collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 266
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Williams?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline markfarrell9572

Williams?
« on: June 28, 2011, 06:46:02 PM »
Will this once great team be great again?

Offline Scott

Re: Williams?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:32:32 PM »
Hmmm, let's say not in the next couple of years.  They seem to be flailing around at the moment.  It's a shame they didn't get Symonds (or try to get him), as they need someone with more complete experience as a Tech Director than Coughlan brings.  But beyond that, they obviously need cash.  That one I don't understand since I'm sure there are plenty of Fortune 500 companies that would be proud to support a team with a pedigree like Williams.  I wonder if Paar somehow scares them off.  :DntKnw:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 09:42:03 PM »

I think Coughlan is more a replacement for Head than Sam Michael, Scott.

To awnser the original question, it's a definite maybe. :D  The team still has the yearning, but the potential has been a bit lacking of late. I'm sure they still have the pedigree and this year's car has been more innovative in many areas than Ferrari's, unfortunately without the resources that come with a works engine deal they seem to have suffered more than the other big teams. Cosworth has not been able to keep pace with the big boys on the exhaust blowing for example, we may see an improvement in Williams pace relative to the top guys now the hot blowing ban is coming into force.

Hard to see how Williams will break free of mid pack though until the new engine regs start in 2014, however they have suprised in the past and the hunger still seems to be there.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Williamsfan

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:57:43 PM »
In all honesty, I cannot see it anymore.  Every year I delude myself there will be a return to former glories but it is not going to happen.  We appointed two new guys today, there is an awful lot of pressure on their shoulders, along with Mike Coughlan... 

As for the new regs... Every time they are 'reset' as such, the team are always super confident yet always come up short, even when they have a good idea like the double diffuser, or this year with the short gear box.  I am not sure what they can do anymore to improve, but they seem to be stuck in a mid-table groove with no apparent way of moving out of it. 

For me, at the very least:
Parr has to go, from what I've read he really annoys most of the team and seems overly arrogant, there must be better candidates for his position?!
Symonds has to come in, him and Coughlan I think would do a good job as between them they've been there and done that.  I'm highly dubious of the two new guys (Somerville and Gillan) given their most recent experience was with Toyota (although admittedly Somerville was with Renault from the end of last year). 
Barrichello needs to be retired- His technical prowess seems over-rated given the muddling form the team has shown since he arrived.  Good one race, missing the next...  Now Maldonado is pushing him close at some circuits there seems even less reason to cling on to the master-whinger. 
Maldonado- I am not sure about him, my gut says drop him but he is doing a little better now so maybe deserves a second season, but so did Hulkenberg, just he lacked the cash sadly. 

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »
Williams has the infrastructure (shops, wind tunnel, super computer) to make a comeback. Now the personnel need a tweak. Paar needs to go. Symonds would be a great addition. Someone like Tony Purnell or David Pitchforth would help, too.

Then there is the classic Catch 22: A team needs a sponsor with deep pockets to win, and a team needs to win to get a sponsor with deep pockets.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »
Purnell...I had almost forgotten about him.  Absolutely - put him in for Paar!   :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle