can't get ITV in Holland, so I don't like to hear the news above....  :( :( :( :confused: :confused: :DntKnw:
You're smart if you believe only half of what you're told. You're brilliant if you know what half to believe...

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 05:20:31 PM »
Good.  I found the ITV race coverage much better with commerical breaks... they would always explain what happened during them.

Canadian TV has commercial breaks, and with the BBC coverage, I don't get to hear what's going on, and no recap when the commercial ends.  (I can still see it, they put it in a tiny frame beside the commercial... but it's not the same.)

A bit selfish Jeri, try to foist commercials on others just because the Canadian broadcasters can't get it right.  I hope they stay with BBC.  You can always stream the BBC audio and mute the TV if you want to stay up to the moment.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Willy

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 05:24:56 PM »
In western Canada we can get TSN (Terrible Sports Network) which carries the BBC feed (but with moron Canadian sportcasters who don't seem to know jacksh*t)  to start and end, or Speed TV from the USA.

I prefer Speed but my carrier has just moved it to digital cable from regular so you now must have another box.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 05:32:06 PM »
Most of us here in the States can't even get Speed. The BBC feed isn't available over here. That's why folks like Dare and I spend race day trying to find bootleg feeds.

I like Speed's crew of Hobbs, Varsha & Co. better than the BBC. Speed delays quali by 10-15 minutes for some reason, so it screws with using T&S.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:31:23 PM »

A bit selfish Jeri, try to foist commercials on others just because the Canadian broadcasters can't get it right.  I hope they stay with BBC.  You can always stream the BBC audio and mute the TV if you want to stay up to the moment.

I think it would be more selfish of me to expect British taxpayers to subsidize my F1 viewing ;-)

Also, for non live races (I can't stay up to watch the Asian/Aussie races anymore so I PVR them), I can't get the BBC audio anyway.

I can only fairly judge the TV coverage on what works for me.

(PS, for the desert races, if you do watch them taped, you can fast forward.  Not NEARLY as dull...)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 06:36:28 PM »
Most of us here in the States can't even get Speed. The BBC feed isn't available over here. That's why folks like Dare and I spend race day trying to find bootleg feeds.

I like Speed's crew of Hobbs, Varsha & Co. better than the BBC. Speed delays quali by 10-15 minutes for some reason, so it screws with using T&S.

I personally never liked the Speed coverage, but they black it out where I live, so it's not really a choice anyway.  (I know that what makes a good sports commentator varies from viewer to viewer.  I guess I always listened to Walker and Brundle, so that's what I liked.)

We used to get the qualifying on Speed though, and I noticed that they would start the show 'live', and then 'pause' for commercial breaks.  So when they came back two minutes later, the action would resume from 2 minutes ago. (And then 4, then 6 etc.)  This was back when they had the 1 hour timed sessions.  I thought that was a pretty clever way to bridge the gap between live coverage, and having commercial sponsors.

David

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 07:07:23 PM »
Hope this doesn't happen, the BBC coverage is second to none. It's worth the licence alone IMO. They could cancel all the pathetic soap operas instead.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 07:42:32 PM »
More pathetic people watch the pathetic soap operas. F1 and Tennis are fairly expensive and have fairly low viewership so away they go. . And I don't know why you can't get speed, it's carried by almost every cable and satellite company. You need to come out of the boonies and re-enter civilization. :DD

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Ian

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 07:43:52 PM »
I also find that very selfish Jeri, it is us Brit's who pay the licence fee and I will be gutted if it goes commercial again, even worse would be scumbag sky. BBC has the best coverage of F1 by far and if you are receiving it for free you can't complain.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 07:56:54 PM »
More pathetic people watch the pathetic soap operas. F1 and Tennis are fairly expensive and have fairly low viewership so away they go. .

Tennis is different though - it's expensive because when a match runs long, they are stuck with their same fees, but lose out on the ad revenue from the shows that follow because they've been pre-empted.  At least Bernie has bowed down to the 2hr time limit, which rarely goes over, no matter what.  Networks can deal with it if they know it'll be over at a certain time.  Swiss TV doesn't carry more than 5min of pre-show and hits the switch as soon as the top 10 cars have gone over the finish line - they get what they pay for and don't even have to send anyone to the races (the commentating team is fantastic - way better than the on-site German morons at RTL - even though they're sitting in Zurich watching like the rest of us on TV).
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 08:00:27 PM »
And I don't know why you can't get speed, it's carried by almost every cable and satellite company.

Our rotten Republicrook city government cut a sweetheart deal with Time Worthless. They're the only cable allowed in town. $70/month for basic. Much higher than anywhere else around here, and far fewer channels. As for satellite, I'd need to move a mountain out of the way.
― Bob Dylan

Jugirl

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 08:39:49 PM »
Oh no! I hope it stays on the BBC I don't pay my TV Licence to watch re-runs of a live race

Ju

Williamsfan

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »
The possibility of no F1 or tennis on BBC?  I might as well give up on terrestrial TV now without either of them on it  :'(  Bad enough that WRC is on EPSN which means I would have to pay extra on top of the Sky TV subscription (I refuse however to pay that fee, so WRC is now just text based for me).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:09:27 PM by Williamsfan »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle