collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 363
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: BBC May Drop F1  (Read 11413 times)

Offline Dare

Re: BBC May Drop F1
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 09:54:39 PM »
And I don't know why you can't get speed, it's carried by almost every cable and satellite company.

Our rotten Republicrook city government cut a sweetheart deal with Time Worthless. They're the only cable allowed in town. $70/month for basic. Much higher than anywhere else around here, and far fewer channels. As for satellite, I'd need to move a mountain out of the way.

Our rotten Democrooked gov't here controls our cable.I refuse to deal with
the satellite companies here and their fine print contracts.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 10:19:47 PM »

The BBC has a signed contract until 2014 and I can't see Bernie letting them walk away without a big penalty, so I guess it's safe til then at least. ITV chucked the towel in a year early on their deal, at the end of 08, so sorry Jeri no chance of a return to terrestial commercial TV.  :yahoo:

This seems more of the same nonsense the Beeb was involved in last year, they were peeved about the settlement they got on the licence fee and the extra things they have been forced to take on. They said they were closing, amongst other things, 6 Music a digital radio channel for alternative & world music, however a large public backlash made them change course about 6. If we want to keep F1 on the Beeb the real answer is to make loads of noise and create such public protest that they will be unable to avoid negotiating a renewal for GPs; - Tennis can take care of itself.  :P

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 10:21:21 PM »
I also find that very selfish Jeri, it is us Brit's who pay the licence fee and I will be gutted if it goes commercial again, even worse would be scumbag sky. BBC has the best coverage of F1 by far and if you are receiving it for free you can't complain.

By the sound of it, the BBC may be coming up with a compromise that can help. I've heard it's gradually going to start implementing pay iPlayer for non-British audiences as a revenue-generating item. It'll probably be a long time before F1 can be included in the options, but it would help resolve this kind of thing.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 10:27:06 PM »
The possibility of no F1 or tennis on BBC?  I might as well give up on terrestrial TV now without either of them on it  :'(  Bad enough that WRC is on EPSN which means I would have to pay extra on top of the Sky TV subscription (I refuse however to pay that fee, so WRC is now just text based for me).

Due to the sheer cost of F1 (and the resulting unlikelihood of any other station wanting to pick up the tab without considerable planning), it's probably safe until 2014. However, Bernie had better be prepared to drop his demands if he expects the BBC to keep paying, especially since the BBC does things such as cross-programme promotion and sophisticated red button stuff that ITV won't do and the other British channels can't.

Tennis, as far as I can see, isn't going to be dropped by the BBC. However, it might be shared with another channel.

Interestingly, football is not under threat.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »
Interestingly, football is not under threat.

That's cos it's only really highlights of matches, purchased cut price from SKY to help stop the regulators unpicking the lucrative near monopoly Premiership deals.

Offline Ian

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 10:39:03 PM »
At least we got the 6 Nations on BBC.  :yahoo:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 11:04:06 PM »
I also find that very selfish Jeri, it is us Brit's who pay the licence fee and I will be gutted if it goes commercial again, even worse would be scumbag sky. BBC has the best coverage of F1 by far and if you are receiving it for free you can't complain.

I don't get it for free.  My cable bill is quite staggering really.  AND I get to have my coverage interrupted for commercial breaks.

You get F1 just for the cost of owning a TV.   :tease:

Honestly, the ideal situation (for me) would be for a Canadian produced F1 broadcast.  The Canadian GP used to be produced by the CBC, and Brian Williams would call the race along side Murray Walker.  Even had Greg Moore sit in the booth for a few minutes one day. 

(If he had lived... I'm sure we'd have a much stronger Canadian presence in F1 these days.)

Offline Ian

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 11:11:59 PM »
Not just the cost of a tv Jeri, the licence fee to receive tv is £145.50.  :P

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 11:57:05 PM »
Not just the cost of a tv Jeri, the licence fee to receive tv is £145.50.  :P

Yeah and you have to pay that even if you only ever watch commercial or satellite/cable TV. >:D 
So everyone in Britain pays for the BBC whether they watch it or not, it's just tax under a different name;  >:( National Insurance is similarily misnamed too.  :sick: 

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 12:45:04 AM »
You don't have to pay it if you only watch iPlayer or similar non-live services. Provided you are content to wait an hour or two for everything, you really can watch TV for the price of a TV, or a computer and broadband connection (many of us have fast enough connections to manage that).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 01:56:36 AM »
The possibility of no F1 or tennis on BBC?  I might as well give up on terrestrial TV now without either of them on it  :'(  Bad enough that WRC is on EPSN which means I would have to pay extra on top of the Sky TV subscription (I refuse however to pay that fee, so WRC is now just text based for me).

WRC on ESPN? in the states? I have found it on HD net, or some obscure channel like that, but i would love if it was on ESPN!

I have never seen the BBC's coverage, but personally i love the guys on speed, they know what they are talking about and they are entertaining!

Offline Andy B

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 07:32:23 AM »
I really do not think this will happen for a start they are contracted till 2014 and anything can happen by then but more so it is not just the British licence payer that foots the bill all F1 watched abroad supplied by the BBC has to be paid for so the numbers watching F1 curtsey of Aunty Beeb pays one way or the other. How many countries are paying for the Beeb to stream coverage to them?
Here in New Zealand we have BBC coverage and commentary including the practice days its supplied on Sky NZ and I pay for via Sky Sports HD NZ. :yahoo:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Williamsfan

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 08:21:12 AM »
Sorry PG, I meant ESPN UK which is different to the one you get in the states.

Offline Ian

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 09:40:43 AM »
Ali, If you have any means of receiving tv you have to have a tv licence, thats why you have to have one for your computer.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:43:02 AM by Ian »

Offline Scott

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 09:49:54 AM »
After looking at that, it does seem a bit stupid that they have it as a user fee instead of just building it into everyone's taxes.  After all, it basically applies to everyone from about 16yrs onwards on all of Britain. In fact I bet they probably lose more on the honour system it works on now than if they build it in.
 :fool: :fool:

Seems to me that you should just pay for the b&w license and if the tv police come calling, turn your tv to greyscale and tell them you're colour blind.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:53:34 AM by F1 Scott »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle