collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 218
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16175 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13015 Posts
John S John S
11291 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The Donald to Drive Indy Pace Car  (Read 2418 times)

Offline cosworth151

The Donald to Drive Indy Pace Car
« on: April 13, 2011, 02:14:10 PM »
Who will drive the pace car for the 100th Anniversary Indianapolis 500? Not A.J. Not Mario. Not Unser or Lone Star J.R.

The Donald.

Yes, I mean the "Reality" TV icon, would-be politician, thrice bankrupt billionare and poster boy for cheap toupees Donald Trump. Steven Cole Smith summed it up best on AutoWeek.com:

"Osama Bin Laden would be worse. Or everyone's favorite warlock, Charlie Sheen. Lindsay Lohan. Bernie Madoff. The Unabomber. Maybe O. J. Simpson. Satan, D. B. Cooper, Muammar Gadhafi. The guy in Colorado who claimed his son was floating away in a balloon. Kim Jong Il. Much of the Survivor cast."

He has no connection to racing, Indianapolis, Indiana or anything else relevant. If IRL head and former bull boffin Randy Bernard has any logical reason for this, he's keeping it to himself.

No word yet on whether Randy also plans to replace Jim Nabors singing "Back Home Again in Indiana" with William Hung singing "She Bangs."

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Canada Darrell™

Re: The Donald to Drive Indy Pace Car
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »
They left out the fact that his ego single-handidly killed the USFL as well.  :nono:
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 07:54:53 PM »

The answer is the great masses of the unwashed out there have all heard of D. Trump esquire, his presence in the pace car assures the Centenary 500 a whole lot of extra pre-race media coverage in media that would not normally be interested in the event.

A J, Mario, or Unser's presence, although much more fitting, will not gain all the media flurry that Trump's name will generate. If Randy's remit is to bring new audiences to Indy and the IRL, this seemingly stupid pace car driver choice just may turn out to be a very good marketing ploy.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 08:36:54 PM »
Good point John.  Much like Paris Hilton, people want to see The Donald only for the curiosity sake (Most thing "How did this nobody get so much media attention?").
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 09:16:03 PM »
Good point John.  Much like Paris Hilton, people want to see The Donald only for the curiosity sake (Most thing "How did this nobody get so much media attention?").

Still... the lowest hanging fruit for the IRL are the fans that left in the 90s (i.e, me).  They don't really need new fans, just get back the lapsed ones.  Donald Trump is not going to bring us back.

The only good reason I can see for this is if it's a condition (or effort) for Trump to buy into a team, a track, or sponsor the sport.  Selling the rights to drive the pace car isn't a bad away to get the billionaires' attention.  Trump can buy and sell a thousand Corvettes, but there will only ever be one 100th anniversay pace car. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 10:27:09 PM »

The answer is the great masses of the unwashed out there have all heard of D. Trump esquire, his presence in the pace car assures the Centenary 500 a whole lot of extra pre-race media coverage in media that would not normally be interested in the event.

A J, Mario, or Unser's presence, although much more fitting, will not gain all the media flurry that Trump's name will generate. If Randy's remit is to bring new audiences to Indy and the IRL, this seemingly stupid pace car driver choice just may turn out to be a very good marketing ploy.

With Trump's new persona are radical right wing political hack/bat crazy birther, he might drive away more fans than he draws. I haven't missed an Indy 500 for decades, going back to when I had to listen to them on a transistor radio. If they're going to turn it into a political rally for Dimwit Donald, I want no part of it.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 04:29:44 AM »
The fact that we are discussing this indicates Randy has a point. While a former driver would be more appropriate and probably safer, the Donald will generate wider interest. I don't like it, but I understand it.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle