collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 530
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Verstappen: Schumacher used electronic aids  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Dare

Verstappen: Schumacher used electronic aids
« on: December 09, 2011, 01:20:37 AM »
Sour grapes or the truth?

Jos Verstappen remains convinced that Michael Schumacher won his maiden World title with the help of electronic aids.

The Dutchman was Schumacher's team-mate at Benetton when he won the first of his seven Championships in 1994. The young Schumacher thoroughly out-drove Verstappen, scoring 92 points from fourteen races in comparison to Verstappen's ten points from ten races.

Verstappen has long stated that he did not believe that he and the German was driving the same car and he has once again reiterated his belief that Schumacher had electronic assistance.

"People think I'm looking for an excuse," Verstappen told NuSport.

"I just know that his car was different to my car.

"I kept thinking: this can't be done! I braked at the limit and went as hard as possible into the corners. Schumacher was able to do things and not to me. There was something wrong."

The 39-year-old explains that he went to team boss Flavio Briatore to discuss whether Schumacher was using electronic aids but did not receive a direct response on the subject.

"There were electronic aids. They will never admit it, but I am convinced," said Verstappen.

"I later asked Flavio Briatore, who had brought me to Benetton and was then the team manager. He said, 'Let's not talk about it.' So I know enough now."

The Dutchman added that: "Michael depends on the car just like everybody else. To some people he is God. That bit is disappearing. He is not superman - he never was.

"When we went karting he never beat me. I know the reason why he beat me at Benetton."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: Verstappen: Schumacher used electronic aids
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 02:57:30 AM »
Sour grapes.

Why would a team run two different cars?  It's one thing when there's only a handful of development parts (*cough* rbr front wing *cough*), but a whole season with two different programmes intended to hamper one driver?  Even Briatore couldn't be that cruel.

Certainly the car could conceivably been more suitable for Schumacher, and as a number one driver he had the better strategies, but anything else doesn't make any sense at all.

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 03:02:09 AM »
Sour grapes.

Why would a team run two different cars?  It's one thing when there's only a handful of development parts (*cough* rbr front wing *cough*), but a whole season with two different programmes intended to hamper one driver?  Even Briatore couldn't be that cruel.

Certainly the car could conceivably been more suitable for Schumacher, and as a number one driver he had the better strategies, but anything else doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm with you Jeri,why run a car to hamper your teamie when team
orders will do the trick
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 03:16:47 AM »
I've always found it interesting that he was never outstanding at the Mercedes Sports Car team. Sauber Mercedes did not consider him a lead driver.
Lonny

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 05:20:58 AM »
What the heck, this same old rehashed crap again? The guy just lost any remaining respect I may have had for him. Put up or shut up Jos.  :nono:
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

Offline rmassart

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 09:14:37 AM »
orders will do the trick

Maybe because having only one illegal car limits your chances of being caught.

This is not about hampering one driver. It's about illegal boosting your main driver. I don't think Benetton were interested in what happened to Verstappen, as long as Schumacher was up front. In fact no team with Schumacher in it has ever been concerned much with his team mate.

Now, I don't want have a go at Schumacher or Flavio, but lets face it, their actions in the 15 years following that first title don't make them look like angels when it comes to sticking to the rules.

Even Senna believed that car was illegal given the number of "perfect" starts Schumacher was managing.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 11:53:27 AM »

Wot - an F1 team bending the rules and cheating, surely not?  :o :D

In a longer article on this same subject, on gpupdate.net, Jos is quoted as saying, "I drove Michael's car a few times, at Hockenheim for example, but I spun off. There's no way that he could have been so fast with that set-up. But the system that Michael used wasn't in the car at that moment." Well now along with the fact that he beat Michael in karting that's obviously proof postitive that Michael and Benetton were cheating, ::) - or it could be that you are not the driver you think you are Jos?  :P

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 03:24:32 PM »
orders will do the trick

Maybe because having only one illegal car limits your chances of being caught.

This is not about hampering one driver. It's about illegal boosting your main driver. I don't think Benetton were interested in what happened to Verstappen, as long as Schumacher was up front. In fact no team with Schumacher in it has ever been concerned much with his team mate.

Now, I don't want have a go at Schumacher or Flavio, but lets face it, their actions in the 15 years following that first title don't make them look like angels when it comes to sticking to the rules.

Even Senna believed that car was illegal given the number of "perfect" starts Schumacher was managing.

The winning cars get scrutineered much more closely than the losing ones.

And you're certainly right, without Schumacher and Briatore's reputations, this story would be laughed at, not reported.

As for 'perfect starts', I wasn't watching F1 back then, but I know that in his Ferrari days Schumacher was a tireless tester.  I presume the same was true at Bennetton.  It's entirely possible he was more familiar with his machine than anyone else on the grid.  That's going to make it seem so much more super human on Sundays.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 03:56:16 PM »
The one part on Schumi's car that vastly different on Jos's was in the area between the steering wheel & the seat. ;)

Cheating with a launch control system was fairly common back then, but why just on one car?
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline rmassart

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 05:53:24 PM »
Cheating with a launch control system was fairly common back then, but why just on one car?

I wouldn't be so sure. It was fairly common at Benetton perhaps!

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 07:34:12 PM »
The one part on Schumi's car that vastly different on Jos's was in the area between the steering wheel & the seat. ;)

Exactly.  Never been much of a Jos fan.  It just seems like he wants to be in the news every six months or so by saying something outrageous. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 07:46:56 PM »

Exactly.  Never been much of a Jos fan.  It just seems like he wants to be in the news every six months or so by saying something outrageous. 

The Dutch JV   :D

(Or does that make Villeneuve the Canadian JV?   :fool: )

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle