collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 189
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Williams Sued by Michael Waltrip Racing  (Read 3542 times)

Offline cosworth151

Williams Sued by Michael Waltrip Racing
« on: July 16, 2011, 07:35:05 PM »
NASCAR team Michael Waltrip Racing has sued the Williams Formula 1 Team. The suit results from Williams hiring Mike Coughlan as Chief Engineer. Coughlan had been Waltrip's head of car design since October 2010. His contract was supposed to run until November 30, 2012.

http://www.racer.com/michael-waltrip-racing-suing-williams-f1-team/article/207672/?DCMP=EMC-RACER_DAILY

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: Williams Sued by Michael Waltrip Racing
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 08:19:55 PM »
Ah geez, Coughlin is stirring up trouble whatever he does.  What, an F1 contract supposedly supersedes a NASCAR contract?  How could anyone involved not think this was about to happen?  Should have hired Symonds anyhow...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 08:51:52 PM »
Symonds isn't available - he's been at Virgin all year.

Still, you'd think Mr Coughlan would have had more sense than to re-enter a series he left in such noise and disgrace through the same route he left?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 09:18:19 PM »
Symonds isn't available - he's been at Virgin all year.

Consultants aren't usually bound the same way...he probably could have walked away any time someone called.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 09:39:10 PM »
I don't know all the history you guys seem to know but I always scratch my head whenever I hear the word "contract" in F1 talk. Seems to be that whatever agreement is in place should be called something like "I'll work for you until I don't feel like it anymore and somebody gives me more money"

Yeah yeah, everyone should be free to pursue their interests and cash in and teams should feel free to go after whoever they want......unless you are under contract. When the contract runs THEN you are free to shop your services around or if the team you are with gives you permission beforehand.

They need to adopt trade deadlines or something!
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 10:03:59 PM »
I suppose the international nature of the dispute will be a problem.

The article claims Coughlan broke his contract with MWR in April, and then signed with Williams in June.  On the face of it, Williams seems to be in the clear.  Certainly a British Company isn't required to ferret out if someone has a pre-existing contract with an American company.

Now, some industries include 'anti-tampering' languages in their contracts, if that's the case, Williams might have offered Coughlan the job before he quit, but once again, that's going to be tough to determine, and again, a NASCAR contract might stand up to EU regulations anyway.

At the end of the day, do you really want someone on your team who doesn't want to be there?  Can MWR get good talent if the team won't let them explore other opportunities?

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 01:11:34 AM »
MWR needs the money.

Lonny
Lonny

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle