collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 584
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16159 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11276 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Has Vettel breached code with middle-finger gesture?  (Read 2411 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Has Vettel breached code with middle-finger gesture?
« on: March 28, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »

With post race tirade he may be wrong side of stricter code of conduct.         

Vettel who is normally well regarded seems to have put quite a few peoples backs up with his petulant stance about the incident in Malaysia.  :fool: 
The video of his gestures is below. Looks like another volunteer for Todt's road safety roadshow will soon be announced.  :D

The FIA could sanction F1’s reigning back-to-back world champion for his behaviour during the recent Malaysian grand prix.

Before calling backmarker Narain Karthikeyan a "gherkin" and "idiot" in the wake of their collision, Sebastian Vettel was captured by his on-board camera twice displaying his middle-finger to the Indian driver.

"I think he’s highly frustrated because he’s having a tough season," Karthikeyan told the Deccan Chronicle on Wednesday.

"It’s completely unprofessional to blame me for the incident. The derogatory remark only goes to show him in bad light. Just because he has a good car, he can’t call others an idiot."

Reports in Germany, including in the Kolner Express, Bild and Die Welt newspapers, claim that Red Bull driver’s behaviour may have breached the new stricter code of conduct introduced by FIA president Jean Todt. The FIA has been contacted for comment.

"He has breached the code of conduct," former F1 driver Marc Surer told Germany’s Sky television. "You sign it when you get the license and then you have to behave correspondingly". "Any behaviour that hurts other people or the sport is an offense," added the Swiss.

Asked what the penalties might be, Surer explained: "Anything from a warning to a license revocation. In this case I think it was quite understandable and there will be a mild punishment, if there is anything."

Hans-Joachim Stuck, however, is slightly less forgiving. "When you’re overtaking, misunderstandings can occur. I think Vettel needs to learn this.

"With him, the curve was always upwards and now it’s not the case, and he needs to deal with that," the German legend told the DAPD news agency.

As for Vettel’s description of Karthikeyan as a "gherkin", Stuck insisted: "It’s better than ’asshole’."

Vettel’s attack, however, was sustained, with Kleine Zeitung newspaper now quoting the Red Bull driver as having said: "Maybe formula one is not the place to learn how to drive."  - Stuck responded: "If Sebastian had left more space, it would not have happened. It happens sometimes so it’s a racing incident. He (Karthikeyan) didn’t do it on purpose and it always takes two."

The HRT driver hit back by calling Vettel a "bully", and even David Coulthard - a Red Bull team consultant - defended Karthikeyan. "He can’t make his car invisible," the Scot is quoted as saying by the Mirror.

Also defending Karthikeyan was Force India driver Nico Hulkenberg, who told the Indian press this week: "From what I saw, it was not Narain’s fault. "So I don’t really understand why he (Vettel) said all that."

Nextgen-auto.com, Today.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:00:51 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline cosworth151

Re: Has Vettel breached code with middle-finger gesture?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 06:57:03 PM »
The last person I heard call someone else a gherkin was the late Peter Ivers on New Wave Theater back in the early eighties. As for the other, I didn't know that it was possible to drive a race without flipping someone off.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 08:15:27 PM »
Having re-watched the video of the accident, I cannot see how Vettel or the FIA can blame Karthikeyen. He took his line through the corner and never swerved or deviated from it. Vettel moved over on him, and really didn't need to do so, as the track is plenty wide and it's a long run to the next corner. What's the HRT driver supposed to do, run off the track or jam on the brakes to avoid contact? This smacks of the days when no incident was MS' fault in the FIA's eyes. Do we have another "untouchable" now?
Lonny

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 09:21:09 PM »
OMG, so many Schumacher haters.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline romephius

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 09:28:48 PM »
I wonder if Vettel would be as colourful about his own stupidity when it ended Webbers race a few years ago under the safety car?  After all it was a stupid and needless act.... oh that's right, he cried in his garage about it.....

I thought webbers response was pure gold that time....

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 09:56:35 PM »
Pure gold alright, 124 carat gold I make it.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Scott

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »
Having re-watched the video of the accident, I cannot see how Vettel or the FIA can blame Karthikeyen. He took his line through the corner and never swerved or deviated from it. Vettel moved over on him, and really didn't need to do so, as the track is plenty wide and it's a long run to the next corner. What's the HRT driver supposed to do, run off the track or jam on the brakes to avoid contact? This smacks of the days when no incident was MS' fault in the FIA's eyes. Do we have another "untouchable" now?
:good: :good:
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 07:46:16 PM »
The first part of this is just the FIA ducking responsibility which is what they do best, but down at the bottom a couple of drivers express an attitude about "backmarkers" that probably would be echoed by Vettel.  :nono:

http://www.forumula1.com/2012/f1/f1-news/fia-not-aware-of-penalty-risk-for-obscene-vettel-gesture/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Forumula1-News+%28Forumula1.net+-+F1+News%29
Lonny

Offline f1bettings

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 06:03:40 AM »
Vettel should call himself an idiot, he raced behind Karthikeyan, cut him off and ripped his own tyre himself.  How could this be anybody else's fault.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle