collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 406
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Heroes and Zeroes Germany  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Scott

Heroes and Zeroes Germany
« on: July 24, 2011, 09:12:56 PM »
Wow - everyone having a busy summer Sunday?  No time to post about a relatively exciting race?  Well, here goes my summary...keep in mind I missed about 15 laps until the second last lap (caught the highlights though).

Heroes:   :good: :good:

Hamilton.  Made it through the race using his head, and keeping everything clean.  Kudos to the team for managing him well.  Don't know what happened to Jenson, but he was starting to close on the leaders when things went wrong.

Alonso.  Another superb, flawless race.  No Ferrari errors this time, so some credit should go to them.

Webber.  Not his fault.  Lousy pit stop by the RBR team (hope it wasn't team orders, cough, cough, ahem), and a car that seems to be losing its edge to Ferrari and Mclaren.  But big cheer for Mark stretching out a 40 sec gap over Vettel by the end.

Sutil.  I was confused at first how he got in the sharp end, but sure enough, he was there honestly.  I guess I'll have to eat my words about Mallya's team this past week.  Amazing race.

FIA.  Get the stewards from the German race and put them on salary.  No silly penalties (ok, giving Heidfeld a drive-through while he was in the gravel wasn't too bright), and the race finished without controversy.   :good:

Zeroes:   :fool: :fool:

RBR really let down Webber.  In a sense the race of the top three was fairly boring by half race, even though they were only separated by a few seconds.  Only a pit stop could shake it up, and shake it up it did.  Crappola stop by RBR, which had followed a clockwork stop by Ferrari and a superhuman stop by Hamilton reversed the order to how it would end.  If Alonso had paid a bit more attention when Hammy came out of the pits, it might have ended differently.

Buemi.  Toasted Heidfeld's race, but Heidfeld was struggling this weekend, so it's hard to say how else it might have ended.

Not really a zero, because I'm actually happy about it, Ruby has once again DNF'd (sorry Williamsfan - I'd feel the same way if he was driving a Mclaren).  Ok, he has the record for F1 starts...but does anyone know if he also has the record for all time F1 DNF's?  I guess he's pretty close if he isn't there already.

The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

Re: Heroes and Zeroes Germany
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 10:25:10 PM »
all good points Scott

Hero's

Button-except engine failure he could have been 4th,with some luck

Schumacher-good finish despite another mistake,the old MS would
                    never have this many driver errors

Sutil-good to see Force India back,proving Scotty wrong :tease:

Zero's

Schumi-for making another driver error

Heidfeld-not for his race but for his performance this year,I
             really expecter better from Nick

Sutil-for finishing in the points and costing me a GG point I needed

Bid Man David-does he ever have a bad race? ;)

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:12:42 PM »
Heroes

Hamilton - Really exciting race preceded by a beautiful qualifying lap. Well done Lewis.

Sutil - Kept Button behind him for quite a few laps, changed to the medium tyres at the right time and generally drove very well. Last I heard, Force India was still celebrating (though they waited until after pack-up to start).

Alonso - Drove commendably apart from a silly off towards the start.

Honourable mention: Petrov - For taking the medium tyre gamble and salvaging something from a difficult race. If only those brakes hadn't grabbed so much...

Zeroes

Ferrari mechanics - Being 2 seconds slower to change tyres on Massa's car (a 4 second operation) is poor. Especially when the stop should have been done 10 laps earlier, thereby costing Felipe about 15 seconds of pace. The Alonso stops were not fantastic either. They might as well have told Massa to stay out and taken the 30-second penalty hit if they were going to do that.

Buemi - Hitting Heidfeld was excusable considering he was looking in the mirror to check for people coming the other side of him. Hitting Heidfeld by mounting a particularly poor defence and thereby creating the problem... ...not so much.

Heidfeld - Hitting Paul di Resta on the first lap is not the way to this Force India fan's heart, even if the Buemi crash was all Sebastien's fault.

Dishonourable mention: The scrutineers for taking 5.5 years to notice that some teams were screen-printing compliance labels onto overalls, and then not penalising Petrov for getting extra practise time in FP1 (he left the pitlane early). They missed being in the main part of the zeroes due to improving their performance considerably in qualifying and the race.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:19:01 PM »
Heroes:

Hamilton: Ran a good, smart race. A well deserved win.

RBR Pit Crew (Vettel edition): Great last stop to get Seb past Massa.

Webber: Except for yet another bad start, ran a fine race. Pit crew cost him the race.

Zeroes:

Chandhok: He certainly made Jarno look good.

RBR Pit Crew (Webber edition): See Webber above

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »
Zeroes:

Oh! A bit harsh considering it was his first race in the car. He was getting quicker in every session.

Otherwise I think the other comments cover it.
Most impressively; it was a great race with good scraps all the way down the field.

I felt really sorry for DiResta because he looked capable of some very good points and the biggest cheer in my house came when Schumacher spun  :D

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 03:35:52 PM »
Actually, I'd like to see Michael score a podium. Then maybe he'd retire and di Resta could have the seat. :D

Lonny
Lonny

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 06:22:58 PM »
Heroes:  Hamilton, Alonso and Webber. 

Zeros:  Heidfeld, Buemi's Weeekend and the Number 4 McLaren

Lucky Not to be a zero:  David Coulthard, spinning the vintage Mercedes was embarrasing and could have been very expensive

David

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »

Zeroes

Ferrari mechanics - Being 2 seconds slower to change tyres on Massa's car (a 4 second operation) is poor. Especially when the stop should have been done 10 laps earlier, thereby costing Felipe about 15 seconds of pace. The Alonso stops were not fantastic either. They might as well have told Massa to stay out and taken the 30-second penalty hit if they were going to do that.

Could agree more, I had my head in my hands watching it. Idiots!  >:(

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 10:47:51 PM »
Zeroes:

Oh! A bit harsh considering it was his first race in the car. He was getting quicker in every session.

Trulli and Webber are my two favorite active drivers.

Jarno should send Karun a bill for the broken gearbox, too.  ;)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 01:23:06 AM »
Heroes:  Hamilton, Alonso and Webber. 

Zeros:  Heidfeld, Buemi's Weeekend and the Number 4 McLaren

Lucky Not to be a zero:  David Coulthard, spinning the vintage Mercedes was embarrasing and could have been very expensive

Let me know what the program was that he did that on. I'd like to download it and watch it!
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 05:02:51 PM »
It was on BBCs pre race coverage Sunday morning.  BBC asked Mercedes management what the cars were worth if DC had crashed and told they were priceless and irreplaceable.  Spun in front of Mika in another vintage merc. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 06:19:15 PM »
So...does this mean Whitmarsh's job is now safe?  ;)

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 08:48:26 PM »
So...does this mean Whitmarsh's job is now safe?  ;)

Hopefully.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 04:00:04 AM »
I doubt he was ever in serious jeopardy. Ron had a few bad months during his career as well.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 08:40:20 AM »
I doubt he was ever in serious jeopardy. Ron had a few bad months during his career as well.

Lonny

Exactly what I suggested when the rumor poked up its head...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle