collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 285
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Sauber disqualified from Grand Prix  (Read 5594 times)

Williamsfan

Sauber disqualified from Grand Prix
« on: March 27, 2011, 02:14:57 PM »
They've lodged an appeal against it, but it seems Sauber have been in breach of the technical regulations which is a shame given both driver's great performances today.  From autosport.com:

Sauber duo disqualified from Australia   

By Pablo Elizalde   Sunday, March 27th 2011, 10:54 GMT

Sauber drivers Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi have been disqualified from the Australian Grand Prix over a technical infringement.

Perez, making his grand prix debut, had finished in a strong seventh position, one place ahead of his Japanese team-mate Kobayashi.

After the race, however, the race stewards excluded both cars over the infringement of technical rules 3.10.1 and 3.10.2.

The infringement occurred in the uppermost rear wing element.

Article 3.10.1 reads: "Any bodywork more than 150mm behind the rear wheel centre line which is between 150mm and 730mm above the reference plane, and between 75mm and 355mm from the car centre line, must lie in an area when viewed from the side of the car that is situated between 150mm and 350mm behind the rear wheel centre line and between 300mm and 400mm above the reference plane. When viewed from the side of the car no longitudinal cross section may have more than one section in this area.

"Furthermore, no part of this section in contact with the external air stream may have a local concave radius of curvature smaller than 100mm.

"Once this section is defined, 'gurney' type trim tabs may be fitted to the trailing edge. When measured in any longitudinal cross section no dimension of any such trim tab may exceed 20mm."

3.10.2 states: "Other than the bodywork defined in Article 3.10.9, any bodywork behind a point lying 50mm forward of the rear wheel centre line which is more than 730mm above the reference plane, and less than 355mm from the car centre line, must lie in an area when viewed from the side of the car that is situated between the rear wheel centre line and a point 350mm behind it."

The exclusion of the Sauber drivers means Ferrari's Felipe Massa is elevated to seventh, ahead of Toro Rosso's Sebastien Buemi, and Force India duo Adrian Sutil and Paul di Resta.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Sauber disqualified from Grand Prix
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 02:20:34 PM »

:o   O'er, ouch for Sauber.  :(

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »
wish I'd have seen this 15 minutes ago.Now I have to redo the GG
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Dare

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 02:45:24 PM »
Revised results
1. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
2. Lewis Hamilton McLaren
3. Vitaly Petrov Renault
4. Fernando Alonso Ferrari
5. Mark Webber Red Bull
6. Jenson Button McLaren
7. Felipe Massa Ferrari
8. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso
9. Adrian Sutil Force India
10. Paul di Resta Force India
11. Jaime Alguersuari Toro Rosso
12. Nick Heidfeld Renault
13. Jarno Trulli Lotus
14. Jerome D'Ambrosio Virgin

Not classified/retirements/disqualified:
Sergio Perez Sauber 58
Kamui Kobayashi 58
Timo Glock Virgin 50
Rubens Barrichello Williams 49
Nico Rosberg Mercedes 22
Heikki Kovalainen Lotus 19
Michael Schumacher Mercedes 19
Pastor Maldonado Williams 10

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 04:34:32 PM »
Brutal, absolutely brutal, after such a great finish by both drivers.  I have to go read more about this.   >:( >:(
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Williamsfan

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 04:41:30 PM »
Very brutal indeed Scott, hardly seems fair as I wonder how much difference any infringement made to the pace of the car.  I was very impressed with Perez today so it is a shame his performance will go down as a DQ.

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 04:43:58 PM »
I was a little concerned Hamilton might be dq'ed,the
Sauber dq shocked me aswell,Sauber said they will appeal

Williamsfan

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 04:46:47 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't have been too surprised to see him DQ'd from the race results given the state of the underside of his car.  I spent some of the morning checking to see if anything was being done against him. 

David

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »
I'm totally gutted to read this.  :(

I would say given their talent I would say Perez and Kobi will get another chance to shine. I look forward to watch these guys for the rest of the season.

Offline Ian

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 08:47:26 PM »
I wonder if the reaction to the DQ would have been the same had it been Michael Schumacher.  :tease:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Williamsfan

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 09:07:28 PM »
Nope, it would be hailed as a fair and just decision  :tease:

Only joking.  I think the sympathy at least from my on opinion is due to the fact Sauber are a smaller team and did a brilliant job today but seem to have fallen foul of something that is not really very clear.

Offline Ian

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 09:22:24 PM »
WF, I'm gutted for the pair of them as well, they both done a sterling job, especially Perez in his 1st GP, and on just one tyre change too.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 10:16:52 PM »
I wonder if the reaction to the DQ would have been the same had it been Michael Schumacher.  :tease:

or if MS pulled the bonehead maneuver that Ruben's made
today!They'd have cried bloody murder

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 10:32:40 PM »

According to Autosport the Sauber top wing failed the 100mm ball test.  :swoon: Yeah I know what the hell is that :DntKnw: well read the explanation below.
Apparently the prescribed curvature limit is an anti F-duct measure. I guess it depends on what Sauber find in their own investigation whether they continue with an appeal.

The rear wings did not comply with Articles 3.10.1 and 3.10.2 of the F1 Technical Regulations that demands wing parts do not have 'a local concave radius of curvature smaller than 100mm.'

This addition to the F1 regulations was introduced this year to prevent teams from running F-duct type systems. Its compliance is tested by the FIA using a 100mm ball template - which must remain in contact with the wing at all points.

Should the wing be too curved, as the Sauber design used in the race appeared to be, then the ball will have a gap between it and the wing.

Sauber technical director James Key said that he was seeking answers from the team's Hinwil factory as to why the design used in Melbourne had not passed the test.   

Autosport.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »
Peter Sauber should get the one thing that would assure that his cars would fly right through scrutineering - a bucket of Rosso Corsa paint. 
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle