collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 324
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: dropped pc  (Read 15336 times)

Online Dare

dropped pc
« on: December 05, 2011, 04:51:31 AM »
Yesterday I knocked my pc off my stand and now when I try to
turn it on I get a disk readerror has occured.It then says press
ctr+alt+del to restart.Unfortually it doesn't restart and goes back to the
original message

Does anyone have a idea what it might be?mb or hard drive?

would reinstalling with a recovery disk help?

thanks

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:15:50 AM by Dare »

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Canada Darrell™

Re: dropped pc
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 07:04:01 AM »
Ouch! I fear the worst especially if the computer was on at the time as it is almost certainly your hard drive. If this is indeed the case then nothing short of very expensive data recovery is your only option. If you can live without anything that was on the HD then a new one is is order and then begin the painful OS reinstallation.

FYI, I have recovered dead hard drives for just long enough to pull some/all the data off of it by wrapping the HD in kitchen wrap a few time and placing it in the deep freeze for 24 hours. No gaurantees this will work as it is possible the sudden impact killed a read/write head or several.

I gotta ask though, how the heck do you knock a computer off the desk?
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Online Dare

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 07:23:54 AM »
Thanks Darrell,that's what I feared.I can do without the data so
that's not a worry.Would have to be a 1tb hd.And I misplaced my
recovery disk

How?I had a hd cable running from my pc to my tv and I forgot to
pick my big feet up.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Neil.P

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 08:09:47 AM »
Crikey, he used to be content with just chucking his keyboard on the floor. He's taken it up a notch. :(

I hope you get it back working Dare :good:

Neil.P
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:08:21 PM by Neil.P »

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 08:35:09 AM »
You clumsy oaf Dare. A new hard drive's not that expensive, I had to have one in mine, It cost me £36 and that was for a 160GB one.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 09:35:04 AM »
Testdisk software is free and it works!

When my customers cant access there hard drives through damage then I always use this and I can usually recover 90% of their information. It may be worth a try to recover anything important.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 10:50:48 AM by Wizzo »
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:52:33 AM »

Total sympathy for your situation Dare, unlike certain scurvy pirates.  ;)   

I have a similar problem with a laptop, even though I have the recovery discs I still can't get it back to life, it's a toss up now whether I spend big money on professional repair or save up for a new one.  :confused:  

Greater age brings greater unsteadiness and memory lapse, as well as wisdom.  :D

Oh and thanks Wizzo I'll give Testdisk a try.  

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:25:56 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Dare

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 10:55:30 AM »
Testdisk software is free and it works!

When my customers cant access there hard drives through damage then I always use this and I can usually recover 90% of their information. It may be worth a try to recover anything important.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

how to you go about downloading it if your pc  won't boot?Do youmake a
copy on another pc?

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 12:27:23 PM »
Unfortunately the answer is yes dare.

You need to install the software on a working PC then connect the damaged HD and try to repair/recover the data.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 12:41:47 PM »
First, open your case and make sure that you haven't just knocked a plug or two loose.

If the problem is just in the boot area of the HD, you can pick up an external hard drive enclosure that plugs into a USB port. This would allow you to copy data to the new drive. I've done this a couple of times, and still use those drives for overflow & portable storage. I paid $5 for the last enclosure I bought out of a scratch & dent bin at Microcenter.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0373198
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online Dare

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »
First, open your case and make sure that you haven't just knocked a plug or two loose.

If the problem is just in the boot area of the HD, you can pick up an external hard drive enclosure that plugs into a USB port. This would allow you to copy data to the new drive. I've done this a couple of times, and still use those drives for overflow & portable storage. I paid $5 for the last enclosure I bought out of a scratch & dent bin at Microcenter.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0373198

thanks  everyone,how do Ijoin 2 pc'stogether?cOS IS THE EXTERNAL HD A PERMANENT FIX?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
You would still need a new internal HD to operate from. The external would allow you to: 1. retrieve data from the older, damaged HD and 2. use the old HD as extra or back-up storage. Your old drive will show up as secondary HD, i.e. Drive E:.

Best of luck, my friend! I'll be in the office and on line most of the day if you need me. Just shoot me a pm.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

David

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 01:36:40 PM »
Not much more I can add Dare, only bless you with some Irish luck.

Good Luck in you quest my friend.  :good:

Online Dare

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 01:50:57 AM »
more great  news,I can't find my recovery disk and trying to contact
Newegg's customer service is a waste of time.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 09:22:32 PM »
This is a horrible situation :(

If I'd been in commuting distance, I'd have put your damaged hard drive in my computer as a non-master drive (with a known working hard drive as master). This would enable me to get past the error message and copy over anything that could be copied in standard Windows.

As it stands, I can see this could be a big problem. If you can't find the recovery disk, I have to wonder if it would be worth you getting a cheap computer as a replacement - a hard drive plus operating system is close to the cost of an entry-level computer.

Hopefully the recovery disk will turn out to be down the back of the sofa or otherwise turn up (intact) when you're not really looking for it, because that will make things considerably easier.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle