collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 615
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Villeneuve on Raikkonen  (Read 2568 times)

Offline markfarrell9572

Villeneuve on Raikkonen
« on: August 11, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »
Kimi Raikkonen did not deserve the title he won in 2007 and he only secured it because he was lucky, according to former world champion Jacques Villeneuve.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93714

He does like expressing his opinion doesn't he?  No matter how wrong it is or no matter how irrelevant.

Jacques seems to forget he made hard work of winning his title in what was the better car.

Its about time Jacques and a certain Mr. Irvine shut up.  If they were as good at driving as they are at mouthing off....

Offline Canada Darrell™

Re: Villeneuve on Raikkonen
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:17:28 PM »
Jacques....image....tarnishing....please....just....STFU already!
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 05:22:36 PM »

better to be lucky than good

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:30:13 PM »
It looks like JV has never heard about the pot and the kettle......
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:40:04 PM »

better to be lucky than good

Indeed... most F1 champions either have a ridiculously good car, or a stroke of luck.

(To be sure, many of the champions in top cars have earned their way into the top car.  Villeneuve included.)

Vettel was as lucky, or luckier than Kimi to win his championship.  Same with Hamilton.  All worthy champions, and clear examples that the sport offers plenty of surprise and suspense.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 05:46:19 PM »

I reckon Jacques is only really explaining just why Ferrari sat Kimi on the sidelines for Nando, I must say I'm in agreement. Felipe was up there with Kimi in 07, outclassed him in 08 and was doing the same until his accident in 09.  

Nando is a team leader in the schumi mould and is a top class driver as well. Kimi on the other hand can drive well if and when everything is right for him, but he never seems to inspire the team to work flat out for him and give 105%.

You can get one WDC with luck, more than one requires that extra ingredient - not sure the Iceman has it.    
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline littledave

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:50:06 PM »
Don't forget how many time kimi was fast as f**k all weekend and then the McLaren let him down! He was unlucky there and managed it in a Ferrari! He could have 2-3 championships under his belt!

He also was his own down fall! Remember when his suspension collapsed from a flat spot 2/3 laps from the end? Team decision to keep him out? I think not!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 05:12:18 AM »
JV is just bitter because he could not turn the BAR into a winner. He was "Unlucky" to choose the wrong team.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 02:14:30 AM »

Kimi made it look too easy and noone can know what was
in his heart except Kimi.

If Mclaren had made him a #1 driver like Alonso at Renault and MS
at Ferrari I dare say he'd have 2 more driving titles

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 10:21:53 AM »

If Mclaren had made him a #1 driver like Alonso at Renault and MS
at Ferrari I dare say he'd have 2 more driving titles

Can't see it myself as Kimi was always treated as the top gun at Woking. Over his time at Macca Kimi was paired with DC; no one's idea of a #1, and then Montoya; who singularly failed to impress in the car.

In fact it was Lewis and Nando's crazy squabbling that let Kimi get his one title, so one could argue that the no stated #1 driver at Macca actually worked in Kimi's favour.  ;)
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »
It might not have been said, but I think Kimi was de facto number 1 during his time at McLaren. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 08:40:54 AM »
To me it's always clear that the guy getting the biggest cheque is without question the #1 driver, but at Mclaren I'm not so sure he gets any better treatment other than to get to sit up front in the van on the way to the track.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 11:10:12 PM »
John,I think DC or Juan Pablo were allowed to win
if they had the chance.

DC was past his prime and JPM was too careless
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Willy

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 04:07:23 AM »
[ftp][Don't forget how many time kimi was fast as f**k all weekend and then the McLaren let him down! He was unlucky there and managed it in a Ferrari! He could have 2-3 championships under his belt!

He also was his own down fall! Remember when his suspension collapsed from a flat spot 2/3 laps from the end? Team decision to keep him out? I think not!/ftp]

Kimi had a natural talent and would have won the title at Mclaren if the car was not such a piece of sh$t. It let him down more then a few times.

The Ferrari did not suit his driving style and he still won.

I do love Jacques but he needs to put up or shut up.

Kimi left F1 as he got bored.....simple as that.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 10:23:41 PM »
Kimi won a title and that appeared to be all he wanted from F1. The other things he wanted (to do as he liked, not worry about the consequences and avoid the press) were never going to be possible in F1, so of course he's gone to a series where he will be happier.

If Kimi had been allowed to ignore certain requirements to getting a car to go fast and (indirectly) convincing sponsors to pay for it, then he'd probably still be in F1. However, F1 doesn't have room for people it sees as "freeloaders" and Kimi doesn't have time for "unnecessary things". Luck didn't come into either the rise or fall of Kimi Raikkonen's F1 career.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle