collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 545
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Murdoch Might Take F1 Pay-Per-View  (Read 12902 times)

Offline Ian

Re: Murdoch Might Take F1 Pay-Per-View
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 03:07:37 PM »
I pay £145.50 for a tv licence, this goes to the BBC who at the moment screen F1 so in effect I am on PPV. If F1 goes to Sky, I not only still have to pay £145.50 for the tv licence I also then have to pay Sky to watch it, so I am paying twice for the same thing. If that happens they can stick F1 where the sun does'nt shine. Sky has ruined football for the fans by dictating to the clubs when they play. A pox on Sky.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2011, 06:44:40 PM »

Not to pick on Cos in particular, but what's the hate on PPV?  Watching a 2 hour race for the same price as a two hour movie strikes me as fair.  I wouldn't pay the same rates as boxing PPV, but $5 or $10 a race, with a proper pre/post race show and no commercials would be fine.

It's more about the principle Jeri, F1 coverage has always been on terrestrial TV in Britain funded either from the licence fee or adverts when commercial TV showed it. There does not appear to be a sound reason behind a change, e.g. F1's financial health, so most of us over here can't see any merit in PPV. Indeed the big downside is we shall all have to pay for something we take for granted is already funded by us, either directly or indirectly. Any extra charge, however small it start's off at, will cause most of us to desert the official TV coverage  >:( and maybe even F1.  :'(

Now if F1 does go PPV the much hyped idea of a rival series, especially if it's on the so called 'free to air' channels could become an unstoppable force. Ferrari, Mercedes McLaren and almost certainly Red Bull would all gain a lot from such a breakaway. The first three would most likely do it to free themselves from the FOM & FIA constraints and keep their high income from sponsors, RBR for more straight forward commercial reasons - you can sell more cans if many more people see the racing. ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2011, 08:56:14 PM »
The last part of what John said is exactly why F1 will not become PPV.  Boxing works because there are hardly any sponsors (and not many WANT to be sponsors) to see during a match.  They needed PPV to survive as a broadcast sport. 

F1 is the exact opposite.  If there is a second in F1 where you can't see a logo of some kind, someone has not done their job properly.  If F1 goes PPV, the sponsors will desert the sport and look for something else.

In the mean time, if somehow clear thinking doesn't understand that, and Murdock actually is able to bring it in until the breakaway series gets up and running, we will all have to wait for the pirate version of each race to pop up on the internet a day or two later.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2011, 09:07:10 PM »
What's to like about PPV. I'd have to almost double my monthly cable bill just to be able to get PPV. I'm already paying Time Worthless a small fortune every month. Why should I double that just so I can pay even more for what I'm already paying for.

If most people stopped paying for PPV, what would they do? Stop televising the sport or take it free again.

Back in the 90's, they tried to take the NASCAR race at Pocono PPV. The fans not only boycotted the broadcast, they boycotted the race, the race's title sponsor and anyone else involved. That was they end of NASCAR PPV.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 11:24:25 PM »
For what its worth our local NHL hockey team had about 12-15 of their 82 games/year as PPV events. You had to call your local cable company and pay $12 for Slum-Def or $16 for HD to watch the game. They had been doing this for about the past 10 years I think.

Then suddenly this year there were no more PPV games and all 82 games were televised on regular cable. The games that would have been PPV were moved to a channel that required me to add another tier to my cable package but that only added about $4 to my monthly bill. Still a huge savings for me rather than purchasing 12 games @ $16 each!

So Cos is right. Stay away. Don't pay. They'll eventually see the light and come crawling back. They might control the media but we control them through our money.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Jeff Benson

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:05:47 AM by Jeff Benson »

Offline Dare

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 03:06:27 PM »
I'd be willing to pay the Speed Channel a fair price for
monthly streaming,say $7 a month.They'd receive extra
income and many make many F1 fans happy,but it
won't happen
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2011, 05:10:24 PM »
Bernie now says that he has an agreement with the EU to block this sale, though a couple of commentators already said the EU probably wouldn't permit it. What is being discussed is adding a PPV for a small fee that would provide extra coverage like more in car, more pit coverage etc. You might even be able to choose for example, a McLaren feed which would highlight the Mclaren Team. All very what if so far.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2011, 08:04:19 PM »
As long as starting down that road doesn't lead to poorer coverage for the free-to-air version and more extensive for PPV.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2011, 11:58:27 PM »
As long as starting down that road doesn't lead to poorer coverage for the free-to-air version and more extensive for PPV.

Yeah, like "if you want the HD you gotta pay for it!"  :nono:
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, 01:17:44 PM »
I heard this on the way to work yesterday morning. NPR sports correspondent Frank Deford on how PPV killed boxing.

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/11/136149104/pacman-last-of-the-great-boxers
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, 03:05:04 PM »
I heard this on the way to work yesterday morning. NPR sports correspondent Frank Deford on how PPV killed boxing.

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/11/136149104/pacman-last-of-the-great-boxers

PPV works fine for Wrestling and MMA.  (Not that I'm suggesting it would work for F1... just pointing out that PPV isn't the problem with boxing.)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2011, 05:28:10 PM »
It looks like this idea died with Murdoch's bid for B-sky-B.
― Bob Dylan

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2011, 05:49:17 PM »
Hopefully Murdoch and F1 is a thing of the past.  There are times when F1 doesn't cover itself in glory, and selling out to News International or News Corp or any Murdoch group at the moment wouldn't help.  It seems to be a group without any conscience or sense of Justice.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2011, 08:28:01 PM »

It seems to be a group without any conscience or sense of Justice.

Sounds like a perfect fit for the FIA and Bernie.  ;) :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle