collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 419
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: What I've been up to with flying RC lately  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Canada Darrell™

What I've been up to with flying RC lately
« on: July 05, 2011, 04:04:10 AM »
Almost 95% done converting my plane to FPV (first person view) flying. Transmitting the live video from my onboard HD camera  (imagine, I can do it on a shoestring budget and it took Bernie and Co. YEARS to get it right!!!!  :confused: :D) to a groundstation and watching in real-time on an LCD monitor. Most of my flying is done with my head down now. Here's a couple of boring flights from the last couple days but still getting everything just right before I venture out for some longer distance flights.

Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline lkjohnson1950

Re: What I've been up to with flying RC lately
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 05:03:38 AM »
OK, I don't fly (or haven't for a long time) I race cars, so a couple technical questions. How much weight does the Go Pro add to the plane? How does that affect performance and flight time? Do you power everything from a single battery, or do you have a separate one for the RC system or camera system? What do you use for a view screen and is it mounted to your TX? Is the system small enough to go inside the fuselage of a larger plane? This is pretty much the same idea as the military uses on their drones, right? Madly curious.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 05:40:14 AM »
How much weight does the Go Pro add to the plane? How does that affect performance and flight time?

GoPro adds 99 grams and with this plane it barely matters. I suppose is does add a cetain amount of drag. I would gestimate that my total flight time may be reduced by about 5%.

Do you power everything from a single battery, or do you have a separate one for the RC system or camera system?

The motor and OSD data is powered by either a 3000mah battery (giving about 20-25 minutes of flight time or 2x 2200mah batteries running in parallel giving about 30 minutes flight time. The onboard transmitter has its own 1000mah battery. The Gopro has its own battery as well.

What do you use for a view screen and is it mounted to your TX?

A 10" battery powered LCD screen not mounted on the TX.

Is the system small enough to go inside the fuselage of a larger plane

Most definately. It will go into a smaller plane than mine but as you can see, there is no "inside" to mine.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 05:42:39 AM by F1 Darrell »

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 12:43:31 PM »
Absolutely brilliant Darrell, I find this stuff fascinating.

I made an RC plane many years ago but I decided it wasn't for me after my plane decided to chase me down the road with the propeller chopping at the bottom of my trousers - much to everyone's amusement (true story).  :-[

Oh, Ian is too scared to ask, so I'll ask it for him. Are there any nudist beaches in your area?  :DD
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 12:46:12 PM »
Oh, Ian is too scared to ask, so I'll ask it for him. Are there any nudist beaches in your area?  :DD

Have to take a road trip and fly over Hornby Island, eh Darrell?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 05:34:03 PM »

Have to take a road trip and fly over Hornby Island, eh Darrell?

One of the first things I thought of!!!!  :DD

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »
The tech is truly amazing, and the price is quite reasonable.

I made an RC plane many years ago but I decided it wasn't for me after my plane decided to chase me down the road with the propeller chopping at the bottom of my trousers - much to everyone's amusement (true story).  :-[

Just as well you didn't have an on-board camera for that flight!  :o
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 06:16:16 AM »
I think we could have come up with quite a fund to pay for that video! :DD :DD

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle