collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 368
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Montreal -03  (Read 13319 times)

Offline bo bruce

Montreal -03
« on: November 29, 2011, 04:24:27 PM »
Hi all-
i've been chatting with one of our more personable GG members here, and the question of attending any real GP's came up. having been to Montreal (almost 10 years ago) :o   i have posted a zip file of the photo's i took here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DVYMDKLW

its 18+Mb and you have to wait a bit for the download to allow access (30sec)

hApPy tRaiLs

Offline Scott

Re: Montreal -03
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 04:28:14 PM »
Where are you bo?  Are European races a possibility?
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline bo bruce

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 04:37:28 PM »
Euro races would be a nice dream. my wife keeps it as our 'retirement/2d honeymoon' plan... but i don't even have a passport :P
we live in northern Indiana/USA about 3 hr drive from the IndyMotorSpeedway
hApPy tRaiLs

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:47:39 PM »
Bummer...looks like Bernie's just playing games with the American promoters, so chances of an American GP are slim.  Go back to Montreal.  Everyone I've known that has gone there has said it's a fun race to watch, if a bit expensive.  Maybe your US$ will rebound sometime soon.   :DntKnw:

Offline bo bruce

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 05:24:54 PM »
F1 fans here are as passionate as anywhere... Bernie said INDY didn't promote the race enough, yet i understood attendance was around 120k... compare that with some of the Asian numbers -  did he expect the GP to draw the same crowd as the 500 (400k) ??  sadly, not at the track that was designed there.
i had (still have) high hope for Austin.. but that's where it hurts. its hope/disappointment/hope/disappointment over and over..and we still don't have a rep F1 driver - maybe that's part of it?  until we do, they know there won't be support for a race? 
the NJersey attempt looks good also.. but dare i get hopes up for TWO USGP's when we don't even have ONE?

Montreal is a fantastic city. we'd go back just to visit - race or not :)  the track was ok. the setting is beautiful, but per the photo's you can see its limited viewing. about where you stand -  that's it. and i'm sure its improved, but there was no score board. we never knew who was running 2d/3d etc... only some fan near by that had some communication device was able to inform the peasants among us :P

where are you located Scott?
hApPy tRaiLs

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 06:15:19 PM »
Southern Switzerland

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 06:38:59 PM »
I'm live in southeast Ohio. I was born at Camp Atterbury, between Indy & Louisville.

I was at Indy for every day of every F1 race. It was the best F1 venue ever! The crowds were huge, but the facility is so gigantic that it looked half empty.

I've tried to download your pictures a couple of times, but Windows doesn't recognize the link.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline bo bruce

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 06:56:48 PM »
I'm live in southeast Ohio. I was born at Camp Atterbury, between Indy & Louisville.

I was at Indy for every day of every F1 race. It was the best F1 venue ever! The crowds were huge, but the facility is so gigantic that it looked half empty.

I've tried to download your pictures a couple of times, but Windows doesn't recognize the link.
i just tried the link.. works ok (winXP)  look in the upper right corner for 
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DVYMDKLW
then click on REGULAR DOWNLOAD

let me know if still doesn't work~

too true about Indy's size being a negative for crowd size :o
hApPy tRaiLs

Offline PG_Gabriel

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 07:44:54 PM »
I'm in southern Wisconsin. I was planning on going to Montreal last summer but was in Germany during the gp. I'm really hoping to go this summer though! and would defiantly make a road trip to New Jersey if the race pulls through. If I make it, it will be my first F1 GP, I've been to a few Indy races at Millwakie, and St. Petersburg, and ALMS at Road America, but still no F1  :(

Jugirl

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 08:13:31 PM »
Finally got the old Pc up and running and was able to view the pictures.

You have some great ones there Bo Bruce, I loved the pit lane shots  :good:

Looks like you had a great view from where you were sitting and the whole track/scenery look really cool!

I couldn't quite tell but in the first picture is it Fernando in the Renault?

Thanks for showing us your pictures  :good:

Ju

Offline bo bruce

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »
Fernando who?? ;)

seriously..  i've no idea :(  i'd have to go back and look at F1 history to verify who raced what, and a car number.
of course Michael won.. and i recall brother Ralf being in the race, the rest is too far back to remember details.
we were there for 4 days, taking it all in.. and the wet practice was something to behold. Seeing Weber slide off track in practice directly in front of us is somewhat unreal.. unexpected and so the mind doesn't comprehend immediately what is being witnessed.  hence the photo of him stopped :P

a few memories will never leave me tho-
standing at the straight leading to the hairpin, the cars are painfully LOUD... ear-splitting doesn't do the term justice. i wore no protection (silly me) as i had been to Indy and never experienced anything so piercing. if someone would have said "hey mate, your ears are bleeding" i would not have been surprised.  :o

then the most revealing, is from our seats, seeing cars come out of Turn 5, come toward us and in my mind thinking 'he's not going to make it!' .. he's bloody well over done it!.. but no! the braking power is incredible - and what is lost on a TV broadcast is the transition of speed from very fast, slow  to make a turn, and acceleration out of... the camera's tend to stay with a car, pan the scene, which is fine, to see car details, maybe driver hands... but you lose the intensity of making the turn!
a few times on TV they accidentally show a turn before they cut away, and a car comes thru and out of frame.. and that lights my fire as i recall - YES - look at that!  amazing -

these drivers really are better than we can imagine ~
link to the race results: http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/rr705.html

hApPy tRaiLs

Jugirl

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »
Fernando the best ever and always will be the best ;) hehe

I know what you mean about the braking/accelerating of the cars. When i went to Silverstone this year I was at the end of the Wellington straight overlooking Brooklands and Luffields as they went off into the old pit straight. I couldn't believe the sudden braking and acceleration of the cars, it was amazing. As for the noise...OUCH...it takes your breath away (Even the dirty sounding Renault ;) ). Also as it was wet as they were going round to the grid it was amusing to hear the cars blast off down the straight (not being able to see them) and just see a plume of spray over the grandstand in front of me.

Sorry Ian for reminding you but I also got a good view of a crash when Schumacher and Kobayashi came together right in front of my me. Also Lewis ran wide more than a few times as well (which made me laugh hehe)

Really hope I get to go again

Ju

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 08:45:29 PM »
I found the source of the problem I was having with the download:

http://torrentfreak.com/dns-seizure-takes-out-megaupload-111129/

I agree about TV not being able to show the sheer power of F1 cars. The braking and handling is unbelievable.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline bo bruce

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 09:00:53 PM »
ok.. i've uploaded to an alternate site - but!
BE WARNED!!
i've gotten a message of a virus, when i accidentally clicked on the DOWNLOAD button.

instead, scroll down toward the bottom where it says
Last viewed:    Save file to your PC: Download

http://www.2shared.com/file/Rc9aF8Oh/Montreal_Pics.html
hApPy tRaiLs

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 09:27:44 PM »
Great pix, Bo!  :good:

Thanks for sharing them with us. Good to see the Jag F1 cars again, too. I always like them.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle