collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 376
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 4
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: It's a sad say for Ireland  (Read 5013 times)

Offline Scott

It's a sad say for Ireland
« on: May 14, 2011, 08:51:01 PM »
The EuroVision competition is on once again.  For our North American cousins, it is a music competition between countries in Europe.  It is generally full of controversy (generally countries vote as blocks, so either Lapland or an obscure Eastern European country always wins) and not a whole lot of talent.  For some reason that is beyond me, the most ridiculous acts get chosen to represent countries.  Thankfully this year Switzerland has a decent (and not too bad looking) singer.

Ireland?  Oh, so sorry David, but Ireland this year is a complete disgrace.  They are represented by what appears to be children's entertainers named Jedward.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedward

Here is the act that was on EuroVision -

Finally, something I just don't get here either, is that this concert, which takes place in the largest stadium in Europe, is entirely in playback (lip-sync).  In North America people would walk out of a concert that was playback.  You can get away with it on a TV show or movie, but live?  Forget it.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Canada Darrell™

Re: It's a sad say for Ireland
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:29:09 PM »
Finally, something I just don't get here either, is that this concert, which takes place in the largest stadium in Europe, is entirely in playback (lip-sync).  In North America people would walk out of a concert that was playback.  You can get away with it on a TV show or movie, but live?  Forget it.

Hmm, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Madonna, Lady Puke Gaga...all performers whom the idiot masses line up for in droves to see "Live" but who all rely heavily on canned vocals and backing tracks.

Not just picking on female performers but these types of acts are pet peeves of mine. Quit dancin' and try to perform. Somebody pick up an instrument fer gods sakes!

"Hey hey, my my Rock and roll can never die" my friends!

Hopefully kids will wake up one day!

You made 2 arguments, and I agree with your first one..that Irish "Act" SUCKED!!!!!!  :good: :good: :good: :good: But I will agree with you in principle...some acts SHOULD lip-sync...anyone see the Black Eyed Poo Pees on the last Superbowl?

Here's how sad the state of the music biz is these days...this girl has made in EXCESS of $1,000,000 from iTunes ALONE with this clap trap...(yes folks, it has been viewed on Youtube over 139,000,000 times!)  :confused:

Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

David

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 09:59:34 AM »
Thankfully the great Jedward were representing Southern Ireland (Eire), I'm from Northern Ireland so I lay claim to the UK act. I have to agree that our friends from the south made a bold move nominating these two plonkers. To be honest your video is the first time I had heard their song. I know the UK one because it was a famous boy band from the 90's (Blue) that were performing and the song is always on the radio.

Listen to me, you think I care about Eurovision, has to be the worst thing we have to endure annually.  :crazy:

I'm just glad the missus watched it in the other room this year. While I watched Foo Fighters live at Radio 1's Big Weekend. Awesome!  :good:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:27:39 PM by David »

Online cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 12:52:56 PM »
Dang, Darrell, dissing on Lady Gaga and The Black Eyed Peas? I didn't realize that you were that much older than me.  ;)

As for the auto-tuned teenager, even my 11 year old grand daughter has outgrown her.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 03:06:07 PM »
Dang, Darrell, dissing on Lady Gaga and The Black Eyed Peas? I didn't realize that you were that much older than me.  ;)

As for the auto-tuned teenager, even my 11 year old grand daughter has outgrown her.

Nope not dissing. Great studio acts but can't do sh*t on stage.  ;)

As for Girl Friday....over $1,000,000 on iTunes! Apple gets a flat 30% and she's got over 1.4 million downloads at $.99 each!  :confused:

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 03:41:14 PM »

Nope not dissing. Great studio acts but can't do sh*t on stage.  ;)

As for Girl Friday....over $1,000,000 on iTunes! Apple gets a flat 30% and she's got over 1.4 million downloads at $.99 each!  :confused:

Is there any real difference Darrell between apple taking their cut or the big record companies raking off most of the money from artists work?  :confused:

I have to admit I can hardly comment objectively on the pop music made by youngsters now. I vowed in my twenties never to take the view of an old fart against young peoples culture, but boy it's hard to stick with that sometimes.

When I was a lad the Who, the Pretty Things and plenty of other musical groups got the older generation all riled up over the music and the on stage antics, now we regard a lot of the stuff as classic even though the live performances were often crap as they couldn't play their instruments, or sing, well.

As for the Eurovision song contest I watch it as a comedy show, makes a change from the usual bunch of wannabee shows, dating dilemmas and panel games that are on. Just for the record Jeward were not the worst act/song on the bill, you do not want to be exposed to some of the others without a stiff drink in your hand. :D :DD

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 04:08:54 PM »
Is there any real difference Darrell between apple taking their cut or the big record companies raking off most of the money from artists work?  :confused:

Man can we derail a thread or what?  :DD :DD :DD

There's a HUGE difference between Apple and the record companies. Apple gets 30% and you the artist get 70%. Black-and-white. 30% is not "most of the money". Apple supplies the store front, the delivery system, the logistics and the accounting. You get a cheque based 100% on what you sold.

No corporate accountants to get in the way. No greedy middle-men. No sleezy promoter to pay. Back in the day when we were buying LP's HUGE artists (Pink Floyd, Van Halen) were lucky to get $1.00 from the sale of a $10 record; smaller artists a pittance....

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 04:53:08 PM »

Man can we derail a thread or what?  :DD :DD :DD

There's a HUGE difference between Apple and the record companies. Apple gets 30% and you the artist get 70%. Black-and-white. 30% is not "most of the money". Apple supplies the store front, the delivery system, the logistics and the accounting. You get a cheque based 100% on what you sold.

No corporate accountants to get in the way. No greedy middle-men. No sleezy promoter to pay. Back in the day when we were buying LP's HUGE artists (Pink Floyd, Van Halen) were lucky to get $1.00 from the sale of a $10 record; smaller artists a pittance....

Sorry mate, I read your comments as Apple profiteering. I guess their cut is no different to the cut a record store gets from music, and as you say artists can take more from downloads, that's as long as they own the copyright.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 05:30:51 AM »
Record companies had some interesting accounting practices, still, perusing Apple's site is not as much fun as wandering around Mr Zip's record store reading album covers and listening to previews.

Lonny
Lonny

Online cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »
NPR Morning Edition did a brief report on Eurovision this morning. they described it as, "A collection of over-the-top pop sung in English mostly by people who don't speak it."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 01:57:14 PM »
NPR Morning Edition did a brief report on Eurovision this morning. they described it as, "A collection of over-the-top pop sung in English mostly by people who don't speak it."

I'd say that was a perfect description, the only thing to add is that the lyrics are also written by people who mostly don't use English a whole lot.  :D 

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »
Record companies had some interesting accounting practices, still, perusing Apple's site is not as much fun as wandering around Mr Zip's record store reading album covers and listening to previews.

Lonny
Ain't that the truth! I was reminiscing in my head the other day of the many trips with friends to the many record stores in downtown Vancouver in my youth. Now they're all gone.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 05:16:10 AM »
I've still got a few left, but they seem to get grungier and deal more in used stuff. And Barnes and Noble, which is practically next door, has replaced about half of their music with DVDs. Sigh, sometimes I hate computers, and Apple. >:(

Lonny
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:55:43 PM by lkjohnson1950 »
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 05:34:59 AM »
I've still got a few left, but they seem to get grungier and deal more in used stuff. And Barnes and Noble, which is practically next door, has replaced about half of their music with DVDs. Sigh, sometimes I hate computers, OH, and Apple. >:(

Lonny

OK, I'll bite Lonny. I assume from that responce you are a "PC"...so with the huge installed base of Windows vs. Mac what is the big beef with Apple?
For the record, I have 2 PC's in the house that are the backbone for everything I do  with about 10TB of media and music storage. My HTPC is a PC. I do have a MAC and an iPad and my daughter has an iPod. I used to use the MAC for video editing but that has rapidly transitioned to Premiere Pro on the PC.

Online cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 12:49:46 PM »
Sigh, sometimes I hate computers, OH, and Apple. >:(

Lonny

What's wrong with Ohio?  :DntKnw:
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle