collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 296
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Scheckter: Alonso a 'steady performer', not 'best of the bunch'  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Dare

Another county heard from. Until yesterday I would have disputed Jody.I'm
starting to think Kimi is the best driver at the moment

Fernando Alonso is not the best driver on the grid, says 1979 F1 world champion, Jody Scheckter.

Fernando Alonso may be one of the top drivers in F1, but he is not the 'best of the bunch', according to Jody Scheckter.

Alonso joined Ferrari back in 2010, brought in to replace Kimi Raikkonen and help the Scuderia try and recovery the Michael Schumacher glory days. However it hasn't gone to plan. Indeed while the Spaniard did come close to taking his third drivers' title in his first year with the Maranello-based outfit, he was only fourth in the standings last year. Furthermore while he does currently lead the F1 2012 drivers' championship and of course made the most of the changeable conditions to win in Malaysia last Sunday, this season looks set to be a difficult one, given the current issues with the F2012, which appears to be no match for the McLaren or Red Bull.

Speaking prior to the start of the season, Scheckter added that he sees the 30-year-old as a 'steady performer' and nothing more.

“Fernando's one of the top drivers, of course, but I don't rate him as the best of the bunch,” Scheckter told The Guardian in its pre-season guide. “I see him as a steady performer who is capable of bringing in a result as long as you give him the right car.”

The South African meanwhile was equally damning in his assessment of Alonso's team-mate Felipe Massa, although that is perhaps more understandable, given the Brazilian's form over the last 12-18 months.

“He [Massa] was certainly good before his accident. At the end of Michael's time at Ferrari Felipe was starting to looks like the faster of the two of them.

“But he definitely hasn't been as good since he came back,” added the 1979 F1 world champion.

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline F1fanaticBD

Re: Scheckter: Alonso a 'steady performer', not 'best of the bunch'
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 09:53:57 PM »
Well I can only ask Jody, what else do you need than a steady performer who will deliver with right car?? Can someone deliver it with wrong car? Fangio, Kimi, Giles, Moss, Jim these people are robbed of many titles because of a wrong unreliable car.. and Alonso is struggling with a ill-handling poorly designed Ferrari, and he could have been an winner of WDC, if they didn't made a wrong call in Abu Dhabi and made Vettel the champion.

Wonder Ferrari asked him as PR favour to cover up Ferrari's inability to produce a reliable competitive car, despite having possibly with the best resources on the grid. Because Alonso has proved his ability in his Renault days, what he is capable of, and he has not lost a bit of that..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:26:56 AM »
"In the right car", I would easily see Schumacher, Kimi, Alonso, Button, Vettel or Hamilton repeating their successes.

In an identical car, I wouldn't be surprised to see any of these men come out on top.

For that matter, Rosberg and Webber could certainly contend.  Grosjean has acquitted himself well too.

I think the level of talent in F1 right now might be the highest ever.  Petrov showed he belongs with the big boys.  Hulkenberg hasn't gotten a great shot yet.  Maldonado is getting plenty of speed out of the Williams.  The difference between winning a GP and finishing out of the points is smaller than ever.  The difference between the top time and 18th in Q1 has become razor thin.  ANYONE can find themselves on the outside looking in.

I love it :)

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 02:53:47 AM »
Exactly Right :good: :good:
Lonny

Offline Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 11:38:09 AM »
I don't agree with Jodi.  I see Alonso as a guy who can REGULARLY take a car above it's potential.  I can't think of a driver who would consistently beat him in the same car.  Not to say I don't think there aren't other huge talents in F1 today, but I would put him at the top of the field as far as driving talent goes.  Vettel is close, so is Button, Kimi and Hamilton.  I'd like to see Scheckter's pecking order. 
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »
Yeh, I've always said Alonso is one of the top drivers.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 01:11:18 PM »
Can somebody tell our JuGirl about this, and give her Jody's address, I guess she will settle the score all by herself.. We don't have sing song for Nando... :yahoo: :yahoo:

Offline Dare

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »
Can somebody tell our JuGirl about this, and give her Jody's address, I guess she will settle the score all by herself.. We don't have sing song for Nando... :yahoo: :yahoo:

F1Fan,I think we'll nominate you to pass on the good news to Juliegirl
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Ian

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »
Go Dare, you do it, be a man.  :P  :tease:
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 06:28:42 PM »
Go Dare, you do it, be a man.  :P  :tease:
:DD :DD :DD :DD  :DD :DD

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle