collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 613
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Adieu, Victoria  (Read 2345 times)

Offline cosworth151

Adieu, Victoria
« on: September 16, 2011, 09:42:57 PM »
Yesterday, 15 September 2011, at 12:30 EDT, the final Ford Crown Victoria rolled off the assembly line. The final generation of the Crown Vic debuted in 1992. That 19 year run equals the Ford Model T.  The model was first built in 1955 and 1956, than reborn in 1979.

Sales of the Crown Vic have been up 140%. The Crown Vic has owned the taxi and police car markets here in the States for a generation. Ford is now effectively abandoning the police market to the rear drive Dodge Charger and the new rear drive Chevy Caprice. Ford's only offering will be the totally unsuitable, front drive Taurus. Ford had been working on a rear drive replacement for the Vic based on a stretched Mustang platform, but it was cut during the recession.

This NPR story says that the Lincoln Town Car has also been stopped. Actually, I think it will continue in production through the end of the year.

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/16/140503972/a-beloved-car-of-cops-and-cabbies-meets-its-end

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

Re: Adieu, Victoria
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 05:45:05 PM »
A 4-door Mustang would be been a pretty amazing interceptor!

Too bad the Crown Vic is gone - I knew that headlight configuration in my rear view from at least a km back (enough time to slow down before their forward facing radar could get me).   8) 8)
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 07:04:28 PM »
Too bad the Crown Vic is gone - I knew that headlight configuration in my rear view from at least a km back (enough time to slow down before their forward facing radar could get me).   8) 8)

:DD :DD :DD

Ain't that the truth eh?!
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »
As a point of interest my brother worked there for ten years, up until the end.

My father also worked there for a few years.

The factory is now closed, no more Crown Vics, no more Town Cars, no more Grand Marquis and no more Police Interceptors.  (The police car, technically, hasn't been a Crown Vic for about 5 years now.)

The margins on fleet vehicles are very low.  Most of the money was made by exporting to the mideast, but not nearly enough volume to update the design.  (I guess they made a Crown Vic that ran on leaded gas, and had a huge cooling system.)

I agree that giving up the police market seems crazy, but the Interceptor only had 260 horsepower.  It has less interior space and trunk space than any other police package.  The police departments want to seem 'new', and that means new cars.  Dodge sales of RWD cars are already slipping, and GM is going to discover why they left the segment over a decade ago, and why the Pontiac G8 killed the division a few years ago.

As a side note, while my brother has found other employment (and my father has retired to Panama), the region where the cars were made has the largest unemployment for any 'large' city in Canada.  I believe it's 9%.  (The factory is in St. Thomas, Ontario, but is considered part of London, Ontario for statistical purposes.)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 03:59:58 PM »
The G8 didn't kill Pontiac. The Aztek did most of that, along with the way overpriced GTO. That and the fact that the geriatric Buick sells well in China. The G8 is returning as the Chevy Caprice. The RWD Dodge Magnum will return when the next gen Charger/300 debut in a year or two. There will also be a Lancia version of that RWD platform for Europe.

The Police Interceptor has been Ford's name for its police specials for as long as I can remember. They still retained their regular model names, i.e. Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. Many, many years ago my parents had a 1958 Fairlane 500 PI. There used to be a Mustang PI. There are currently Taurus and Explorer PI's. I doubt that FWD cars will stand much of a chance in the police market against the RWD Charger Pursuit or Caprice PPV.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/2010fleetshowroom/2010-crvicpoliceint.asp

Back in the 80's, I had a Crown Vic that was the same color silver are the Ohio State Highway Patrol cars of the time. It was fun to watch to watch oncoming traffic suddenly slow down when they spotted it.  ;)

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 04:34:30 PM »
I think the G6 killed Pontiac, because it was not a significant upgrade on the Grand-Am. It was based on an Opel platform, but as usual GM dumbed it down for the US market. The Big 3 got the idea somewhere that Americans would buy anything, which is why 2 of them went bankrupt and Ford teeters on the brink. The G6 is the car that paid the bills, the others were traffic builders. I'm not sure if they have truly learned their lesson, but the Buick version of the G6 platform is a much better car.
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 05:08:52 PM »
The G8 didn't kill Pontiac. The Aztek did most of that, along with the way overpriced GTO. That and the fact that the geriatric Buick sells well in China. The G8 is returning as the Chevy Caprice. The RWD Dodge Magnum will return when the next gen Charger/300 debut in a year or two. There will also be a Lancia version of that RWD platform for Europe.

The Police Interceptor has been Ford's name for its police specials for as long as I can remember. They still retained their regular model names, i.e. Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. Many, many years ago my parents had a 1958 Fairlane 500 PI. There used to be a Mustang PI. There are currently Taurus and Explorer PI's. I doubt that FWD cars will stand much of a chance in the police market against the RWD Charger Pursuit or Caprice PPV.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/2010fleetshowroom/2010-crvicpoliceint.asp

Back in the 80's, I had a Crown Vic that was the same color silver are the Ohio State Highway Patrol cars of the time. It was fun to watch to watch oncoming traffic suddenly slow down when they spotted it.  ;)

About 5 years ago the 'Police Interceptor' became a distinct model from the Crown Vic. It's basically the same car, of course, but for ordering purposes it stopped being a variant on the Crown Vic.  (Originally the CVPI would be built on the line, and then sent off for modification.  The PI was built to police specs on the line, with the search lights, reinforced seats and electronics hookups.  It really brought the price of the PI down.)

The reasons for the death of Pontiac are surprisingly numerous.  However, in the context of RWD sedans, the G8 was the last one GM made.  If there was American demand for RWD sedans, then Pontiac would still exist.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 12:12:43 AM »
The G8 is still around. It's now the Chevy Caprice. GM also still has the Caddy CTS RWD coupes, sedans and wagons and DTS series RWD sedans. Of course, there are also the Camaro and Vette.
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 02:24:38 AM »
I have many fond memories riding in the back seat
of several Vic's,did you know there aren't any door
handles back there? :o
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle