collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 169
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16178 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13016 Posts
John S John S
11293 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Donington Park Sold  (Read 1595 times)

davewilson

Donington Park Sold
« on: February 06, 2007, 01:32:17 PM »
 Former grand prix venue Donington Park, located in Leicestershire (England), has been sold.

A consortium bought the site - as well as "substantial surrounding lands" - from Donington's long time owner Tom Wheatcroft, although he has been retained as president.

"These acquisitions will allow (us) to further develop the circuit and motor sport events but also widen the Park's appeal in leisure and entertainment," a statement issued by Donington Ventures Leisure Limited read.

Donington Park was opened in 1931 and in 1993 held its last formula one race, the European grand prix famously won by Ayrton Senna, in 1993.

The Stig

Offline Wizzo

Re: Donington Park Sold
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 01:52:11 PM »

The directors of Silverstone must be shaking in their boots.

The Chief Operating Officer of DVLL, Lee Gill, said 'he wants to broaden the appeal of Donington Park as a leisure and entertainment destination for the whole family and this will be achieved in the short term, by introducing a much broader range of events and attractions throughout the year.'

Last year, almost £3 million was spent upgrading the pits and garages, and this at a time when there were restraints, what with the track and land being owned by two separate entities, with DVLL now owning the entire operation Donington has the foundations on which to build a 21st Century facility.

If one were to start from scratch, to stand in front of a map of Britain and choose an ideal location for a race track, close to major roads and an airport next door, Donington would be the obvious choice, the only choice. And now DVLL own the entire facility.

Watch out Silverstone, Donington is up and coming with brains, money and plenty of space (700 acres) for development. Bernie seems to tolerate Silverstone because he has no other choice, if we see some serious activity from Donington, who's to say the British GP won't jump ship?

At the end of the day, does it really matter if Silverstone looses out? Surely it is more important to keep a GP in the UK regardless of the venue.
"No Matter how little money and how few possessions, you own, having a dog makes you rich."

GPWizard F1 Forum https://www.gpwizard.co.uk
:wizard:
Wizzo

davewilson

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 02:20:00 PM »
A very good point Wizard:

As recently as 2003 Wheatcroft said that he would invest $80m in the track if Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone gave him the Grand Prix but added that he would not be keen to pay the fees demanded. The track did invest around $8m at the start of 2006 to resurface the track, rebuild the pits and paddock facilities. There are now a total of 38 garages plus facilities above to accommodate the media and guests, which also doubles up as a venue for conferences, exhibitions, functions and corporate hospitality. The problem with this is that the pitlane remains at a slope and thus, in order to provide teams with flat surfaces, there had to be a series of steps in front of the garages which mean racing cars cannot stop close to the garages, meaning that the pitlane was still rather cramped during races. This would obviously need to be changed.

If nothing else, however, the change of ownership at Donington Park will wake up the folk at Silverstone who seem to be assuming that eventually Bernie Ecclestone will compromise and let them continue to hold the Grand Prix without the necessary changes being made
It may well push them into the investment Silverstone needs, if they feel that Donington, is again on the map for a Gp.

The Stig

davewilson

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 06:46:24 PM »
Just wish ,there were a few more comments on this one ,as it has a great history in Motor Racing in this country, and i would have thought it would bring a few more commments from people.

The Stig

Offline romephius

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 06:01:27 AM »
Your wish is granted stig!  :)  A comment from Australia!

I can honestly say, NEVER HEARD OF IT  >:D

Sorry mate, I couldn't resist.

I await my punishment for that one...

Online Dare

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 06:12:17 AM »

How would Donington compare to Silverstone as
a track for f1 races?

Another thought,just the name Silverstone conjures
up more than just a race track,it's name has a
place in f1 history,and I think that's important
to keep! :D
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

davewilson

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 11:11:11 AM »
Donington ready to re-live GP history.
Donington Park again echoed to the sound of grand prix machinery past and present as the wraps were taken off the GPlive initiative which aims to celebrate the top flight of motor racing over the decades.

Dreamed up by Richard Morgan, GPlive - which will make its public debut over 18-20 May 2007 - is being billed as 'a unique celebration of the pinnacle of motor racing entertainment' with grand prix cars and stars from all eras due to feature in the three-day festival.

"GPlive will be a stylish display that recaptures the golden days of grand prix motor racing, giving unprecedented access to the fastest cars and the greatest stars," Morgan said at the event's launch at Donington Park on Tuesday [18 July].

"Over three days, visitors will enjoy a wide variety of motorsport and lifestyle activities. Donington is a vibrant venue with masses of history, and we'll combine that with a high-octane celebration, featuring what will probably be the largest gathering of former grand prix cars in the world."

I think the Donington cicuit would have to be lengthened to come up to todays GP requirements,but if the new investors are worth their salt, i bet they are already looking to the future of the venue:

http://www.crash.net/news_View.asp?t=Donington-ready-to-re-live-GP-history-&cid=1&id=134038&bhcp=1

Also,added to Events Section.

I will come up with something romephius.........
The Stig

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle