collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 191
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13028 Posts
John S John S
11302 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ferrari gets more prize money than Red Bull  (Read 1925 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Ferrari gets more prize money than Red Bull
« on: December 06, 2011, 04:56:16 PM »

Mostly teams seem happy about extra 2.5% Ferrari gets, but why?  :confused:

Below our chums at thef1times.com, quoting Autosport, try to explain the complex way that prize money is distributed in F1. There's more twists and restrictions than in a cheap internet and phone deal.  :D 
Warning no liability accepted for headaches or nausea resulting from trying to make sense of it.  ;):DD

http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/05144

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 04:59:56 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

Re: Ferrari gets more prize money than Red Bull
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 05:25:40 PM »
Nausea - definitely.  What's the saying?  Ya make your bed, you better sleep in it.  If all the teams give Ferrari 2.5% up front just for being Ferrari, then I don't want to hear any whining about not enough money.  :sick: :sick:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 08:18:36 PM »
In North America, the major sports leagues have all had recent labour strife as they try to make sure that the 'small' teams are capable of competing with the big teams.  That is to say, through a luxuary tax New York Yankees basically cover the payroll of the Florida Marlins, or with a salary cap Toronto Maple Leafs can't spend a penny more the the Phoenix Coyotees, or that through revenue sharing the Dallas Cowboys and Cincinnati Bengals pool their money and each take an equal share.  (I don't understand what just happened in basketball.  Something about Lebron James screwing everyone over I think.)

In F1 the small teams actually foot Ferrari's bill.  And happy to do it, since Ferrari is the biggest name in racing, and F1 isn't worth half without them.

David

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
Probably best I don't comment on this one.  ;)

However.... It is true that the Ferrari name is synonymous with racing, and F1 in particular. Hence they bring value to any series. Is it right that they get more than others? That debate could go on for a long long time with no agreement.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
They pay more because they know Ferrari's capable of making the series collapse if not appeased. It's partly a carry-over from the FISA/FOCA war (yes, the payment dates that far back) and partly a measure to try to ensure something vaguely resembling reasonable behaviour from Ferrari, since it is too powerful for the other teams to control using normal measures.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 03:26:10 AM »
Since no one will say it, I will....and this would go for any single F1 team. If Ferrari left and took all their toys with them I wouldn't miss them. Another manufacturer would step up to fill the gap. Hell, if it happened I would probably make my team's colour red just to p*ss 'em off!

Of course, this is merely MY opinion which isn't worth much. I would welcome Porsche, Nissan and even Toyota back and I'm sure they would all reap the rewards while Ferrari merely bribes automotive journalists for glowing reviews.
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 04:50:50 AM »
I'm with CD. Ferrari himself was not a pleasant character. Ferrari the team has not always been a premier team. Some people thought Ferrari was on their way out just before they hired Schumacher. Losing the Tifosi would be a blow, but F1 would recover. If you're a true fan, McLaren is just as powerful a name, they just started a few years later. If Ron Dennis and company are as good as I think they are, in 20 years  they will be equal to Ferrari and Porsche. Bah! The team that wins should get the biggest share, or it should be split equally.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 11:36:07 AM »
I'm with CD. Ferrari himself was not a pleasant character. Ferrari the team has not always been a premier team. Some people thought Ferrari was on their way out just before they hired Schumacher. Losing the Tifosi would be a blow, but F1 would recover. If you're a true fan, McLaren is just as powerful a name, they just started a few years later. If Ron Dennis and company are as good as I think they are, in 20 years  they will be equal to Ferrari and Porsche. Bah! The team that wins should get the biggest share, or it should be split equally.

I wouldn't miss them either...sorry David.  I'm sure you'd find another team to root for though.

As for your last line Lonny - I agree 100%.  No way should Ferrari get a bigger share solely because they are Ferrari.  If they want more money, they should simply (or not so simply) win. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle