collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 583
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Will blown diffuser ban assist midfielders more?  (Read 984 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Will blown diffuser ban assist midfielders more?
« on: February 03, 2012, 02:17:20 PM »

Force India says it should, if so who will lose or gain the most?           
McLaren and Red Bull were certainly struggling at Silverstone, but was that just the diffuser blowing or because engine tech also couldn't cope with the quick rule changes imposed?
  :DntKnw:       

Force India will be one of the big beneficiaries of the decision to ban exhaust-blown diffusers in Formula 1, reckons the team's technical chief Andrew Green. Although the Silverstone-based outfit finished sixth in last year's constructors' championship, Green felt it did not get properly on top of the exhaust-blowing technology so will lose far less from the ban than many rivals.

"We were a little bit late to the party and I don't think we extracted its full potential by a long way," said Green. "I think there are teams out there that extracted way more than we did and hopefully that will hurt them more than it's going to hurt us. We spent the winter trying to salvage back all that downforce that it cost us and we're getting closer."

He believes that the rule change will make F1 more competitive overall. "My feeling is that it should close the field up," Green said. "I think you need to look at Silverstone, where the regs changed for a fraction of a second, and the grid did appear to close up."

By Mark Glendenning and Matt Beer, Autosport.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Online Dare

Re: Will blown diffuser ban assist midfielders more?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 02:37:05 PM »
Maybe in the early races but in the end the cream
always raises to the top
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »
Maybe in the early races but in the end the cream
always raises to the top

Indeed, there will always be a 'killer innovation' that top teams can spend to get right that the midfielders can't.

Offline Scott

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
I'm not even sure in the short term.  Everyone knew they'd be banned since last year, so the big teams have spent plenty already on other innovations that the smaller teams likely wouldn't have either thought of, or had the cashflow to develop.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »
Indeed. Several commentators have said that McLaren's exhaust area was covered so that you couldn't see what they were doing.
Lonny

Jugirl

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »
I think Force India will still be "best of the rest" but i feel that the big 5 teams will always have that bit more available resources to produce something special through the course of the season.

I must admit that McLaren has me a little worried though :(

Ju

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 10:02:35 AM »
Since the McLarens are not red, whatever they have up their sleeve will be declared illegal. Ferrari will copy it, Charlie will say the Ferrari system is significantly different and they will be allowed to run it.  :tease:
Lonny

Jugirl

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:09:55 AM »
What are you trying to say IKjohnson.....Ferrari get favouritism.....Noooooooooooo never hehe

Ju

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »
Judging by the way Ferrari copied the RBR front wing last year I think McLaren can relax!  :DD

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle