collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 104
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Truck on the Track at Baltimore IRL  (Read 2769 times)

Online cosworth151

Truck on the Track at Baltimore IRL
« on: September 06, 2011, 12:56:52 PM »
In another thread, we discussed a marshal being on the wrong side of a barrier during the warm up. The start of the Baltimore race was even worse. A Honda Ridgeline safety vehicle was on track running the wrong was at Turn 1 during the start! It passed the first two rows of cars as it dove off the track.

The incident really stands out in the second part of the vid. IRL really needs to get its sh*t together.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

Re: Truck on the Track at Baltimore IRL
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 01:02:45 PM »
That is pure insanity, the front drivers must have thought....What the f*** is going on here.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »
 :fool: :fool: :fool: :fool:  IRL officials who a) threw the green before the track was clear and all safety vehicles parked, and b) who told the Safety Truck crew to go the WRONG WAY down the track when the cars were already circling (...the RIGHT WAY).   :fool: :fool:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 05:36:33 PM »
As I posted in the other thread, nothing much seems to have changed since I was fortunate enough to see some of what goes on behind the scenes 10 or 11 years ago...

M-I-C-K-E-Y M- O-U-S-E

That was far too close to killing a driver. Someone better either lose their job or get suspended for that atrocity!
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 05:42:46 AM »
Brian Barnhart has made error after error in running the show. He started the cars in the rain at NH. He robbed Castro- Nieves of a win in Canada. He insists the drivers can't start 3 wide at Indy. He calls blocking penalties on drivers he doesn't like while ignoring others that he does. He must have something on the Hulmans, because he should have been canned long ago'
Lonny

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 07:25:37 PM »
Brian Bernhart has made so many bad judgements, going right back to Paul Tracy losing Indy in 2002 (hope I have right year), he has lost the confidence of the teams and drivers, and is in fact openly disliked.  He should be removed from his post before he is responsible for a driver's death

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 09:50:41 PM »
I don't think Brian Barnhart was in charge of Indy when
Tracy should have won the 500,I could be wrong
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 08:42:05 AM »
Yeah, I think you're right Dare, it was Tony.  And if I recall, many of the conspiracy theorists figured it was about anti-CART sentiments (I agreed).

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 09:19:19 PM »

Indycar has suspended the Truck driver who took such a chance with lives at Baltimore.   

Seems Brian Barnhart agrees with all of us, he's quoted as saying "It was a near catastrophe," in this Autosport report

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94337

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »
Brian Bernhart should be sacked for allowing race go green while truck was on track.

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 12:00:28 AM »
Brian Bernhart should be sacked for allowing race go green while truck was on track.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Unless the driver drove out on the track AFTER he was told not to (I presume there is some kind of communication to ensure all on-track personnel have vacated the track???) then this is just covering his own ass.

Some jackass dropped the green flag or gave the OK while the truck was out.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 12:02:08 AM »

Offline Scott

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 10:20:47 AM »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Unless the driver drove out on the track AFTER he was told not to (I presume there is some kind of communication to ensure all on-track personnel have vacated the track???) then this is just covering his own ass.

Some jackass dropped the green flag or gave the OK while the truck was out.

Yeah, it's pretty clear to me that the procedures that should be looked at are those preceding the green flag throw - not the safety vehicle ones.  The very last thing that should be assured is that all safety vehicles are parked, and all track personnel are in their positions BEFORE the flag man is given the OK.  It doesn't matter that the truck went the wrong way on the track - anything could have happened to the truck, even if it had gone to a different track exit.  Throwing the green flag before it was off the track and radio-ed in, is the serious blunder.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle