collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 569
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 'Red flag tyre change rule ruined Monaco'  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Andy B

Re: 'Red flag tyre change rule ruined Monaco'
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 07:13:24 AM »
I tend to agree with the majority on here that the only tyre changing should be from slicks to wets and no other. As for repairs I find that a little more difficult as if the racing is stopped for heavy rain half the field could have damage of some form and to eliminate them all could ruin a race.

I too was not able to get into the chat room as I am currently in the UK and not everyone I am staying with has Wi-Fi but I'll get in there once I return home which is over the Canadian GP weekend so that could be a tricky Grid Game weekend for me.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 12:58:11 PM »
I agree with Andy and others that red flag tire changes should be limited to dry-to-wet. I would also allow teams to secure or remove damaged parts that might come loose on the track. Other than that, hands off.

I won't go as far as to say that Vettel's win is tainted. He won using the rules as they exist, the same as all the other cars. I wish the rules had been different, but the win was legit.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 01:30:20 PM »
I was'nt slating Vettel Cos, I meant the rules done that.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 03:23:11 PM »
I agree with Andy and others that red flag tire changes should be limited to dry-to-wet. I would also allow teams to secure or remove damaged parts that might come loose on the track. Other than that, hands off.

I won't go as far as to say that Vettel's win is tainted. He won using the rules as they exist, the same as all the other cars. I wish the rules had been different, but the win was legit.

Indeed, if for no other reason, the rules need to be changed to ensure that a teammate doesn't cause a red flag to help out a teammate who is leading, but struggling.  (I'd like to think that wouldn't happen in F1... but now that it's clear it would work, a simple rule change)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 04:43:45 PM »
Not to worry, Jeri. Flav got the boot.  :D
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 06:05:55 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, there shouldn't have been a restart in the first place (Article 18 of the General Prescriptions requires races that are red-flagged past the 75% mark to be finished and nothing in either the International Sporting Code or the F1 Sporting Regulations contradicts it). Therefore, the whole question of whether tyre-changing is OK is a bit moot.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 06:25:52 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, there shouldn't have been a restart in the first place (Article 18 of the General Prescriptions requires races that are red-flagged past the 75% mark to be finished and nothing in either the International Sporting Code or the F1 Sporting Regulations contradicts it). Therefore, the whole question of whether tyre-changing is OK is a bit moot.

I do believe the rule needs to be discussed in case of a red flag at say 40% race distance. 

Remember when red flagged races let drivers get into entirely new cars?

Almost every single race featured a first corner pile up, and a mad dash to the t-car if both drivers on a team happened to get wrecked.  In close championship fights, the big teams would bring additional cars and parts, at their own expense, just to make sure both drivers would be on track for those crucial points.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 06:28:29 PM »
Very true, Jeri. A red flag at 40% ends up being a bit like a Safety Car because it allows a free pit stop to those who want one. F1 might want to ask itself if that's what it wants, or whether it would prefer people to take to the pit lane if they want pit work done.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle