collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 355
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Poll

What part of the world are you from?

Scotland
10 (6.1%)
Wales
7 (4.3%)
Ireland
4 (2.5%)
Northern England
18 (11%)
Mid England
16 (9.8%)
Southern England
34 (20.9%)
Another Country
74 (45.4%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: We know where you live.............  (Read 70297 times)

Offline DragonBreath

Re: We know where you live.............
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2007, 07:32:04 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  This site felt like home from day 1.

I went to the USGP at Indy the first, hmmm, three years I guess.  September was a great time for me, since I have a bit more free time, but June is always terribly busy, so I haven't been back.  I'm regreting that now, of course, since we may not get another GP in the Midwest in my lifetime.  Back to Montreal, I guess.

Cos, you and Dare live in some of the best driving areas of the country.  We spent Labor Day weekend in the area around Stockport OH.  The roads there (and you know this already) are truly fantastic, especially for someone from the flats around Chicago.  Two weeks after that we made our annual pilgrimage to Deal's Gap, so I put on a quick 3500 miles, but drove some great roads in the process.

Sorry, I'm getting a bit long-winded in my old age. 

Offline Scott

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2007, 07:42:52 PM »
Years ago there was a Car and Driver 10 Best Driving Roads in the U.S.  A friend of mine's Dad had a new Fiat X19 that he needed brought down to Kansas where he had recently moved from Ottawa Canada.  We jumped at the chance, but did a massive detour on the way, taking in 7 of those 10 roads, 3 of which were in Ohio...oh, those were the days. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2007, 03:33:01 PM »
I know Stockport very well. I'm from right near there in Lancaster.

Car and Driver's editorial offices are in Ann Arbor, MI, so they drive down here for road tests. Back in the 80's and 90's, they used to stop regularly at a restaurant in nearby Lauralville. A friend of mine owned the place back then and had pix of the mag staff and some of the cars up in the restaurant.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline johnbull

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2007, 09:39:27 PM »
Strange that you should mention Car and Driver here. I was mentioning it myself with a like minded friend earlier today. Haven't seen a copy in years.

The reason I mentioned it was that I had driven the same Ford GT40 that Ford had built for journalists all over the world to road test. Car and Driver had road tested it as had Road and Track, Motorsport, Autosport, Motoring News - anyone remember it? Autocar, Motor and heaven knows how many others. It was yellow.

After they had finished offering it for road test purposed Ford had sold the car to Willie Green. A girl friend of mine had bought it from Willie, and I used to look after it for her. This would have been 1970, 71. I drove it quite a bit and clearly remember seeing the speedo needle go past the 170 mph mark on a disused airfield one day.

Carol had suggested we do the Targa Florio with it - not quite the ideal car for the Targa, but an opportunity I wasn't going to refuse, that's for sure. Unfortunately her marriage fell apart at about the same time and hubby sold the GT40 back to Willie Green.

On the last weekend of this month we have the Grand Prix de Malte for pre 67 sports cars, and among the entries is a Ford GT40. I am the Clerk of the Course for the event and I have asked the French organiser to introduce me to the owner of the Ford in the hope that I can reaquaint myself with one, and do a road test for our local magazine NITRO.
Joe M. Anastasi.
JOHN BULL RACING.   MALTA.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Steven Roy

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2007, 09:57:19 PM »
Motoring News - anyone remember it?

It is still around but they changed the name to Motorsports News a couple of years ago.  It still in newspaper format rather than magazine and apart from the name change it looks exactly the same.

Offline johnbull

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2007, 10:22:47 PM »
I used to be waiting at the newsagents on Wednesday evenings religiously for my copy.
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Dare

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2007, 04:19:50 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  This site felt like home from day 1.

I went to the USGP at Indy the first, hmmm, three years I guess.  September was a great time for me, since I have a bit more free time, but June is always terribly busy, so I haven't been back.  I'm regreting that now, of course, since we may not get another GP in the Midwest in my lifetime.  Back to Montreal, I guess.

Cos, you and Dare live in some of the best driving areas of the country.  We spent Labor Day weekend in the area around Stockport OH.  The roads there (and you know this already) are truly fantastic, especially for someone from the flats around Chicago.  Two weeks after that we made our annual pilgrimage to Deal's Gap, so I put on a quick 3500 miles, but drove some great roads in the process.

Sorry, I'm getting a bit long-winded in my old age. 

Delayed welcome DragonBreath,somehow I overlooked this
thread.Your right me and Cos have Indy and Sparta
within driving distance

JB,I used to wait for Car and Driver when I was a
teenager to read about the gp's that had been
run months earlier
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline johnbull

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2007, 09:45:34 AM »
Are we showing our age, or what!  :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Joe M. Anastasi.
www.johnbullmalta.com

Offline Scott

« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2007, 09:35:52 PM »
I was talking just the other day about a C&D cover where they asked the question "So, you always wanted a Ferrari?  Here's how - by a Dodge Hurricaine pick-up and race one for pink slips"...it was that limited edition little pickup that they stuffed a Buick Grand National Supercharged V6 into and went on about a one ton diet (there was a warning sticker saying that it could not withstand more than 500lbs in the bed of the truck - but that was due to a special suspension system).  There was also it's sister, the Plymouth Cyclone.

Offline Scott

« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2007, 10:13:36 PM »
Wait a minute - I realize my error - it must have been a GMC and Chevy pickup, not Dodge and Plymouth - it's late, I'm confused, and it was in the early 90's I think.

Offline Scott

« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2007, 10:19:22 PM »
I just know it was the Buick motor, and it did 0-60 in the 4 second range.

Offline leather12

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2008, 03:36:48 PM »
Guy Belgium,
easy to access as I live on the belgian coast

Offline gato

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2010, 09:14:38 AM »

I'm from Louisville,Kentucky home of
   the KentuckyDerby and my favorite
   team is Renault.Favorite drivers are
    Fisi,Trulli,and Button

Have you seen Nicky Hayden there?? He is called "Kentucky Kid" because he comes from the same region as you. ;)
La macchina e´ bella quando quella vincerà. (The car is beautiful when it wins)
- Enzo Ferrari

Offline Dare

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2010, 04:31:47 PM »

I'm from Louisville,Kentucky home of
   the KentuckyDerby and my favorite
   team is Renault.Favorite drivers are
    Fisi,Trulli,and Button

Have you seen Nicky Hayden there?? He is called "Kentucky Kid" because he comes from the same region as you. ;)

Nicky is from Owensboro,a little over a 100
miles fom Lousiville
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2010, 05:11:30 PM »
I think Mikey Waltrip is from Owensboro, too
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle