collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 363
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: BBC May Drop F1  (Read 11379 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: BBC May Drop F1
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 10:14:25 AM »
In fact I bet they probably lose more on the honour system it works on now than if they build it in.
 :fool: :fool:

They work from the assumption that every house has a TV and have been ruthless about enforcing collection of the fee, so much so that a few souls who choose not to have TVs have been hounded with constant threats of legal action and even had their houses searched several times. Anti terror cops seem tame compared to the ruthless efficiency of TV Licence enforcment

Even Student accomodation at Unis & Colleges gets the heavy handed treatment.
With a computerised national database and the reporting of who has purchased a TV, by law, the collection rate of the fee is over 99%.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 11:08:54 AM »
Wow - sounds a bit like the hotel/restaurant auditors here in Switzerland (we seem to get audited every 2-3 years and have to waste 2-3 days full-time to sit with them an explain every little expense and missing penny of revenue).

It sounds like a bit of make work project.  They have to maintain a massive database, and then they have enforcement officers only for TV licenses??  What better reason to build it straight into the taxes than getting rid of that massive bureaucracy?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »
WRC is on Discovery HD here in the States, not that many people can actually receive Discovery HD.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline aazz

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 04:11:18 PM »
This conversation has gone a bit over my head. In the UK do youse have to pay a fee to watch TV? Even free to air?
I can't think of anything to write here.

Williamsfan

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 05:48:51 PM »
In short aazz, yes, we do.  There is an annual fee called the 'license fee' which every household has to pay.  If not and you are caught out, you get fined.  That gets you 5 basic channels or you can buy a box for extra free to air channels.  Aside from that, you can get cable or satellite for the premium channels. 

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 06:06:15 PM »
You pat 145 a year for BBC programming, which is what, about 300 US? I pay 87 US per month for Comcast "Digital Preferred" so I get Speed (and like PG I like Varsha and Hobbs) and HD for WRC, though their coverage is not very good, and VS for IRL, and ESPN for just about everything else. Seems like you get a bargain.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 06:32:57 PM »
Ali, If you have any means of receiving tv you have to have a tv licence, thats why you have to have one for your computer.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

If you watch using a computer, you only need a TV licence if you watch some sort of live TV through it:

"You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands." (emphasis mine)

iPlayer is not a live service (it takes time, in some cases several hours, between the end of broadcast and the posting of that show to iPlayer) and therefore doesn't constitute activity requiring a TV licence. That's what I meant by my previous comment

If you happen to use the live-streaming feature of TV channels on the BBC, that is of course another matter entirely.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »
Seems to me that you should just pay for the b&w license and if the tv police come calling, turn your tv to greyscale and tell them you're colour blind.

This works fine until the inspectors ask you why you didn't simply go for the discounted rate for people with major vision-related disabilites (you get 50% off whichever rate applies to your TV). At that point the excuse may be seen through.

John S, I wonder whether the people who have been handed remembered to send in a declaration first (except students, who get re-checked at the beginning of each academic year until the year following graduation). Yes, there's a compulsory visit and search afterwards, but after that the rules say inspections should only be once every 2 years. If the searches are more frequent despite such a declaration, that would be a valid cause for legal investigation.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Online Dare

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 01:26:20 PM »
I keep getting visions of Fahrenheit 451.Men pulling up and
looking for tv's instead of books in hidden rooms and walls
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 02:07:37 PM »

John S, I wonder whether the people who have been handed remembered to send in a declaration first (except students, who get re-checked at the beginning of each academic year until the year following graduation). Yes, there's a compulsory visit and search afterwards, but after that the rules say inspections should only be once every 2 years. If the searches are more frequent despite such a declaration, that would be a valid cause for legal investigation.

Even one search is too much, they can't even search your home if you're suspected of commiting major crimes without just legal cause and then it often requires a court sanctioned warrant.

My big isssue is around the need for individuals to first deny then prove they do not receive TV signals rather than the other way round. Over the years there have been a few publicised cases of over zealousness by the TV licence enforcers, the main complaint now is about the constant monitoring and the regular need to keep declaring no TV ownership. All of this is in pursuit of funding for an organisation that champions freedoms for individuals every day on their news broadcasts. - Bah Humbug, amongst many other things.  :P 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline aazz

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 12:36:24 AM »
Television viewing in Britain seems to be an expensive exercise. In Australia we get about fourteen channels all for free (no licence fee either) all we have to buy is a digital receiver. And the best part of that is that Network 10 has the rights to the F1 here so we get the BBC coverage in HD. Qualifying and the race is shown live, although it is on at the dead of night.
I can't think of anything to write here.

Offline Monty

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 01:12:27 PM »
BBC (and us fans based in the UK) need more international channels to purchase coverage from the BBC so they can afford to keep F1.
I still think BBC do this type of live motor sport better than anyone so I hope they can find a method of funding future coverage.

Offline Scott

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 04:07:05 PM »
I think the problem is that they can only sell the audio rights - Bernie would never let the BBC re-sell the video broadcast.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Online Jericoke

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 12:01:04 AM »
I think the problem is that they can only sell the audio rights - Bernie would never let the BBC re-sell the video broadcast.

That would certainly explain why I never get any of this Eddie Jordan/DC stuff everyone talks about.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle