collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 616
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The end of Formula 1?  (Read 22291 times)

Offline Canada Darrell™

Re: The end of Formula 1?
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2011, 11:31:04 PM »
I am posting this link as much for the picture of Bernie as for the story...but the blog is actually right on the mark.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/jul/30/f1-bernie-ecclestone-tv-deal

Awesome, an even better pic for my "No Bernie" avatar!
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2011, 06:55:22 AM »
So its not just Bernies bank that is to benefit as with this new TV deal each of the teams will receive US$1 Million so although I believe I'll benefit here in NZ its not so good for those on the UK.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93507
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2011, 09:54:41 AM »

This web page lists all sorts of people and organisations we can voice our displeasure to :-

http://saveformula1.com/organisations-to-write-to/

If you look amongst some of the comments there are even more email addresses.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 01:19:08 PM »
Taken from the Observer...

Brits are working to save money within their households:

67% are buying more generic brands
46% are bringing their own lunch to work
31% have cancelled one or more magazine subscriptions
22% have stopped buying coffee on the way to work

and finally..... 33% have cancelled or cut their TV services.

Nice timing Bernie!  :fool:
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Dare

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2011, 01:20:35 PM »
Sky/BBC deal 'saved free-to-air' F1 coverage in UK
By Jonathan Noble Sunday, July 31st 2011, 11:36 GMT

Williams chairman Adam Parr believes Bernie Ecclestone did the right thing in putting together that BBC/Sky shared broadcast deal for next year - because there was a risk of Formula 1 coverage being off free-to-air television entirely.

While British fans remain angry about the prospect of not being able to watch every race live on the BBC from 2012, Parr says that those unhappy about the move should actually be happy that Ecclestone has managed to keep at least some races on the channel.

Although sympathetic that fans will feel they are worse off in 2012, Parr says that they must take into consideration that they could have been even worse off if the Sky/BBC share deal had not come together.

"I can understand why a British fan who has had free non-advert coverage, amazing content, and brilliant presenters will be saying that anything else is going to be less good," explained Parr.

"I am sorry that the BBC could not carry on doing what they are doing, but they made that decision. I don't think that the fees being charged to the BBC are unreasonable compared to Wimbledon or any other major sports event.

"I am sympathetic, but to be fair the teams have not had any involvement in this. We don't negotiate these deals, but when Bernie briefed us as a group about this, the universal view was, okay we get it. We understand why you've done it. We see the benefits; we know where you are coming from - fair enough."

When asked by AUTOSPORT if there was a prospect that F1 could even have been off free-to-air television totally with the BBC unable to continue its current contract, Parr said: "I think that is true. I think Bernie put this deal together to ensure that the fans would have as much of what they have been enjoying as possible."

He added: "If you are Bernie, and you are looking at the situation where your current partner is stopping – what do you do? I think he has sat back and put together something which is the best that could be done under the circumstances."

Amid scepticism about claims that the Sky/BBC deal could actually boost viewing figures in the UK, as Ecclestone has argued, a number of sponsors have expressed private concern about the impact the deal could have on the sport's popularity in 2012.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh insisted, however, that he was not too worried about the situation.

"I don't think there are any [concerns] here. I think that is just speculation," he said when asked if he had any fears of dwindling sponsorship revenue because of smaller viewing figures.

"At the moment we have to do a careful analysis of it, but the view yesterday was that the viewership would increase as a consequence of the amount of time and coverage that F1 will present – because you have got BBC and Sky competing.

"You have got deferred coverage as well, and for a lot of grands prix it will frankly probably be better to have it in the UK a few hours later in any case.

"I think we have to be aware of that. It is important in the UK market that we have as much coverage as possible."
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2011, 03:58:38 PM »
"If you are Bernie, and you are looking at the situation where your current partner is stopping – what do you do?

Errr...lower the price so that TV companies in the UK can actually afford it. None of the major channels have the money to show F1 anymore, F1 has completely priced itself out of the UK market. 

"I don't think there are any [concerns] here. I think that is just speculation," he said when asked if he had any fears of dwindling sponsorship revenue because of smaller viewing figures

I think the BBC/Sky deal will have a minor affect on sponsorship. F1 is worldwide and so are the sponsors/viewers. I'm sure it will continue as if nothing happened at all.

"At the moment we have to do a careful analysis of it, but the view yesterday was that the viewership would increase as a consequence of the amount of time and coverage that F1 will present – because you have got BBC and Sky competing.

The only way to watch F1 in the UK at the moment is on the BBC, therefore anyone interested in F1 already watches it on the BBC including Sky subscribers. How does anyone think that splitting it between the BBC & Sky will add to more viewers?
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline Scott

« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2011, 04:08:02 PM »
Oh I was so annoyed at Parr's comments.  Thanks for posting that Wiz - but I think the sponsors will take note, especially if UK is a test-bed for other regions.  As you point out, everyone in the country has access to free TV, so moving it to a Pay TV channel can only mean LESS viewers.  How anyone can see that any differently is beyond me.  If BBC or F1 wanted to have more people watch it, they should have simply shown a highlight reel later in the day ANYHOW!!
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2011, 04:11:12 PM »
I really wish this were a worldwide issue instead of
a UK one.

Hurt the sponsors pocket books and the entire world viewing
our sport and we probably would'nt be here now.

A man with all the money he'd ever need would sell out
his country for more is beyond me
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2011, 07:54:27 PM »
I'm still as angry about this as I was Friday morning, but guess what guys?  Mr Ecclestone, Mr Murdoch, and every single team principal/team owner doesn't give a rats arse about us.  We are only the fans of the sport, so what do we matter.  Its a done deal, we may get used to it, but it wasn't done for the money, oh no.  We can take Bernie's word for it, it wasn't about the money

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/171761/1/ecclestone_bbcsky_sports_deal_not_just_about_money.html

After reading it the word "greedy lying bastard" spring to mind.

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2011, 08:33:24 PM »
Tada! Changed my screen name...again.  :good:
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Scott

« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2011, 08:35:42 PM »
 :DD :DD :DD

Offline Scott

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2011, 08:44:41 PM »
After reading it the word "greedy lying bastard" spring to mind.

Yup, pretty out of touch I'd say.  It's not so important to us to watch it live.  HA!  Just what does sport mean to this guy?  I used to have to watch a few races later after I taped them, but I actually preceded EVERY conversation I had with anyone that they had better not tell me what happened if they already knew.  Watching F1 as a highlights show even some of the time would spoil the entire sport for me. 

Speaking of watching it live, hey Bernie, why do you even have to GO to the races?  What purpose do you actually have to be present at the races?  And if it's not about the money, let the BBC broadcast the entire races AS WELL as Sky.  I'm sure you could still weasel a few million out of Sky even if they aren't the exclusive portal.   

David

« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2011, 09:14:34 PM »
Tada! Changed my screen name...again.  :good:

:good:

I have sent 40+ emails to every relevant email address I could find. Don't hold out much hope of it doing any good though.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 09:50:03 PM by David »

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2011, 01:01:33 PM »
From markfarrell9572's link:

Speaking in a separate interview with the Press Association ahead of this Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix, Ecclestone also added - remarkably - that 'people will be more happy with this than they are at the moment'.

From his point of view, probably true. Bernie doesn't concider the average fans to be people. Remember, just a few years ago he was pushing the idea of having a race that only VIP's would be allowed to attend.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »
Murray Walker's views

Murray Walker reckons Bernie Ecclestone's decision to hand F1 coverage to Sky is just another sign that the F1 supremo is all about the money.

On Friday, it was announced that Sky Sports had secured the rights to Formula One coverage from 2012 to 2018 and would be showing all races, practices and qualifying live on the pay channel.

The BBC, meanwhile, will show half the races live and extended highlights for the remaining 10.

The news has been not gone down well with Formula One fans in the UK, including the 'Voice of F1', Walker, who believes Ecclestone made the decision based purely on financial reasons.

"There is also the question of how the teams and the sponsors will react because teams always want, and Bernie Ecclestone has always instead on, getting the maximum audience in order motivate sponsors to get as much money in," he told the Daily Mail.

"It is typical Bernie. When the BBC lost it to ITV in 1995/96, Bernie phoned the head of sport, Jonathan Martin, and said, 'I am afraid to tell you that you have lost the contact and we are making the announcement in half-an-hour'.

"When Jonathan picked himself up of the floor and said: 'Gosh Bernie you might have given us a chance,' Bernie replied: 'Unless you have been cheating me all these years, you can't pay what they can and there was no point in talking to you.'

"I would imagine that is what happened now. Somebody said once 'Follow the money' and that is what it is all about. Bernie has got to maximise income for CVC, who own the commercial rights, and the BBC have got to make savings.

"Obviously that necessitated, from Bernie's point of view, making a change and Sky were prepared to take it over and pay for it."

The former commentator says he feels for those who can't afford to pay for Sky especially as, sooner rather than later, it will have an impact on Formula One.

"My overriding reaction is one of great sympathy for the people who can't afford Sky or don't have Sky for whatever reason because they are going to be denied 50 percent of the races.

"I have concerns that if the television audience goes down, Formula One itself is going to suffer.

"It all comes down to money. The BBC has lost Formula One before. They lost it in my time and it went to ITV and they did a better job for Formula One then than the BBC had been doing. But now the BBC is doing a better job than ITV did.

"The tragedy of it is that the BBC on a free-to-air basis are doing an absolutely fabulous job and are not only providing the best Formula One coverage that Britain has ever had, but are also providing the best coverage in the world in my view.

"There is a problem in that the BBC are only going to be doing half the races now and they will inevitably spend less money on them. Hypothetically, their coverage will not be as good, which is a great pity."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle