collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 367
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: dropped pc  (Read 15343 times)

Offline Scott

Re: dropped pc
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 10:00:30 PM »
Here are my best suggestions.

1.  See if you can convince Cossy to come for a service call - I understand he works for beer and gas for his van.   :P

2.  Skype with Ali - might be a bit longer to sort out since she'll probably give you a shopping list to start with.

3.  Send Darrell a PM...of all the people I know personally, he'd be my 1st choice for a tech.  I understand he's never seen Kentucky in the winter.  Worth a PM.

:good: :good: :D 

Honlestly, wish I could help.  First I'm not tech, and secondly, I hail from the dark side (Apple).   :confused: 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Dare

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 10:45:05 PM »
Actually Ali it was a gaming pc,on the low end,so I'drather get this
one working again.I emailed the manufacturer and I can buy another
recovery disk for $30.It only came loaded with Windows 7[nothing else]

One option is to buy another pc and use the video card and poer supply
from the old one.It just turned 1 year old :'(

I'd like to find someone who could tellme for sure exactly whats wrong with it
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 01:43:17 AM »
Dare, just to be clear, when you turn the computer on do you get this read/write error message right away or do you get the Windows logo and then the message?

I'm fairly certain it is the HD that is toast though. Adding the drive to a 2nd PC as suggested by Ali would be the first thing to try but there is still no gaurantee the drive is functioning properly from a read/write perspective.

Here's the problem...with the recent flooding in Thailand, (pretty much the ONLY supplier of key hard drive components in the world :o) hard drive prices have doubled and in some cases tripled as a result.

Since you've already said you could live without your data I would suggest you grab a 1TB drive from a reputable dealer that will allow you to return the drive should it turn out that something other than your HD is damaged. As for getting a recovery disc, don't bother. You can download the OS image right from Microsoft and burn it to a DVD and install it using your own Windows key...which I trust you have or is printed on the side of your computer. Just make sure you grab the correct image for the OS you had otherwise your key will not work. If there are pictures or anything on your old HD you really would like back I am willing to have a go at it but you'd need to get the drive to me. If I'm able to grab anything off it I could either send it to my dropbox account or transfer it to a USB thumb drive or something.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline Dare

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 01:59:02 AM »
I get the read/write message without the MS logo.Another question if
I had a recovery disk could I add a hd other than 1tb?I really don't need
that much space.

I had F1 2010 downloaded but that's something I rarely played.Everything
else I can redownload.

Like you Darrell I may be a world famous GG Champion but unlioke you
I'm a glutz working on pc's
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 03:18:18 AM »
You'll be able to recover to a smaller disc to answer your question. You should also be able to redownload F1 no? If not then boo to Codemasters for not allowing it!!!!!

Cheers

Offline Dare

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 11:58:43 PM »
Darrell,went to a pc repair store today and the owner
said he'd find what'swrong and if it was the hd  it would cost
around $150.

Part of it was a $100 dollar charge for installing Windows 7
since I lost the recovery disk.And it would be a smaller hd.

I can get a recovery disk from Ibuypower for around $30,would
this work on a smaller hd?

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 11:41:30 PM »
A hard drive can be any size you like provided it's the same type of drive as the one that's stopped working. Your hard drive is very likely to be a S-ATA (Serial ATA) drive but could be a SCS (Serial Attached SCSI). If it's only 1 year old, it's very unlikely to be anything else. Take out the failed hard drive as carefully as possible and make a note of what the attachment to the computer looks like (draw a diagram or take a photo if possible). Show that to a PC techie and they'll be able to tell you which one you'll need (there are several different connectors for both types so I'm not 100% sure if the Wikipedia pages alone will help).

Once you know whether it's a S-ATA or SCS, any hard drive big enough to take your data will do. It just so happens that the larger the drive, the better value it is (unless of course you buy one so big you'll not fill it at any point in the next decade - and if your data needs are modest, 1 TB might be too big).

I'm not sure how recovery disks from providers other than the one you got the original from would work. If Ibuypower's write-up indicates it will work with your particular computer, then that should work on any hard drive. It just needs the same stuff plugged in to your computer as it had when it arrived and you don't strike me as the sort of person who plays Frankenstein with your machine*.

If the recovery disk turns out not to be compatible with your computer, it'll be because it's missing some drivers (assuming the disk you're looking at includes the correct operating system, which I'm assuming you've already checked). These are invariably things that can be fixed provided you can get hold of an internet connection (either because the modem driver happens to be correct for your computer or because you can borrow a friend's). If the recovery disk misses a driver, you can stick the make and model into a search engine, find out what the bit it's missing a driver for is called, stick that into a search engine and download the driver that should then appear.

In other words, possible incompatibility with your machine is not a reason to avoid getting a recovery disk, unless you come across a disk that definitely is compatible.

Re-downloading F1 2010 likely depends on where you downloaded it from. I suggest you go to the site you got it from after you've re-installed and check its policy. If it's clear, follow whatever procedure is recommended. If it's not, ask someone in Customer Support, and be prepared to escalate the matter if they respond with something that doesn't answer the question.

* - If I'm wrong, you'll probably have the driver disks for the upgraded lying around somewhere anyway - simply install them after the recovery disk has done its work.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Dare

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 11:51:01 PM »
thanks Ali ;)I haven't had time to look into as of yet.I did
look into the case and so what looked like a wire unplugged,I hope
once it's plugged in my pc will come to life[fat  chance though]

Being pc techy illiterate I hope the shop I take it to doesn't scam me
for a new hd if I don't need it.

Thanks for all the help

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 01:27:47 AM »
Could you get the PC shop to fit a hard drive bought elsewhere?
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Dare

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 01:53:11 AM »
Could you get the PC shop to fit a hard drive bought elsewhere?

that same shot installed a better video card and power
supply on the pc I'm using now.

One of my main worries is some reviews of the shop,one says stay
away from this shop at all costs :o

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 01:58:57 AM »
If you're satisfied with their service and the majority of reviews are positive, I'd say go ahead. I can tell you that there are always people you just can't please no matter how hard you try.
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 09:29:32 PM »
Whoops, sorry for not answering your question Dare!  :-[

Small HD will not be a problem though I never got my question on whether you have your Windows installation Key or not. If you bought a computer with Win 7 preinstalled it is supposed to have, by the OEM agreement Microsoft has with manufacturers, the Key printed right on the side or back of the computer.

You can download the ISO (which you burn onto a DVD) for whatever version you had here:

http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/2009/11/download-retail-windows-7-iso-from-official-website/

When you install these it will prompt you for your CD Key. This is all legit and legal.

Personally the only thing I've ever seen on Windows 7 "recovery discs" is a bunch of Crapware and time-limited unnecessary anti-virus software.

Windows 7 will sniff out pretty much all modern hardware. Use Microsoft's own "Microsoft Security Essentials" for antivirus, works great. Great reviews even from usual Microsoft haters.

Offline Dare

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 11:18:57 PM »
thanks Darrell,it has a MS sticker on the side of my pc and it came
with Windows 7 only,no unwanted 60 day free trial crap

Offline Dare

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 03:05:21 PM »
Darrell,what steps do I take in downloading to DVD?

I already downloaded the proper version,what next?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 03:59:09 PM »
Check your Windows 7 manual pack that came with your PC. There should be a sticker with the code key on it.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle