collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 584
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Briatore: Ferrari should give up on this year  (Read 3956 times)

Offline Dare

Briatore: Ferrari should give up on this year
« on: April 02, 2011, 02:08:08 PM »
After just one race I think it's a bit drastic or is he trying to keep
his name in the news to be Bernie/s replacement for  Jean T

Former Renault team boss Flavio Briatore says Ferrari should switch their focus to next season as their gap to Red Bull out on track is an "eternity."

Despite appearing to match Red Bull during pre-season testing, Ferrari came up short last weekend in Australia.

The team's top qualifier, Fernando Alonso, was 1.44s behind Sebastian Vettel in qualifying while in the race, he could only manage fourth place, finishing 31.7s behind the Red Bull driver.

And although the Melbourne event was just the first race of the campaign, Briatore believes the gap between the Scuderia and the reigning World Champs is too big for Ferrari to close.

"It may sound absurd, but I think Ferrari should focus on the 2012 car," Briatore told Finland's Turun Sanomat newspaper.

"Ferrari, of course, have everything that is needed - engineering skills and resource - but the half a second to Red Bull is an eternity."

But it's not just Ferrari who Briatore believes should give up on this season. He also reckons Michael Schumacher should call it quits and call it quits for good.

"I've always been against Schumacher's return. No 40-year-old can be the same as a 20-year-old."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: Briatore: Ferrari should give up on this year
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »
First of all, second place still has tremendous value under Concorde.

Second... we saw last year that the reliability of of RBR can be a little suspect.  I know that Michael Schumacher won at least one championship because Ferrari was more reliable than McLaren.  You don't have to have the fastest car to win the championship, just the best.

Third... have the rules for 2012 been published?  Can we expect drastic changes again?  Is the engine formula set in stone?

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 03:41:21 PM »

I think it's more about giving Ferrari a kick up the pants in public to try to get them to raise their game for his own man Alonso. Briatore having years of experience as a team principal knows it's much too early to give up on this year's car, especially as McLaren turned their fortunes around in just two or three weeks.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

David

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 03:52:02 PM »
Briatore is an idiot! Why would somebody with his experience in the sport vomit such drivel?  >:(

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »
Blabio who?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 05:46:12 PM »
Flav, for someone who gave F1 it's biggest black eye I say to you...STFU.  :nono:
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Williamsfan

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 09:03:50 PM »
Definitely a case of Flavio trying to prevent people forgetting him.  I'll remember his sweaty shirts without doubt, and his cheating.  And his mouth that never stopped despite never engaging with his brain. 

Offline Cam

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 12:45:52 AM »
I am sure that after the initial shock of realising how profound and significant this sage advice is, that everybody at Maranello has been working all weekend to rejig their engineering development plans along these lines.

Likewise Im sure MS has spent the weekend visiting prospective retirement villages in the cantons.

There is no sound basis for anythign he is saying, on so many levels, its either an april fools story, or Flavio has lost it completely, my money would be on the former, but wouls still give you reasonable odds on the latter.

Remember the first race of2010, Alonso won and everyone was crying about how boring the year was going to be?

p.s. last year there was a story about Alonso and Webber swapping teams that came out about this time of year.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:49:14 AM by Cam »
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 03:20:52 AM »
I'm surprized he didn't say Felipe must leard to crash when he hears the message "You are too slow, Felipe. Do you understand?"

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Andy B

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 08:34:27 AM »
I agree with him!! :good:
Ferrari should stop all developement  for 2011 and set a high target for 2012 or maybe they should not even compete in F1 and should build a bike and race in Moto GP.

Alonso should retire and become a lifeguard in Malaga.
Massa will also be out of work and will live in a retirement home as companion to Rubins.
MS should open a shop in Berlin selling Ferrari parts.
Oh! And Flav should give all his dosh to me to live a life following the GP circus, along with clowns, around the world.

There sorted!! :yahoo:
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 09:15:40 AM »
Ferrari should stop all developement  for 2011 and set a high target for 2012 or maybe they should not even compete in F1 and should build a bike and race in Moto GP.

Alonso should retire and become a lifeguard in Malaga.
Massa will also be out of work and will live in a retirement home as companion to Rubins.
MS should open a shop in Berlin selling Ferrari parts.
Oh! And Flav should give all his dosh to me to live a life following the GP circus, along with clowns, around the world.

There sorted!! :yahoo:

:good: Makes sense to me!  :DD :DD :tease:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 12:24:26 PM »

Actually, they're going to build a real F150 for Kimi to run in the NASCAR Truck Series.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »
That would be interesting. Unfortunately KBR runs Toyotas. Who would have thought we would see Kimi in a Toyota?

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 05:43:28 AM »
I think we can thank kubica for Kimi heading to NASCAR
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 12:02:36 PM »
That would be interesting. Unfortunately KBR runs Toyotas. Who would have thought we would see Kimi in a Toyota?

Lonny

It's perfect for Kimi. Nobody will care when he totals out those junkers.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle