collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 371
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: My dreams have come true  (Read 4729 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

Re: My dreams have come true
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 11:40:59 PM »
Congratulations Jugirl! Have an absolutely spectacular time!

Will you be camping and where will you be watching from? I did indeed go to Silverstone in 2009 (good timing too, seeing as it was the race where Force India's fortunes demonstrably turned). If there's anything you'd like me to tell you, please ask and I'll do my best to answer :)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Wats-on

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 05:53:49 AM »
Yeah, have a great time and DO NOT forget ear plugs! Ahum... I did once... ;)

Enjoy it and we will be waiting a full report!  ::)
You're smart if you believe only half of what you're told. You're brilliant if you know what half to believe...

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 12:21:32 PM »
Excellent news Jugirl, I know you will have a great time and make sure you take lots of pics for us to see.  :good:
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »
4:30 am is very early. Rest assured it will be worth it. I went to Silverstone for the day in 2002 (it was for qualifying, back in the days of 12 laps) and set off at 6:00 am. Would have made it in time for the first morning practise had the fan belt not broke. (Don't worry, a very nice person in Lutterworth fixed it and we got to the track in time to see Eddie Irvine do his in-lap at the end of the second morning practise).

I doubt Fernando will think you are a stalker if he sees you - he's used to people doing rather more than just being seen. Of course, this being F1, it will be difficult to impossible to get more than just "seen".

Personally, I used full industrial ear defenders and standard earphones. The ear defenders give maximum protection from loud cars and even louder planes (the Typhoon that did a demo at the end of the year I was there probably damaged several people's hearing and was somewhat painful even with aforementioned protection), while being comfortable to wear all day. You can also secure your hat using the strap that goes over your head if it gets windy, as Silverstone sometimes does.

The earphones are good because they will enable you to listen to 87.7 FM - Silverstone's very own radio channel - or the FanVision device. The radio is much cheaper, but make sure that your portable radio can pick up sound that low because some budget devices don't. FanVision is much more expensive. I found collecting its predecesor, the Kangaroo, a pain in the neck and didn't think it provided enough information, but many people find the device indispensable.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Williamsfan

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 09:13:34 PM »
I went to Silverstone 3 years running (and saw Alonso on the top step) from 2005-2007, I sat on the pit straight each time, even though it was expensive it was worth it for me to see the home straight and the stuff on the pre-race build up.  I also went on a coach trip for the day, I'd recommend if going alone to find someone to tag on to each time.  I met someone the first year on the coach who I met the third time.  Another time I chatted to someone from New Zealand which was cool.  At the venue there are loads of things to do which eat your money!  The shops there are amazing for merchandise too.  In 2007 when I went I won the chance to use the Kangaroo TV unit which was a brilliant thing to have at the race (made me glad I turned down the £50 offer I had for it from some guy :D

I must admit I didn't bother about headphones, I put up with temporary hearing loss for two days but it was worth it for me.  Hearing those cars all rev up on the starting grid was sensational, feeling the grandstand vibrate just showed how much power the cars had.

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 09:23:08 PM »

Personally, I used full industrial ear defenders and standard earphones. The ear defenders give maximum protection from loud cars and even louder planes does.

Ear defenders Alia? kinda defeats the object of experiencing F1.  :confused: 

I've found, on the last two occasions I've been to the British GP,  a good pair of over the ears mini headphones attached to a small radio with radio Silverstone on is just right to get the info on what's happening and still appreciate that glorious F1 roar. :yahoo: :yahoo:

My best tips are take chocolate, plenty of snacks, drinks and lightweight extra clothing in your haversack, it can get chilly even in July at Silverstone. = But most of all Enjoy the day.  :yahoo:

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 03:41:02 AM »
Take it from someone who listened to F1 cars standing on the grid, 750 2 stroke bikes at 190 MPH, Can-Am V8s, Indy cars, Sports Cars, if you want to take a listen to the cars without earplugs, great. But 20 years from now, if you don't want to be wearing hearing aids like me, wear the earplugs for 95% of the race.  :D                                                     

Lonny   
Lonny

Offline andyb

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 07:32:30 AM »
I like your thinking Williamsfan! It is much better to go with someone and guess what Ju...My mum has only gone and got me a ticket too :D!!
So if you fancy watching it together and cheering on our prancing horses just let me know :D

Andyb
Prancing Horse rules!

Offline Scott

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 10:40:38 AM »
I'm with Lonny on this one.  You can always take the earplugs out for a bit, but if you happen to be walking around the track and get close when a car comes by in anger, you'll be happy you had them in.  Just ask Ian what it was like in Monza when the cars suddenly came out of the tunnel when we were standing nearby.  I kept mine in most of the time.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 06:45:19 PM »
If you forget your earplugs, there will be people there who will gladly sell you a pair for 10 to 12 times what they normally cost.  :D

I think we had a thread up a few years ago about what all to take to an F1 race.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 02:04:15 PM »

Personally, I used full industrial ear defenders and standard earphones. The ear defenders give maximum protection from loud cars and even louder planes does.

Ear defenders Alia? kinda defeats the object of experiencing F1.  :confused: 

If you had sensitive ears, you'd do the same. Running out of the venue screaming due to sensory overload kinda defeats the object of experiencing F1 and doesn't help the people around you to experience it either. Defenders take the volume to a tolerable level without cutting out the sonic beauty of the machinery (or the teeth-grinding dissonances of a failing F1 engine or broken nose assembly, as I found out to my cost when I went for the 2002 qualifying).

My best tips are take chocolate, plenty of snacks, drinks and lightweight extra clothing in your haversack, it can get chilly even in July at Silverstone. = But most of all Enjoy the day.  :yahoo:

These tips, on the other hand, I wholeheartedly second. Chocolate may melt if the race is in a heatwave, but it's great for eating on the way down and if you put it in a suitable container, you can always have your very own ultra-cheap hot chocolate drink after the race ;) (I'm not kidding - expect to pay over £2 for a cup of hot beverage from the stands). Prices tend to be better at the track than at the campsites for some reason, but food from home is much cheaper than both, so bring a substantial packed lunch and tea if you can fit them in your haversack.

In 2009, it never got above 20 degrees, so I was wearing a coat (though if you're travelling light and no rain is forecast, a light but warm top is a better choice). Also remember sunscreen and a soft towel (to dry yourself down if it rains, to protect your neck if it's hot - and sometimes Silverstone switches between the two states in the same day).
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)

Offline Ian

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2011, 08:29:10 AM »
Great one Ju, I am really over the moon for you, you are gonna love it. Scott is right, wear your earplugs, it hurts, but you still have to take them sometimes to appreciate the beautiful raw music. Go on, give Fernando a flash, I dare you.  :tease:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Ian

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2011, 09:41:35 AM »
Thanks Ju, holiday was great ta. I got to see Spanish GP but the commentary was in Turkish.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle