collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 532
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 'Reactive ride systems banned'  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Dare

'Reactive ride systems banned'
« on: January 21, 2012, 02:49:02 PM »

Red Bull Racing are in no hurry to develop their own reactive ride system as reports emerge claiming it has "just" been banned.

Last November, during Formula One's Young Driver test in Abu Dhabi, it emerged that Lotus were running a reactive ride system, which is aimed at increasing stability and aerodynamic performance.

Lotus pioneered the system with Ferrari revealing during their Wrooom! event earlier this month that they were working on developing their own reactive ride height system.

However, reigning World Champion's Red Bull Racing say that while it is "interesting", they have yet to go down that route.

"It's like all of these things, it's about how they work and how they are integrated in the car," team boss Christian Horner told Autosport.

"Things have to work as a package rather than as individual components.

"It appears to be an interesting concept but I'm the wrong person to be commenting on it."

And Red Bull's decision not to rush the system could be the right call as, according to Williams, the reactive ride system has "just" been banned by the FIA.

On Friday, speaking on The Flying Lap with Peter Windsor, Williams' chief operating officer Mark Gillan said: "The FIA have just banned that particular type of system... from a cursory look it looks as though they are aiming to ban that type of system."

Other reports state that the teams were informed of the ban by the FIA on Friday.

Good news for Red Bull, not so much for Lotus and Ferrari.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

Re: 'Reactive ride systems banned'
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 04:39:58 PM »
First the FIA said it was OK, and now they ban it. Ferrari's system must not have worked.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »

What's with the FIA? :o  First you can shell out money and design your car assuming it's legal then you've got to go back to square one with just a few weeks to the first test.  :sick: 
Level playing field - my Arse.  >:D  Whatever happened to F1 being the pinnacle of technology in motorsport?  ::)

Perhaps in fairness to all us fans, looking forward to the racing being a bit more mixed up this year. the FIA should come clean and tell us just who may have been lobbying against reactive ride systems.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 07:24:21 PM »
I remember when Renault was told the double decker diffuser was illegal too.

With the aborted reverse exhaust, and now the banned reactive ride height, you've got to admire their interest in trying new things in F1.  They just need someone who can stand up to Jean Todt

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 07:33:15 PM »
Remember when they almost caused Alonso to lose his title?I
can't remember what it was they outlawed then.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

David

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »
First the FIA said it was OK, and now they ban it. Ferrari's system must not have worked.

:nono: Now now Cos.

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 09:49:54 PM »
Hehe...earlier than I thought, but not so surprised.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Jugirl

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 09:51:11 PM »

It was the mass damper system Dare. They tried everything to help Schumi win the title in what appeared to be his final year...But my man was just too good :D

Ju

Ps Cos... :nono:

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 02:49:08 AM »
I read that Lotus filed a patent in the UK. Maybe nobody could design a system that didn't require paying Renault a fee.
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »

:nono: Now now Cos.
He's probably right  :DD
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Monty

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 01:22:43 PM »
Of course RBR aren't worried. They have been using their WFW reactive ride system for the last two seasons. If everyone else could learn how to make WFW work they wouldn't need a change to the rules.
* WFW = Wobbly Front Wing   ;)

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 06:35:13 PM »

Mass dampers. As it happens, that extremely marginal interpretation of Article 3.15 is what enabled the reactive ride system to be banned...
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle