collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 508
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11253 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: 'Ferrari wanted Button to replace Massa'  (Read 3706 times)

Offline Dare

'Ferrari wanted Button to replace Massa'
« on: April 03, 2012, 05:30:19 AM »
Seems he learned his lesson  from the Williams-BAR fiasco

Jenson Button reportedly had an "offer" from Ferrari last season to leave McLaren and replace Felipe Massa at the Italian stable.

Having won the World title in 2009 with Brawn GP, Button was linked to a role with Ferrari.

However, instead the Brit opted to sign a two-year deal with McLaren which included an option for a third, 2012.

That, though, didn't seem to dampen Ferrari's interest with reports in the Brazilian media claiming he was approached by the Italian stable last season when they were looking for someone to replace the under-fire Massa.

But instead of swapping over, Button opted to commit his long-term future to McLaren.

Asked to comment on the report, Button told Estadao Esportes: "I was happy to see that my work is appreciated. I heard what some teams had to offer me."

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Re: 'Ferrari wanted Button to replace Massa'
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 12:04:34 PM »

Button is a very desirable driver for a lot of teams, he doesn't rock the boat and can keep piling on the points whoever he is teamed with. Good for team managers good for most teamates.  :D

Jens had an option to stay at Macca for 2012 which subsequently turned into an even better long term deal. However his management would be remiss not to sound out the other teams ahead of taking up the 2012 and beyond deal.

I guess the real story is Ferrari williness to sideline Felipe for this year, they obviously have been doubting his ablity to get the job done for quite a while. That said I'm pretty sure a lot of teams would have been seriously interested to make a pitch for Jens, and maybe even sacrifice other drivers in the process.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 03:04:42 PM »
Seems he learned his lesson  from the Williams-BAR fiasco

I am glad for that.  He does bring a certain gravitas and class to the sport that he didn't have in his early days.

I love that F1 is full of different personalities (yes even if some of them are Bernie).  I hope that Button has a long association with the sport once he is out of the cockpit.  No one will ever be 'the next Jackie Stewart', but of all the driver from the last 20 years, who better than Button?

Offline Ian

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 03:36:27 PM »
Don't forget our 'Nige' Jeri.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 03:46:53 PM »
Yeah, I hope Button stays within the sports. I really like this lad. He had a terrific 1st year, showed a lot of potentials, but got stuck with a under-par Bar, almost in the brink of extinction, but he kept himself motivated as well as kept his focus, and given the opportunity in Brawn, he made the most of it, becoming a world champion. I could still remember his battle to hold on the championship lead, though Brawn was struggling in case of race pace, this never dyeing fellow pulled it off, certainly give people like us who always believed on him, and until then he was one the under-achievers of the pack. But as he moved on specially with McLaren, he just got better and better. I believe Button is far better driver now than three years before when he joined McLaren. And after the incident with Narian, unlike Vettel, he admitted his mistake honestly and wanted to come strongly in China, which I am sure he will. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Somehow he manages to keep unbelievable composure and defy the tantrum that others keep throwing.

Bravado Jensen.. :good: :good: :good:

P.S But somehow Lewis seems to have the better half of the affection among this two, probably because I like the he drives the MP cars, astonishing, at certain times sizzling....
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline markfarrell9572

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 05:05:16 PM »
My wife wants Jenson to replace me!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Willy

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:52:22 AM »
Jens has matured and mellowed alot and has really become a great driver. I am torn as I have become a huge Button supporter these last two seasons and now my old fav Kimi has come back.
I guess I can pull form them both.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle