collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 575
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Ford Abandons Another Market  (Read 1305 times)

Offline cosworth151

Ford Abandons Another Market
« on: December 09, 2011, 01:34:50 PM »
In another WTF move, Ford has announced that it is going to abandon yet another market segment that it has totally dominated for decades.

First, Ford walked away from the police, taxi and livery markets that it has dominated for decades when it discontinued the Ford Crown Victoria/Lincoln Town Car. Now, Ford has announced that it will discontinue the E-Series (Econoline) van in 2013. 60% of all vans sold in the U.S. last year were Ford E-Series.

Ford will attempt to sell a version of the Transit van that will be built in Kansas City. It will be called the T-Series. The top engine choice will be a tiny turbo diesel instead of the current, absolutely wonderful 415 c.i.d. s.o.h.c. V-10.

Dodge tried a similar move a few years ago when it marketed a re-badged Mercedes Sprinter. It knocked Dodge completely out of the van market. Most Dodge dealers refused to even carry it. Mercedes & Frieghtliner have both also tried to sell the Sprinter over here.

I've put many, many miles on every generation of Econoline. I started with a 1967, with a beam front axle and a Falcon 6. My current E has a Police Interceptor drivetrain. I've got nearly 300,000 miles on it.

“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Ford Abandons Another Market
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 01:52:14 PM »

Ford has been developing the next generation of Transit (T series) vans at Dearborn for some time, not only as a repacement for the E series but as a global van platform to replace the European Transit van model as well.

With Fiat now controlling Chrysler, and I guess Dodge, you'll be seeing Iveco turbo oil burners in place of Sprinters in the Dodge range in future.

Days of the mass market big engine gas guzzlers now seems numbered.  :(

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:55:36 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 03:10:55 PM »
It's part of Mullaly's strategy:  they've stopped selling vehicles that don't make money.

The margin on police cars was tiny, and the low value of the US dollar made it impossible to continue paying CAW (Canadian Auto Workers) wages to make them.  There's a big brouhaha that Ford is trying to get London (Ontario - the city where all the laid off Crown Vic employees live) to buy the new Taurus Interceptor.

It would be the same thing with the E-Series.  Mostly low margin fleet sales, or bare bones work models.

Both the Panthers and the E-Series are old, and probably need work to be brought up to current CAFE and safety standards.  They couldn't find someone who would justify the cost/future profit ratio.

The biggest change in the car industry in the last 20 years is the internet.  Brand Loyalty is gone.  It used to be that a police officer spending all day in a Ford would think it's a good idea to buy one for the family.  Now, that officer does the research, sees which cars meet his needs and his budget, and buys the best car he can.  You can't begrudge people doing that, but it means that the reasons for selling cars at a loss have evaporated.

What I personally think Ford should have done with the Crown Vic was sell the plant/designs to someone else.  Ford might not be able to justify cranking out police cars at a loss, but CHP was their largest customer:   surely if they built their own cars, and sold to other police forces, they'd solve their own budget problems. 

Perhaps Penske could buy out the E-Series and have a plentiful fleet of rental vans to go with those Smart cars.  (You could sell them as a pair, use your E-Series as a garage for your smart car...)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »
I was hoping that Mullaly would leave before he could do any more damage. The last time I checked, making a little money was better than making no money at all.

The Panther replacement, the Mustang-based Interceptor, was ready to go. Failing that, they could have just brought up the Aussie Falcon. GM just did that with Holden for the new Caprice.

I'd also disagree about brand loyalty. I would never have bought anything new but a Ford. Now, I guess I'll have to go to a GMC Savana at some point. In the 28 years I've known him, my boss has always has Ford Rangers. I have many friends that would never even consider anything other than their favorite brand of vehicle. Several even have Ford or Chevy tattoos!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 07:59:12 PM »
I was hoping that Mullaly would leave before he could do any more damage. The last time I checked, making a little money was better than making no money at all.

The Panther replacement, the Mustang-based Interceptor, was ready to go. Failing that, they could have just brought up the Aussie Falcon. GM just did that with Holden for the new Caprice.

I'd also disagree about brand loyalty. I would never have bought anything new but a Ford. Now, I guess I'll have to go to a GMC Savana at some point. In the 28 years I've known him, my boss has always has Ford Rangers. I have many friends that would never even consider anything other than their favorite brand of vehicle. Several even have Ford or Chevy tattoos!

Don't get me wrong, the only cars I've ever had without the Blue Oval had the Mercury Waterfall.  (My mom had a Merkur XR4Ti that she sold before I learned to drive too.  Missed opportunity of my life!)

Certainly Apple has proven that brand loyalty is still a possibility in the modern age.  There's still room for it in the automotive world, but I think it will be limited to premium brands (Ferrari).  Are you willing to pay a premium price for an E-Series?

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »
That's pretty much what I did to have mine special ordered with the P.I. spec drive train. What other choice do I have? Carry all of my work gear around on my back? I've driven Sprinters. They're beyond horrible. Zero performance. Zero handling. Several of our people here at the office can't even drive them because they aren't available with automatics. Something else that the Transit shares with the Sprinter.

The point is, the Sprinter has proven that the Eurovan concept is totally unsuited to the American market. They can hardly give them away. So why is Ford dumping a vehicle that dominates it's field for a copy of something that is a drag on the market?
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 04:27:19 PM »
I drove a 4 cylinder automatic van for a holiday job I do.Saying it
was sluggish is a understatement.The engine sounded like it was
going to come apart.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Scott

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »
My Mom used to say I drove like a taxi driver (full throttle only broken up by hard stomping on the brakes).  Those litte four bangers can't take that kind of driving...maybe you do to Dare?   :P
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 05:39:30 PM »

Obviously you've all never come across the notorious 'White Van men' of Essex, :D - oh there's also quite a few in other parts of Britain.  ;)

You would not be referring to Transits or other European panel vans as being sluggish after seeing dozens & dozens of the aforementioned White Van men storming past you every which way all the time.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
122 c.i.d. 4 popper vs. 415 c.i.d. V10. No question which one is better suited to the job. Even my little 281 c.i.d. P.I. V8 will cruise all day on the back side of 100 mph. The V-10 we have in the van down at AMVETS is wonderful!

The good new is that Ford has been back peddling like crazy in light of a firestorm of anger at the announcement. Now they said that they will keep the chassis-cab versions. Hopefully, sanity will prevail and the full E-series will continue.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle