collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 305
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16178 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11293 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: The end for Saab  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Dare

The end for Saab
« on: December 19, 2011, 10:38:37 PM »
Saab Automobile filed for bankruptcy on Monday, bringing to an end two years of efforts to rescue the iconic brand which has been the hallmark of Swedish cars for six decades.
The final desperate attempts to raise funds in China were frustrated by Saab's former owner General Motors which still holds key licences.
Saab's owner Swedish Automobile said in a statement that "the company without further funding will be insolvent and that filing bankruptcy is in the best interests of its creditors.
"It is expected that the court will approve of the filing and appoint receivers for Saab Automobile very shortly."
Swedish Automobile's charismatic chief executive Victor Muller had been due in court on Monday to determine whether to lift or extend the three-month bankruptcy protection Saab had been placed under while it was attempting to negotiate a rescue deal.
Muller had been struggling to clinch an agreement in recent months with two Chinese groups, carmaker Youngman and car distribution company Pang Da.
But GM repeatedly said it would refuse to agree to the necessary technology licence transfers to the Chinese firms and Pang Da pulled out of the negotiations a few weeks ago.
GM owns the rights to Saab's models 9-3, 9-5 and 9-4X.
As recently as this weekend, GM reiterated its opposition to any deal with a Chinese suitor, a statement seen as the death knell for Saab.
"Each proposal results either directly or indirectly in the transfer of control and/or ownership of the company in a manner that would be detrimental to GM and its shareholders. As such, GM cannot support any of these proposed alternatives," GM spokesman James Cain said.
Swedish Automobile said Youngman pulled following Cain's remarks.
"In the end the complete lack of cooperation from GM was a big problem," Muller told a press conference at Saab's main plant in Trollhaettan, Sweden, adding that he had lost some 13 million euros of his own money in Saab.
He said, however "there are parties out there that have expressed an interest in Saab.
"Although this may seem like the end, it may not necessarily be so. There could be a new beginning, a possibility for Saab to rise like a phoenix out of the ashes," he added.
The attempts to sell Saab to Chinese partners were seen as the last chance of saving the carmaker, which was already on the brink of bankruptcy when GM sold it to Swedish Automobile -- at the time called Spyker -- in early 2010 for $400 million (308 million euros).
It has been a rocky road since then.
Saab -- which began life in 1937 as an aircraft manufacturer, something which became evident in the aerodynamic, sporty shape of its first concept car designs -- was forced to halt production in April as suppliers stopped deliveries over mountains of unpaid bills.
Its funds ultimately ran out and Saab's 3,700 employees did not receive their November paychecks.
Employees and union officials were dejected after Monday's news.
"It's so sad," Ulf Drufva, who has worked at the Trollhaettan plant for 39 years, told Swedish news agency TT.
He said GM's blocking of the Chinese deal was "strange."
"It's as if GM sees Saab as a threat. And I can't understand that, as small as we are."
The head of the IF Metall union, Stefan Loefven, said bankruptcy was a tragedy for the employees and voiced hope that a buyer would save Saab intact.
"A scenario where the company is divided up is much worse and a lot more jobs risk being lost," he told TT.
The head of Trollhaettan city council, Paul Aakerlund, who was formerly the head union representative of Saab's branch of IF Metall, said there was still hope for the town's carmaking future.
"I know there are parties who want to buy all of Saab and run the business in Trollhaettan."
Others were less optimistic.
"I would be very surprised if anyone wanted to take over Saab," Lars Holmqvist, the chief executive of the European Association of Automotive Suppliers, told TT.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

Re: The end for Saab
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 02:42:21 AM »
When Ford and GM took over Volvo and Saab, they immediately started cross pollinating technologies.  Seemed like a good idea, why not share technologies across divisions?

Then a few years ago they both decided to sell Volvo and Saab.  I knew then it would be a tough sale, because they either had to sell off their own technology, or sell a name plate only.

I'm surprised Ford got anything for Volvo, and it's a shame that GM would rather put people out of work than figure something out.  It's not like the factory workers chose the Saab designs.

Offline Andy B

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 03:41:50 AM »
Although never a Saab fan, too expensive to run for one, I did not want to see it go down the pan as a lot of people depend on their income from it.
It makes you wonder why the big players buy up the smaller companies only to try to sell them off at a later date at a lose?
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 04:23:42 AM »
Saab was a profitable company when GM bought it. They almost killed it when they started cross pollinating  as Saab faithful said they took the Saab out of the cars. Saab was one of the first manufacturers to build a usable turbo engine, and partnered with Bosch (I think) to invent the feedback emissions control systems nearly every engine uses today. I will never buy another GM product for what they have done to Saab.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »
Under GM, Saab had become little more than rebadged Buicks. No wonder GM doesn't want them in Chinese hands. China is Buick's primary market.

I drove a friend's Sonett III a few times back in the 70's. One of only a few decent handling FWD cars I've ever driven. I always had a fondness for the 60's vintage 96's, too. Sorry to see them go.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

David

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:59:50 PM »
I for one am gutted to hear this news. I away had a soft spot for Saab's, I particular the 900 and 9-3 type convertibles. Always stuck out as being something different from the norm.

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »
So is a Smart - don't like them much either  :P

My brother-in-law loves them...might be another reason I can't stand them.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 04:43:59 PM »
Saab has just cut off warranties for all of their cars. All remaining cars will be sold "as is." GM says it will honor warranties for the Saabs built while they owned the marque.

Effective Dec. 19, "warranty coverage is suspended indefinitely for all new Saab vehicles sold. During this period, the warranty booklet must be removed from the owner information packet."

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111220/CARNEWS/111229986#ixzz1hHaA4tMT

There is a beautiful, big, new car dealership on the south east side of Columbus, Ohio. It was built a few years back as a Saturn dealership. When Saturn was pulled off the market, they started selling Saabs.  :swoon:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 02:38:37 AM »
If GM had been properly managed in the '70s, '80s and '90s, we might still have Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, Saturns and Saabs. Too many "Business Men" and not enough car guys.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 12:42:13 PM »
That sounds like what's happening at Ford right now. If you absolutely dominate a market segment, dump it.
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle