collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 528
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Petrov th Caterham  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Dare

Petrov th Caterham
« on: January 17, 2012, 04:05:51 PM »
Like  to see Trulli have a farewell year at the least.Another what if driver

Vitaly Petrov is in talks about becoming Caterham's third and reserve driver in 2012.

Finland's Turun Sanomat newspaper reports that the Russian's manager, Oksana Kosachenko, visited the former Team Lotus outfit's Hingham (UK) headquarters last week.

Petrov, 27, has been dropped by Renault (now Lotus) after his first two seasons in the sport.

It has been rumored that the race seat alongside Heikki Kovalainen at Caterham might be up for grabs for 2012, but Turun Sanomat said it is now likely that Jarno Trulli's contract will be honored.

The report said Petrov would be the third driver in 2012 before coming into consideration for a race seat next season.

Caterham's third driver in 2011 was Indian Karun Chandhok, who is now looking for a similar role elsewhere to split his time between F1 and the FIA's new world endurance sports car championship this year.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Andy B

Re: Petrov th Caterham
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 06:34:40 PM »
I thought he performed better than Senna which does not say too much as neither did well. Chandook would have been my choice over both of them!!
Once you have retired every day is a Saturday!

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
I'm glad to see Jarno get the seat, too. I hope they can give him a competitive midfield car.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:24:52 AM »
Petrov should have got another chance... He showed a lot of promises last year, could have got another year easily...

Isn't a worrying sign that the grid is filled with many world champions especially the front running cars and the new talents are scrambling for seat among the teams who are not sure of total f1 commitments due to financial reasons. I haven't seen a single one whom can be described as the next best driver. I could harsh, or might be a notch blind but surely i can't see anyone toppling Vettel. Or anyone who can produce something extraordinary like Senna, Vettel as these two did in Monaco and Monza respectively. People might say I am asking too much, but in the end thats my duty as spectator right???
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 10:14:54 AM »

Your comments got me thinking as well F1fan, just where is the next first time WDC on the grid?  :DntKnw: Perhaps STR are right to clear the decks to try to find one with real standout qualities.

DiResta and Perez had solid seasons last year but neither really showed us any real magic at any point, whilst Rosberg has always looked like a journeyman to me. We have Hulkenberg back on the grid this year and quite a few newbies so maybe we'll get a glimpse of that elusive spark needed.

I reckon Genii dropped Vitaly because they didn't want to upset the the applecart with their newly signed WDC Kimi? They probably think Grosjean can be manipulated to follow team orders, to not embarrass Kimi, where as Petrov has shown he wont lay down either on track or with his outburst on Russian TV.

There are plenty of others I'd rather see sitting the season out instead of Vitaly. Let's hope Jarno makes as big a pigs ear this season as he did last, Petrov could be in the car by mid season.  ;)

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 12:36:51 PM »
Your comments got me thinking as well F1fan, just where is the next first time WDC on the grid?  :DntKnw:

In the second Red Bull car, of course!  :good:

Seriously, we can always hope for a pleasant surprise from the midfield, but I doubt it.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 12:49:15 PM »
I agree with the Petrov sentiment.  I was pretty skeptical when he first came to F1, but he's shown maturity and I think he can drive above the car's capabilities.  He sure kept his teammates honest, and as much as I like Heidfeld, it was he who was dumped mid-season, not Petrov - money couldn't have been the only reason.  I hope he comes back this season or next, money backing or not.   :good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 05:21:41 PM »
I'd say that almost any driver on the F1 grid is capable of winning the championship with the right car and the right amount of luck.  (How much luck did Kimi need for his championship?  And Vettel for his first?)

It is a shame that world class talent doesn't get a chance to shine, but as a fan, having so many talented drivers active in the sport is hardly something to complain about.

I guess half the 'problem' is the current crop of champions are so young.  Except for Schumacher, they all have at least 5 competitive seasons left if they want.

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 01:14:34 PM »
I agree with the Petrov sentiment.  I was pretty skeptical when he first came to F1, but he's shown maturity and I think he can drive above the car's capabilities.  He sure kept his teammates honest, and as much as I like Heidfeld, it was he who was dumped mid-season, not Petrov - money couldn't have been the only reason.  I hope he comes back this season or next, money backing or not.

I think Petrov's history showed that 'too much' can stall a career.
Petrov crashed 'too much' and moaned about the team 'too much'. A dangerous thing to do when there are so many good (or rich) drivers on the market.

There were rumours that his manager upset a lot of top people in F1 (although I have seen nothing to prove the rumours).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle