collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 306
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11274 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Red Bull co-founder and Thai tycoon Chaleo dies  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Dare

Red Bull co-founder and Thai tycoon Chaleo dies
« on: March 17, 2012, 03:57:29 PM »

Billionaire Chaleo Yoovidhya, the co-founder of energy drink Red Bull and the second richest man in Thailand, died Saturday at the age of 89, a company spokeswoman said.
Chaleo was Thailand's second richest man, with a fortune of $5 billion last year according to business magazine Forbes, having fallen from the top spot on its annual list which he held in 2009.
According to local reports he was born into a poor Sino-Thai family in the northern province of Phichit who made their living from duck farming and fruit trading.
Chaleo moved to Bangkok to help his brother in his drug store before becoming a salesman and later set up his own pharmaceutical factory in the old quarter of Bangkok.
His TC Pharmaceuticals produced a "tonic drink" called Krating Daeng ("Red Bull") which was popular with factory shift workers and truck drivers and provided the inspiration for the international beverage.
In 1984 Chaleo founded Red Bull with Austrian marketing whiz Dietrich Mateschitz, who had become aware of "tonic drinks" while travelling in Asia, and they started selling the drink in Austria in 1987.
According to the company website, Mateschitz got the idea for the business while sitting at the bar in the Mandarin Hotel in Hong Kong in 1982.
The pair each owned 49 percent of the company, with Chaleo's son Chalerm holding the remaining two percent.
The drink, which was produced in Chaleo's factory, is now sold in more than 70 countries worldwide.
Chaleo married twice and has 11 children, five from his first wife and six from his second.
Apart from its energy drink business, Red Bull also owns two football teams, Red Bull Salzburg in Austria and the New York Red Bulls in the United States, and a Formula One stable of the same name.
Chaleo's family were due to start week-long traditional Buddhist rites at a monastery west of Bangkok, a temple worker said.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: Red Bull co-founder and Thai tycoon Chaleo dies
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 06:47:15 PM »

Glad to hear that someone else besides Herr Mateschitz has made money from the strange brew. Can't be all bad if Chaleo made it to 89 years.

I wonder what colour armbands is appropriate for the team to pay respect to their departed Buddhist Red Bull founder?

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 07:19:56 PM »
Does anyone here like this drink?I tried it once and to
say it's acquired taste is a understatement.

Expensive too
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 10:16:33 PM »

Expensive too

I think it tastes like sh*t
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 10:57:20 PM »

Expensive too

I think it tastes like sh*t

I tried being nice since the owner died but since you brought it
it tasting like %%^^ is a compliment

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 02:27:57 AM »
Around here, it's popular to ruin perfectly good mix Jagermiester with it. The main purpose being to get drunk but not pass out.  :crazy:
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline romephius

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 05:33:36 AM »
I love it... I drink a bottle every day.... love the flavour and the 'kick in the pants' it gives me to get me going for work or on weekends....

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 05:42:05 AM »
I love it... I drink a bottle every day.... love the flavour and the 'kick in the pants' it gives me to get me going for work or on weekends....

You love it,you Aussie's must be a lot tougher than
I imagined.What goes good with it?kangaroo chips

Offline Scott

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »
Yuck - one sip was enough to make me toss the whole can the one time I tried it. 

Give me a double espresso any day.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Jugirl

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 05:13:28 PM »

Expensive too

I think it takes like sick  :sick:

Ju

Offline romephius

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 08:25:40 PM »
Everything is great with an Ice cold Red Bull!!!

Yeah we Aussies are tough.... but a little nutty... :)

vintly

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 12:21:49 PM »
I like a Red Bull now and then - prefer it with Vodka than on it's own. Preferably a pitcher or two.

Jugirl

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
I like a Red Bull now and then - prefer it with Vodka than on it's own. Preferably a pitcher or two.

Vodka and Red Bull...bad memories  :sick: :sick:

Ju

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 01:24:38 PM »
Thanks, but I'll stick with my Mt. Dew. I get a 1/2 gallon of it on the way to the office every morning.

By the way, Mt Dew & tequila, known locally as a Redneck Margarita, is very good!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle