collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 286
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16169 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13008 Posts
John S John S
11288 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Bahrain  (Read 2497 times)

Offline markfarrell9572

Bahrain
« on: June 22, 2011, 10:51:44 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13872206

Our sport can't consider going back there next year.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Bahrain
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:45:34 AM »

We may disagree with the way goverments around the world rule over their own countries but IMO it is not appropriate for Sport to become embroiled in the politics.

Clearly when governments are accused and then judged guilty by the United Nations of repression or harm to their own, or other, citizens it's a different matter.

However since all goverments around the world use prison sentences, many without any court hearings, for people they consider a threat to their authourity or way of life, I see no reason to boycott Bahrain. How come The US can host the GP in Texas whilst holding unconvicted people in Guantanamo Bay facility? 

'Terrorist' or 'Freedom fighter' are subjective titles and are usually interchangeble according to one's own viewpoint, don't you think? The oft quoted 'rule of law' is also heavily dependant on those making the rules or laws; so best for all Sport, including motorsport, to stay well away from politics if you ask me.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »
I have to agree with Mark. Just by showing up, F1 is giving a stamp of legitimacy to a government. Having a race is rapidly becoming de rigueur for any tinpot dictator with a trainload of cash to throw at Berine. Certainly Bahrain is no worse than Red China.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 03:40:27 PM »
Ideally sport should be separate from politics, but truthfully it can't be.  I love formula 1 but am still ashamed we went to South Africa in the 80's.  Life can't be separated from politics.  Politics plays a part in every aspect of our day to day lives.  By going to Bahrain, this year or next year, F1 will NOT be playing a unifying role. All f1 will be doing is saying we don't care about human rights, we don't care where we take our money from, we don't care. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 07:10:26 PM »
I'm leaning towards John's viewpoint on this one...as much as I would prefer Bahrain's leaders to be punished, I don't think F1 is an appropriate method.  However, I believe the circus should only return once things are stable.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:15:41 PM »
I'm leaning towards John's viewpoint on this one...as much as I would prefer Bahrain's leaders to be punished, I don't think F1 is an appropriate method.  However, I believe the circus should only return once things are stable.

I'm trying to figure out where I come down too.

I'm inclined to agree that the show must go on.  At the same time, the FIA works very hard to ensure participants and spectators are safe during the event.  Surely it's not a philisophical stretch to hope for those same participants and spectators to be safe once they leave the race.

Of course, that would rule out Brazil as well.  :fool:

And if you're looking to cancel a race where the majority of people don't want one, then there would never be another USGP.    :lazy:

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:16:22 PM »
Regarding the Bahrain issue, I must say one should not compare it with USGP. For USGP formula one is not a popular sports there, but they have enthusiastic spectators, fans and it is huge market for the sports. If they try hard they can make it popular there and I think FIA should take every initiative to do that. It has its own heritage, legacy and history of motorsports, formula one should not be colliding with them, instead it should fit in and make its own mark there.

But for Bahrain, it is a different scenario altogether, because formula one there is only seen by royal family and few other wealthy sheikh who just want to bring the circus with their money. They don't have a heritage of motorsports, or a legacy or any focus to grow as shown by Abu-Dhabi. And as the country is in turmoil, Bahrain should kept out of the calender, until the calm returns.
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 03:03:55 PM »
Usually, forcing a cancellation of a race means F1 can't go there next year anyway. I'd be tempted to call for that to be done in Bahrain's case simply for time-wasting.

As for returning after that, I'd be in favour if we could be sure F1's arrival wouldn't cause the situation to deteriorate and it was possible to objectively guarantee the safety of everyone (participants and spectators) involved. F1 can't drop regimes just because it doesn't like them, but neither can it allow itself to be used as justification for violence, neither can those involved be asked to risk their lives for other people's entertainment over and above the risk inherent in their professional capacities.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Willy

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 12:29:15 AM »
If F1 is going to stay out of countries based upon their governments politics and western society's perception then we may as well say goodbye to the Chinese GP due to Human Rights Violations.

I agree F1 should not go back to Bahrain as it is in fact giving credence to a hostile regime.

But....based upon this logic, as stated earlier....the USGP should not be run due to the US governments actions all over the world.  US citizens are not openly welcomed in many countries due to the actions of their government.

But maybe that is another argument to be held in another venue.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »
But....based upon this logic, as stated earlier....the USGP should not be run due to the US governments actions all over the world.

I guess Montreal & Silverstone will have to go, too. Canada & the U.K. both have troops in Afghanistan.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 03:03:21 PM »
I think the dig was towards Guantanamo Bay, not Afghanistan, but you're right, if we were to judge countries based on their morally biased external affairs, F1 would be held in a few Caribbean islands and the south pacific.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »
But....based upon this logic, as stated earlier....the USGP should not be run due to the US governments actions all over the world.

I guess Montreal & Silverstone will have to go, too. Canada & the U.K. both have troops in Afghanistan.

Every country has human rights abuses of some sort, so we'd have to have a calender taking in Antarctica, some random uninhabited island in the Pacific, the Moon, Mercury, Mars, whichever asteroid bid highest for the "Kuiper Belt GP" title, Jupiter, Callisto and Zog. Plus season deciders on Halley's Comet.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle