collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 377
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Why Alonso wasn't penalized for illegally using DRS in China  (Read 5190 times)

Offline Canada Darrell™

Why Alonso wasn't penalized for illegally using DRS in China
« on: April 17, 2011, 06:00:54 PM »

Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Jericoke

Re: Why Alonso wasn't penalized for illegally using DRS in China
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »
I know people were concerned about this.

Was the problem Ferrari's?  In which case, just because he didn't 'gain an advantage', he should still be penalised for the team's mistake.

If the problem was the FIA's, they need to be open about it, or else people are going to wonder if they're engaging in race fixing.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:46:02 PM »
Or Ferrari has a secret little switch?  I think it is too obvious if they are actually trying to cheat.  Stuff like this will spoil season outcomes if it happens again.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

David

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 10:08:21 PM »
I doubt there was any cheating involved, just a glitch IMO but one they should keep an eye on. If that were to open at the wrong time or not close it could cause a problem.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:37:54 PM »
This brings up the question of who is responsible for the DRS control software. Is it developed by the individual teams, or part of the standardized ECM package? The ECM would be the logical place to put it, since it is supposed to be the same for all teams.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 03:10:31 AM »
What about Massa crossing the white line exiting the pits? Ferrari gets slack no other team gets.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 03:28:22 AM »
Lon, Massa pitted on laps 16 & 33 and although he did cross the white line immediately exiting the pits, he came back before he hit the cutoff line. All perfectly legal. If you still have the race recorded go back and check or try Youtube.

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 07:17:21 AM »
I think every driver straight-lined out of the pit lane, but the penalty line must only be the line as they join the track...makes you wonder why they put that curved white line on the pit exit at all.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 07:26:07 AM »
I think every driver straight-lined out of the pit lane, but the penalty line must only be the line as they join the track...makes you wonder why they put that curved white line on the pit exit at all.

Probably to give the drivers the warning and a lead-in reference to the cutoff point. Safer  than putting a marker of some kind on the track.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »
The FIA says Alonso's DRS was activated some 400m late on that lap, which is their fault I think. That caused it to remain activated too long. Here, I thought applying the brakes for the corner shut it off, but apparently not. The FIA's ruling was that it was a technical glitch, not Ferrari's fault, offered no advantage and therefore incurred no penalty.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 03:24:15 PM »
This whole thing sounds like the exact kind of mess that many of us feared. There are just too many things that can go wrong with a rule this complicated.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

David

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 07:51:10 PM »
It's my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, that the DRS is controlled by the FIA's standard ECU? In this case the software glitch would be an FIA problem and not Ferrari's as they have no influence on how that operates.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »
It's my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, that the DRS is controlled by the FIA's standard ECU? In this case the software glitch would be an FIA problem and not Ferrari's as they have no influence on how that operates.

Which opens the possibility of the FIA rigging races.

If the Ferrari 'malfunctions' and the FIA says it's 'okay', what are we supposed to believe?
(I'm not suggesting this is true, but the FIA needs to eliminate this perception.)

Alternatively, assuming it is an innocent mistake, what if the DRS had accidentally deployed while Alonso was defending for position, and he takes out Webber?  The FIA is supposed to be making things safer, not causing crashes.  (I was gonig to say trying pass Webber, but that's just not believable...  >:D )

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle