collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 268
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 10 things your car will have by 2020  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Dare

10 things your car will have by 2020
« on: October 18, 2011, 04:37:34 PM »
maybe your car will but I doubt mine will.Average people around
the world can't afford these cars or don't want to fork out the cash

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/10-things-your-car-will-have-by-2021

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Online Jericoke

Re: 10 things your car will have by 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:15:02 PM »
The government is going to put GM right back out of business with these new regs.

Sure, a car with $10,000 of electronics might be safer and more fuel effecient, but that's the cost of a decent used car.

However, I can't wait for the adpative speed and car to car communication.  When all cars have an understanding (and I presume the traffic lights are part of the conversation), we can put the rush back into rush hour.  Saving commuters 20 minutes a day is priceless.  (Well, depending on what they come home to...)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:35:22 PM »
I'm wondering how they will achieve  60+ miles per gallon. It won't be an internal combustion car. It has always puzzled me that the government thinks if they will it, it will just happen, laws of physics be d@#$%^.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:54:14 PM »
My car in 2021 will get very good mileage and have 2 sidedraft SU carbs - It will still be my MG Midget! (I might even have it done by then.)
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 03:06:43 PM »
I'm wondering how they will achieve  60+ miles per gallon. It won't be an internal combustion car. It has always puzzled me that the government thinks if they will it, it will just happen, laws of physics be d@#$%^.

If a Chevy Volt gets infinite MPG, and a Chevy Silverado gets 30 MPG, voila, that's an average of 60 MPG per car.

The magic of CAFE:  the laws of statistics overrule the laws of physics.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 05:53:33 PM »
We cannot put a large number of plug in electric cars on the road without substantial upgrades to the power grid. We have brownouts and blackouts now when the weather gets hot. And power plants release almost as much pollution into the air as cars do.
Lonny

Online Jericoke

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:08:09 PM »
We cannot put a large number of plug in electric cars on the road without substantial upgrades to the power grid. We have brownouts and blackouts now when the weather gets hot. And power plants release almost as much pollution into the air as cars do.

I never said that CAFE made any sense.  Just that it's not a difficult target.

I'd like to think that conpiracists are right, and that the oil companies are sitting on patents that provide far greater efficiency for cars   :crazy:

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 12:49:20 PM »
The math isn't that simple. Many people, including me, need full size trucks for work. For most people outside of big cities, cars like the Volt are pretty much worthless. I couldn't even make a one-way trip to my daughter's house in a plug-in electric. Claw_Grrrl couldn't make it into town to go to the store.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
One good innovation would be a hands OFF reverse mode for women.  :P  :tease:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Online Jericoke

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 03:08:56 PM »
The math isn't that simple. Many people, including me, need full size trucks for work. For most people outside of big cities, cars like the Volt are pretty much worthless. I couldn't even make a one-way trip to my daughter's house in a plug-in electric. Claw_Grrrl couldn't make it into town to go to the store.

The key is the AVERAGE.

You're right, many people aren't going to find a use for the Chevy golf carts.  So what will happen, at the end of the year when the MPG average is hovering at 58, all of management will get a $10,000 voucher to buy their kids a Volt.  Car company meets its goal.  Obama meets his goal.  Everyone looks good, and GM is left scrambling to make enough money to pay back the government, even though the Volt is suddenly the top selling car for the month.

However, I do have faith that, eventually, the research will come through, and GM will offer a gutsy pickup truck that makes a 2007 Toyata Prius look like a gas guzzler.  Still, it would be nice if market forces were at work, rather than government legislation.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle