collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 530
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Yet another air show disaster  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Canada Darrell™

Yet another air show disaster
« on: September 17, 2011, 06:59:16 PM »
As much as I love planes and anything related to flight I made a personal decision many years ago to never attend an air show of any kind. My hearts go out to the victims.

Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

David

Re: Yet another air show disaster
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 08:11:08 PM »
 :( Sorry to all effected by this tragic accident.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:08:34 PM »
Reno isn't an air show. Reno is a race. Judging by what I've seen in videos, the course was way too close to the stands. There is no way a turn towards the spectator area should have been anywhere near that close, IMO. The NTSB is investigating.

I've been to many, many airshow. I've been a spectator, I've flown in them & I've help put them on. If they are properly staged, attending one is as safe or safe or safer than attending an auto race.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2011/09/17/reno_police_say_9_people_killed_in_reno_air_crash/
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:23:28 PM »
Wow - I was at the Breitling Air Show today with my kids.  It was a fantastic show (unfortunately bad weather, so we didn't get to see 'Jet Man' which would have been the kids highlight).  This show was at an airfield located in a town (houses on every side) and the planes were flying every which way over the crowd.  Had there been an accident like that, there would very likely have been many fatalities. 

I was at an airshow in my late teens in Ottawa when almost the exact same thing happened to a P-51 flying there, but it crashed in a nearby golf course (about 100m from some golfers as it turned out later), nowhere near the crowd.  The pilot was the only casualty then.  They don't have the possibility here to stage them any safer thanks to the lay of the land.  There is also a major highway about 200m alongside the airfield. 

As much as it is amazing to watch machines in the air do amazing things, they have to come down one way or another...
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 05:41:47 AM »
The pilot was in his 70s and an experienced air racer. Expert observers were thinking he had a mechanical problem of some sort and tried to pull up and away from the crowd but couldn't complete the manoeuver. These kind of pylon races were quite popular during the 20s and 30s but died out because of accidents like this one. I believe Nevada is the only state that will allow them.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 02:24:26 PM »
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 01:37:43 PM »
Here's an update on the reno crash, from AOPA:

http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2011/110919reno-accident-probe-examines-memory-cards-telemetry.html?WT.mc_id=110923epilot&WT.mc_sect=gan

I agree with Rep. Graves' statement in the blue box on the right.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle