collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 282
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Did Ferrari Order Massa to Block Hamilton?  (Read 2617 times)

Offline cosworth151

Did Ferrari Order Massa to Block Hamilton?
« on: October 03, 2011, 05:04:31 PM »
Check out the Race Edit video of the Singapore GP on The Official F1 website:

http://www.formula1.com/video/

Listen at the 1:10 mark. Is that Rob Smedley telling Massa to "hold Hamilton" and "destroy his race?"  :o

This could get interesting.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

Re: Did Ferrari Order Massa to Block Hamilton?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 05:42:26 PM »
Hardly a new tactic in F1.

I don't want to see it there, but I don't really see much that can be done about it.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 07:35:59 PM »
That's not the point Jeri...Massa was a huge jerk about it after the race (as was I, I think...sorry Monty and Lewis  :DntKnw:  ).  It could well be taken as unsportsmanlike or bringing the sport into disrepute or some other little rule the FIA saves for those big big fines. 

I can't believe Smedley said that in the first place.  "Stay in front of Hamilton" would be a more acceptable way to put it, but to call on him to 'hold' Hamilton and then follow that up with 'Destroy his race'....well, wow.  Someone could even interpret that as an instruction to hit him. 

I wonder if Bernie heard that one and told them to put it in the race edit just to muck around.   :DD
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 07:44:52 PM »
That's not the point Jeri...Massa was a huge jerk about it after the race (as was I, I think...sorry Monty and Lewis  :DntKnw:  ).  It could well be taken as unsportsmanlike or bringing the sport into disrepute or some other little rule the FIA saves for those big big fines. 

I can't believe Smedley said that in the first place.  "Stay in front of Hamilton" would be a more acceptable way to put it, but to call on him to 'hold' Hamilton and then follow that up with 'Destroy his race'....well, wow.  Someone could even interpret that as an instruction to hit him. 

I wonder if Bernie heard that one and told them to put it in the race edit just to muck around.   :DD

I wonder if Massa was still following orders then?   :DntKnw:

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 07:48:20 PM »
That's the big question now, isn't it   ;)

Offline Andy B

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 11:42:57 PM »
Surely this is unacceptable and needs to be dealt with, telling your driver to push to stay in front but to say destroy his race does that mean Massa saw Lewis about to overtake and he backed off a little?
Was it a set up and aimed at putting Lewis further under the bad spotlight?
Are we back to the antics that gave Alonso a win on the very same track?
I hope further investigation takes place or is it a case that its Ferrari so it goes no further?

I hate all this we, the fans, pay for the racing and want it good, clean and fair.
Gets off soap box and slinks away.
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 02:28:38 AM »
Oh please! I doubt that Massa would deliberately put himself in the position to get a flat tire, and if someone hits you from behind the chances of you coming out unscathed are very slim. And he seemed very genuinely upset after the race was over. i think Smedley was just forcefully telling Felipe he needed to stay ahead of Hamilton. I don't see any upside to taking Hamilton out.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 11:20:20 AM »

Can't see any thing wrong in the radio transmission, destroying someones race strategy is not the same as destroying their race car. Even Massa, who for some reason seems to constantly need Smedley's guiding hand throughout races now, clearly knows this as well.   

Rob was just doing his usual to try to motivate Felipe, - now perhaps that is what really should be discussed. ;) 

Martin Brundle seems to think so anyway, he wrote on Twitter that he is sure Smedley wanted Massa to:-   
"wreck Hamilton’s strategy, not his car". "Why would Massa damage his own car intentionally?"

"(The) real story is Smedley must constantly direct and motivate his driver (and) has done for some time,"

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 12:19:33 PM »
"Why would Massa damage his own car intentionally?"

The same reason that Piquet did, on the same track to help the same driver. He's the second driver and he did what he was told to do. He "took one for the team."
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 03:01:13 PM »
"Why would Massa damage his own car intentionally?"

The same reason that Piquet did, on the same track to help the same driver. He's the second driver and he did what he was told to do. He "took one for the team."

I agree... it's not a far fetched to come to that conclusion  :(

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 06:05:43 PM »
Is it not every drivers job to "destroy" his opponents race?  The only surprise I think here really is that it was Rob Smedley who said it.  We somehow expect more from him

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 08:57:58 PM »
Come on. The pit strategies are completely different now, you cannot gain the same sort of advantage. The Piquet crash was to cause a safety car, which certainly would not have come out for the Massa/Hamilton bump. Even if Alonso had somehow gotten into the lead, he could not have held it against Vettel, even at Singapore. This was a racing incident between 2 drivers battling for position and nothing more.
Lonny

Offline Ian

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 10:07:12 PM »
In the RAF they used to call it....'Protect your Wingman'
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

David

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 07:45:16 PM »
Oh please! I doubt that Massa would deliberately put himself in the position to get a flat tire, and if someone hits you from behind the chances of you coming out unscathed are very slim. And he seemed very genuinely upset after the race was over. i think Smedley was just forcefully telling Felipe he needed to stay ahead of Hamilton. I don't see any upside to taking Hamilton out.

I go away for a couple of days and miss all the fun.  ::)

I have to agree with Lonny, this is a badly worded transmission by Smedley. Why would he say something to incriminate them both and the team over open airwaves.

Offline Scott

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 10:02:06 PM »
I don't seriously think there's a conspiracy...in fact if anything I bet Massa may have over-reacted to the transmission and paid too much attention to his mirrors and not enough to his racing line.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle