collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 349
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Lewis & Penalties  (Read 7148 times)

Offline Monty

Re: Lewis & Penalties
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 02:24:05 PM »
I used to race and as a racer I have tried to keep my opinions based on facts:-

Massa incident at the hairpin - Hamilton was penalised for causing an avoidable accident. Fact - there was no accident. The two cars touched. They both continued with only cosmetic damage.
Supporting discussion - Schumacher hit the back of Hamilton and cut a big hole in the rear wing strut; he wasn't penalised. Schumacher made a crazy lunge up the inside of Rosberg in the hairpin; Rosberg nearly drove off the road to avoid a massive hit - Shumacher wasn't penalised.

Maldanado incident - Maldanado left the door wide open at a corner that is known to be one of the few overtaking places. Hamilton filled the gap and Maldanado turned in on Hamiliton (fact). I'm sure Maldanado didn't deliberately mean to hit Hamilton but if he had looked in his mirrors he could have avoided the accident. I feel sorry for Maldanado but this was a genuine 'racing incident' and there have been far worse clashes in the past.

F1 needs to get it's story straight. It claims that it wants overtaking yet penalises anyone who actually bothers to 'race'. My man is Jenson Button. I was really dissappointed that he made no attempt to 'race' during the whole race. Instead he just took the 'safe' choice of following the cars in front. Boring! I thought Hamilton was really exciting to watch and in my opinion we need more 'racers' like him and Kobiashi

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 09:19:54 PM »
The accident should never have happened. Quite apart from my separate argument concerning why there was even a race going on at that point, Pastor should have been placing his car more carefully and Lewis should have been judging gaps better. It wasn't the first time Lewis went for a gap that was always going to close, nor was it the first time Pastor had been guilty of serious lapses of judgement concerning defence (admittedly in his case the other times have been at other circuits, where such errors tend to be more exposed).

The Schumacher collision was an accident to the same extent as di Resta's collision with Alguersuari - in fact they were virtually identical. Therefore both either should have been penalised or neither of them. Both (or should I say all four) lost minor bodywork in their collisions. They were both accidents and both could have been avoided by picking any one of half-a-dozen more sensible spots to pass. I know Monaco has no decent overtaking spots but the hairpin has only ever worked with a reasonably willing partner-to-be-passed such as Hamilton or Rosberg.

People are supposed to drive with due consideration to the nature of the event, the circuit and the people in the vicinity. I'm not sure any of the 24 drivers on Sunday managed that feat, so maybe all of them need to have extra racing training. It's just that the exact syllabus for each will differ...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
Didn't cover himself in glory today either

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 04:18:16 AM »
It seems to me Lewis got the spotlight and fame way too early, way too much, and now things falling apart, and the fame fading away causing his tantrum increase day by day. If you see the champions of last decade from Schumacher, Alonso, Button, Raikkonen, Vettel they all have pass a period of certain time, mostly in their initial phase of their career, where they have to struggle for survival, let alone thinking about championship. I guess that's where they attained their maturity, and have the ability to figure out the priorities and where to put your focus.
Lewis never had that, as he came, he has been under the spotlight ever since

I love the way Lewis drives, and I believe you have a right to say and act anything if you are that good at driving, I just hope he gets the success along with the controversies. Just don't became another Barrichello.

And guys if he starts to act like a gentleman, surely its going to be dull and boring in the paddock. We need them to spice things up.

Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Wats-on

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 07:16:55 AM »
It seems to me Lewis got the spotlight and fame way too early, way too much, and now things falling apart, and the fame fading away causing his tantrum increase day by day.

And guys if he starts to act like a gentleman, surely its going to be dull and boring in the paddock. We need them to spice things up.

I feel for him in this way the same as for Jacques Villeneuve. Outspoken, wonderful to watch, but not what he used to be after his title.

Hope Lewis proves me wrong!
You're smart if you believe only half of what you're told. You're brilliant if you know what half to believe...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 03:12:05 PM »
It seems to me Lewis got the spotlight and fame way too early, way too much, and now things falling apart, and the fame fading away causing his tantrum increase day by day.

I feel for him in this way the same as for Jacques Villeneuve. Outspoken, wonderful to watch, but not what he used to be after his title.

Hope Lewis proves me wrong!

I'd never thought of that comparisson, but it's true.  Very strong rookie seasons followed by championships, and then adjusting an inflated ego to the reality of the sport.

Beyond that, they both came to the sport with an almost 'birth right' set of expectations.  Hamilton with his teenaged contract, and Villeneuve with his family history in the sport.  (Both drivers were in the sport on merit, and had certainly earned the outsized expectations.)

Offline Willy

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 12:09:09 AM »
The first thing you learn as a driver is, "Never get into an accident with your teammate".
Lewis seems to have missed that class with his "racing incident" with Button.

Lewis has let himself get carried away a few times and put himself and others in unfortunate situations on track, and with his mouth, offtrack as well.

He needs a strong well focused, calm manager to step in and guide him back onto the right track. As he seems to have lost his way with his own guidance.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 03:22:01 AM »
Notice that the new Lewis arrived soon after he gave Daddy the boot? Either Whitmarsh or Dennis needs to tell him that he needs to plan his moves a bit more carefully.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 03:33:05 AM »
The first thing you learn as a driver is, "Never get into an accident with your teammate".
Lewis seems to have missed that class with his "racing incident" with Button.

Lewis has let himself get carried away a few times and put himself and others in unfortunate situations on track, and with his mouth, offtrack as well.

He needs a strong well focused, calm manager to step in and guide him back onto the right track. As he seems to have lost his way with his own guidance.

In that respect... having Alonso as a teammate in his rookie year didn't seem to help with that lesson.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle