collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 540
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Wotcha  (Read 8903 times)

vintly

Wotcha
« on: January 12, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »
Hi all,

Long-term motorsport fan, especially F1, Moto GP and motorbike road-racing. Thoroughly enjoyed 2011, and eagerly looking forward to this years feast of entertainment.

For the record, I like a bet, and wonder if anyone knows of any F1 pool betting sites I can join? Or maybe we should start one? All my (meagre) winnings from last season have gone straight back on Vettel at even money. I can't see anyone beating him or the car - there, I've stuck my neck out.

Potentially controversial - I am glad full coverage has gone to Sky. Although I've enjoyed the BBC's excellent coverage, I think the sport deserves more, and Sky can offer it. For all their expertise, the BBC is hardly progressive when it comes to sports broadcasting - you get the same thing every year - Sky will revolutionise it. The BBC has still got most of it anyway - no one's forcing anyone to watch Sky.

So, I look forward to many interesting discussions with you, hopefully not all of them serious! Cheers.

Offline Ian

Re: Wotcha
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »
Hiya vintly, first of all, welcome to the best site on the web. Controversial, yes, I think the BBC have the best coverage and I hate sky, the BBC does not have most of it, only 10 races and that does not include the first two races, but, having said that , we are all entitled to our own opinions and they are welcome on here. Once again welcome to GPWizard.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »
Hey Vintly,

Good to have you aboard - welcome to GPWizard.  We don't exactly bet here, but I suppose a few members do bet on F1 - maybe one of them can point you to a site.  I'm with you on Vettel - can't see much changing next year, but I'll be happy with any surprises, even if it's simply a dose of bad luck for Seb.

Sky coverage is a controversy, but a lot of us don't even get Sky (we're pretty international even though about half the regulars are British), and those that do get it seem to be about 50/50 in their opinions.

Bring a sense of humour, along with a bit of a "I can take it as well as dish it out" attitude - you'll fit right in...
 :good: :good: :D
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 12:24:20 PM »
Welcome to GP Wizard, vintly! Hope you enjoy contributing to our community :)

As for the Sky F1 deal, I don't see how it's going to break even on the contract. Assuming advertising pays off all the production fees (quite an assumption given that ITV couldn't even get a title sponsor - at a rate barely covering its production fees - for its 2008 coverage), Sky will still need at least a million completely-new-to-Sky subscribers for the service just to cover its first-year Bernie fees. Then to maintain whatever figure it gets, it will need 10% more completely-new-to-Sky subscribers every year. In an environment where Sky is only managing to get 300,000 new subscribers a year (or 3% of its current base), it's not realistic to expect Sky to want to keep F1.

So that's going to leave F1 in 2018 (or, if the last two British contracts are anything to go by, 2016) with nobody wanting to screen it at Bernie prices. A large decrease in fee will follow (since Bernie can only sell to the highest bidder, and if nobody is bidding high...). Other countries will see this, realise pay TV doesn't work for F1 and also demand lower fees - the pay TV people because of the higher risk and the free-to-view TV people because only they can offer F1 a chance to get a foothold (or strengthen whatever foothold it has), which in that context would equal a fee reduction. In short, Bernie and F1 would, over a 10-year period, be richer overall if it had simply complied with Concorde and found a full-time (or two part-time) free-to-air broadcaster(s) (first two years paid or part-paid for by BBC due to implied contract breach to sweeten the deal), rather than take this very short-team deal. And no, I don't think the disruption will be in any fan's long-term interest.

(In case you're wondering, I've done the sums. Not only is Sky not likely to break even, but it would cost me about £120,000 to get Sky on F1 on the grounds that I'd have to buy a new house to get it. So I may not be a fully neutral party ;) )
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 12:29:36 PM »
Great post Ali, vintly, meet Alianora La Canta, our one and only encyclopedia, ask her a question and she will be straight back with an answer.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 12:46:58 PM »
Welcome aboard, Vintly. Glad to have you here. Always room for one more.

I don't expect much from Sky. I believe that they are part of the same corporation that owns Speed TV here in the States. Speed's coverage is far from adequate. While they have the best on-air coverage team with Hobbs, Varsha & company, the keep that team in a studio in Charlotte. They tape delay quali just enough to make the live Timing & Scoring feed useless. They show a few race only on tape delay. Many of us over here depend on bootleg BBC feeds for our F1 coverage.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

vintly

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 12:52:06 PM »
Hi again,

Fair enough 10 races isn't 'most', but if Bahrain doesn't go ahead.. anyway, I'm splitting hairs. I think my view has a lot to do with Brundle - if he was staying with BBC I might see it differently. Interesting that the UK view is deemed 50/50 on the Sky issue, I would have guessed it was massively anti-Sky.

Alianora La Canta - ace detail. I can't help thinking there's so much we don't see, in terms of deals, contra-deals, favours, etc. This is Bernie and Murdoch - a villa here, small island there, peanuts! No doubt Bernie is counting on the BRIC nations to stump up billions over the next decade to have the rights to show SKY footage - as they soar ahead of ailing Europe and a decrepit US - and dominate the world economy. Eek, I'm straying into politics, reverse quick!

Cheers.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 02:28:21 PM »

Fair enough 10 races isn't 'most', but if Bahrain doesn't go ahead.. anyway, I'm splitting hairs. I think my view has a lot to do with Brundle - if he was staying with BBC I might see it differently. Interesting that the UK view is deemed 50/50 on the Sky issue, I would have guessed it was massively anti-Sky.

Hi vintly, welcome to the best and friendliest F1 forum site on the planet, hope you enjoy and contribute as much as us other regulars do.

Personally I'm not against the Sky deal, it's the Beeb who have caused all the agnst over this. Still not happy to have to pay out for full season coverage though. :(

It's interesting you pick Brundle as a main reason for supporting Sky coverage, for me this only muddies the waters as I found Martin was often well off the ball, so to speak, during 2011. My son will testify about my rants at the TV, suggesting Martin, and occasionally David, should seek medical help for lack of brain function about strategies unfolding in plain sight of many of us viewers. I was hoping Sky might have started with a clean sheet rather than more of the same.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

vintly

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 04:17:55 PM »
Thank you John for your warm welcome. Re Brundle, I recall thinking on occasion 'That can't be right' and there were a few instances of Brundle almost doing a Murray, and getting mixed up over drivers, positions etc. On balance though I find him very endearing, and don't mind a few mistakes! Also, he's the only credible commentator for the grid walk - and Sky knows that's gold dust.

David

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 08:19:06 PM »
Welcome vintly, you just found the best forum on the web. Hope you stick round and join in the fun.

I enjoy the odd flutter, but I'm sick betting on F1. I usually bet on Ferrari and lose my money.  ;)

Offline Scott

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 08:52:20 PM »
I usually bet on Ferrari and lose my money.  ;)

I doubt that'll change  :P :P
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 10:38:10 PM »
vintly, on the impressions concerning Sky. That's probably down to who happens to be in each of the places you've previously visited. I know some places which are hugely anti-Sky and others where they more or less wonder what all the fuss is about. GP Wizard floats nicely down the middle on this particular item :)
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 03:22:21 AM »
Welcome vintly,make yourself at home
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Wizzo

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 09:04:25 AM »
Welcome to our humble home vintly, I'm sure you will make many long lasting friends here.

Oh by the way there is a link to one of our sponsors (a betting site) on our Home Page.  ;)

Good Luck

Wizzo
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:14:58 AM by Wizzo »
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

Jugirl

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 11:03:19 AM »
Welcome to GPWizard. Its a great site. Have a good look around and enjoy

From Ju

The current Game grid and Christmas Hangman Champ..Sorry guys i couldn't resist reminding you all hehe

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle