collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 356
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

Will the USGP in Austin,Texas take place

yes
8 (57.1%)
no
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: 2012 USGP  (Read 8411 times)

Offline Dare

2012 USGP
« on: July 29, 2011, 01:32:39 PM »
lets see what others think

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: 2012 USGP
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 01:57:09 PM »
Are you asking because the Austin GP is an ill thought out venture?

Or because the USA is 3 days from collapsing into anarchy?   :DntKnw:

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 02:09:06 PM »

I've always supposed that was the norm for the US according to how events are portrayed to us in the media over here.  :D  ;) :tease: 

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »
At this point in 1999, I already had my tickets for the first USGP at Indy, in 2000. Austin won't even admit what their ticket prices will be yet. Most dependable sources say that the cheapest race day tickets will be $200+. For the last race at Indy (2007) my entire ticket package (4 days, seat in the main stands right across from the pits, parking every day and a race day box lunch) was less than $100.

I really and truly hope it does fall through. F1 in the U.S. couldn't survive a disaster of size that Austin will be.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »
At this point in 1999, I already had my tickets for the first USGP at Indy, in 2000. Austin won't even admit what their ticket prices will be yet. Most dependable sources say that the cheapest race day tickets will be $200+. For the last race at Indy (2007) my entire ticket package (4 days, seat in the main stands right across from the pits, parking every day and a race day box lunch) was less than $100.

I really and truly hope it does fall through. F1 in the U.S. couldn't survive a disaster of size that Austin will be.

The 2010 Montreal Grand Prix was run with 7 months notice, with tickets comparable to the Austin estimates, and attendance was  fine.

Granted, it's a bit different because there was proven demand for the Montreal race, but it's not logistically far fetched for Austin to get it right in 15 months.

The ONLY thing that will make F1 'succeed' in the USA is a successful American driver.  (Success is a broad term.  I would define that as having F1 highlights on Sportscenter before the first commercial break...)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »
Montreal was an established race. All they had to do was send out their ticket renewal list. Austin's web site doesn't even have a place to sign up for info when it's available.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 06:23:06 PM »

Since I don't watch or search out news anymore is this just good old Canadian sarcasm or based somewhat on something? :)
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 07:19:06 PM »

Since I don't watch or search out news anymore is this just good old Canadian sarcasm or based somewhat on something? :)

With respect for this not being the forum to get into it... the US government has run out of cash, and cannot come to an agreement to borrow more.  In theory on Aug 2, 2011, they can't pay up:  no social security, no pay for the army, interest not paid on bonds etc.

Normally they just issue bonds every 6 months to cover their growing debt, but someone has decided that enough is enough, and won't allow more borrowing without spending cuts, and then someone else has decided that everything has worked thus far, why mess with it.  The main problem is that there doesn't appear to be enough spirit of compromise.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 06:54:21 AM »
The real problem is people elected a bunch of "Tea Party " ultra conservatives. They don't think anything bad will happen if the US defaults. They also don't understand that on occasion the government MUST spend more than it takes in, like during a recession. Some of them won't vote for a higher debt ceiling under any circumstances. Some won't unless a balanced budget amendment is passed. Mr Boehner can't control them as leaders have in the past. In addition he is trying to give the President a big black eye as the next election is already under way. It's a mess and I hope they all get voted out next year. The public is really p*ssed and both sides are assuming they are mad at the other side, when in reality they are mad at the whole establishment. I have little hope of a compromise.

Lonny
Lonny

Offline J.Clark

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 06:44:47 PM »

I don't know where/how you got a 4 day ticket with parking and all on the main straight for $100, not even 100 Euros.  I grew up 35 miles from there and unless someone subsidized your ticket, you are just blowing smoke up someone's backside, or trying to anyway.

I went all of the USGPs at Indy and never got grandstand seats ANYWHERE around the circuit for $100, except the Michelin Tire year.

I also do not know why you would want the USGP in Austin to fall through.  I don't know how you could explain that one frankly.

I went to Hungary this year and was quite disappointed by a few things, but the biggest was the complete lack of "fan fare", for lack of a better term.  No parades on the track, or excuse me, the drivers "parade" consisted of all of the drivers being on the back of a a flatbed truck.  What the heck is that about?
Indy always had a huge promotional punch with driver/pit access, SPEEDTV running a Q&A with some of the drivers, the drivers parade put the team pairs in vintage touring cars and they drove the circuit (even in the 2 years it rained) . . .  Part of it the weekend for most true fans is the "show" of it all - the glamor.

I imagine Austin will be similarly run.
The circuit is coming along nicely and on schedule for the June race; although, it looks like it will be moved to November.  That seems a smart move due to the brutal heat in June.

I will be there either way.
Life is short - live each day to the fullest.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:41:40 PM »
I dug out my receipt. It had gone up from $65 to $85 that year, so the price per person, without parking was $110 for the entire week-end. You can check the Speedway's seating chart to see where the Paddock seats are:

http://indymotorspeedway.com/idx-standmap.html

http://indymotorspeedway.com/standmap_paddock.html

I was born at Camp Atterbury, IN. and later lived in nearby Edinburgh, about 30 miles south of Indy
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:47:47 PM by cosworth151 »
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 10:22:48 AM »

Holy Cow! At those sort of prices Cos the British GP would be sold out 2 or 3 times over months ahead of the race, I guess the lower price at Indy has a lot to do with enormous capacity of the place. Were all the stands full for the race and if not how many more, do you think, could they have accomodated?  

I Britain some GP tickets sold very early get a discount, I see your invoice is dated nearly a year in advance of the event Cos, did Indy offer any incentive for advance booking?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:49:13 AM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 02:02:57 PM »

Holy Cow! At those sort of prices Cos the British GP would be sold out 2 or 3 times over months ahead of the race, I guess the lower price at Indy has a lot to do with enormous capacity of the place. Were all the stands full for the race and if not how many more, do you think, could they have accomodated?  

I Britain some GP tickets sold very early get a discount, I see your invoice is dated nearly a year in advance of the event Cos, did Indy offer any incentive for advance booking?

That's why George and Bernie couldn't come to an agreement.

Bernie believed that George was leaving money on the table, while George knew exactly what price point American race fans would pay to see an F1 race. 

Bernie raised his fee, George knew he could never break even at that price, and went back to printing money with the 500 and Brickyard 400.

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 05:57:16 PM »
Stupid. Place. For. A. Grand. Prix.

End of story.

Offline Dare

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 12:35:30 AM »
Stupid. Place. For. A. Grand. Prix.

End of story.

where?Indy or Austin
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle