collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 234
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16168 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13004 Posts
John S John S
11284 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Review on the iPad 2  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Scott

Review on the iPad 2
« on: March 17, 2011, 06:19:27 PM »
Short, sweet, and whether any of you want to believe it or not, it's the gawd awful truth. 

http://gizmodo.com/#!5782982/ipad-2-review

Last sentence in second paragraph says it all for me...the others only exist because it does, yet they'll never quite live up to it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:49:02 PM by Wizzo »

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Wizzo

Re: Review on the iPad 2
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 09:35:46 PM »
Even I'm buying one for Mrs Wiz Scott as its perfect for her. I showed her one and her first question- Where's the keyboard?  :fool:

I just hope I can get my hands on one. http://www.webpronews.com/ipad-2-scalped-in-new-york-city-2011-03
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 10:59:58 PM »
Scott, did you get one? If so I'm very jealous!  :tease:

My iPad 1 remains the best tech investment I've ever made. For me the addition of the cameras does nothing for me as 1. They are low quality no good for stills and 2. I have no desire to do Facechat calling other than the initial thrill.
When iPad 3 is released next year and they increase the display resolution I will make the jump. For anyone though considering the jump to a tablet, consider this.....find a NEGATIVE review of the iPad 2..... You won't except for biased Apple haters. The iPad defined the market and everyone else is trying to catch up, with no comers so far. They (Apple) will dominate the market as they did with the iPod.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 08:26:41 AM »
No, I have the original...but like you, I'll hopefully make the jump when #3 comes out...I'll have to plan the 'accident' carefuly, as I doubt the one I have now will die on its own, and my wife doesn't believe in upgrades. ;)

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 09:43:22 AM »
I bet she'd upgrade you Scott.  :DD  :DD
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 10:39:46 AM »
Not before she breaks me  :P :P

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 02:07:10 PM »
How about test drives, will she at leat compromise on that?  :o  :DD  :DD
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 01:20:47 PM »
Oh No! I purchased an iPad for Mrs Wiz and I have to say that after 4 days with it I have been forced to return it for a full refund and purchase a laptop.

I always knew the iPad could never replace a laptop but there were some major flaws that I couldn't overcome. The lack of flash is just sole destroying with website after website that she uses regularly being unusable. Even when shopping on it she had to zoom into the websites to see them properly thus meaning she was now scrolling left and right as well as up and down. Then to cap it all there is no facility (or app) that can save your emails in separate folders when using a pop server?? Add this to the fact you cannot print unless you buy/already have a compatible wireless or network printer (via app).

You can't say I didn't try, I can live with one or two failings but not all of them. I really wanted this to work and thought it would be ideal for a Mrs Wiz as her computing needs are minimal. Sorry iPad, I've never looked at a laptop thinking 'oh well it can't do that' or 'I wonder if there's a work around?'

It is, I'm sure the best Tablet on the market but then a tablet just isn't going to replace a laptop but for £500 I expected more.  :(
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:25:15 PM by Wizzo »
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Wizzo

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
Hey Wizzo, all those were known 'issues', especially if you had already owned an iPhone.  Without going through all the plus's, I would say my iPad could never replace my laptop or desktop, but when I'm on the go, it does absolutely everything I need.

For email, I read and delete on the iPad and save those I want to in subfolders on my laptop.

As for the flash issue, the market that the iP's (pad, phone and pod) have is too large for websites to ignore.  I cast my vote every time I surf away from a flash infested website (except GPWiz chat of course - it's worth lugging around my laptop for the once every two week race).  Adobe is going to have to come to an agreement with Apple soon over flash, or they will see their market share go down.  There actually is already an app out there called Cloud Browse that allows you to remotely browse flash sites through their server, including flash.  It's a bit clunky, but if you MUST view flash, it works just fine (oh yeah, it's free...imagine if anyone at Microsoft could say that word).

Besides, is it such a bad thing to stop Mrs Wizzo from shopping online?   :P

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 05:26:42 PM »
I think I was expecting too much Scott as I thought Mrs Wiz could use the iPad 90% of the time but it seems it would be 50/50 and there is no point in a light user having to switch between two devices.

As for the Flash, who knows? The iPhone was launched 4 years ago and nothings been done about it yet. Someones going to loose out, its just unfortunate that at the moment its the user. The saving of emails had never even crossed my mind as I use my iPhone just as a quick check device.

If Apple got a decent email client, made the screen bigger and sorted out their differences with Adobe then the iPad would be unstoppable. iPad3 maybe? Other tablets are catching up with some reviews now matching the iPad's score but these manufacturers are firmly riding on a wave that Apple started and rightly so they are still out ahead of the game.

Wizzo

Offline Slugger

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 05:56:37 PM »
Decent email client?!? It's called Apple Mail ;-p

Williamsfan

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 06:23:10 PM »
I love my original iPad, not worth upgrading yet but might consider it for iPad 3 when that is released.  Fantastic piece of kit and my mum bought one and now uses the web whereas she never bothered to learn with a laptop.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle