collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 388
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16143 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12983 Posts
John S John S
11251 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: More Michael news  (Read 5180 times)

Offline stealthhaggis

Re: More Michael news
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 10:49:27 AM »
He would never have won in China as he was already dropping back into the chasing pack prior to his first stop and was well behind Nico. Nico has the edge on him atm with the win. Now there is no excuse for Michael as it's clearly a winning car so he needs to get a win soon or he may as well call it a day.

Offline Monty

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 01:05:47 PM »
It will come as a great surprise to the GP Wizard regulars that I am not a Schumacher fan.

He was a good driver but then his ego got too big for F1. I do not blame him completely, a lot of this was Ferrari's fault. They made the car to his specific requirements, they held back excellent team drivers making them a clear number 2 in support of Michael, engineering information flowed from the number two driver to Schumacher but never the other way, they used Ferrari clout to make sure decisions went Schumacher's way and in the end he seemed to think he had some devine right to push people off the track, block people, basically cheat without fear of retribution. Then his skills faded enough that he couldn't win even with the dice loaded in his favour so he retired. Many true enthusiasts celebrated but perhaps too soon because he came back.
Now he is getting Mercedes to build the car around his needs, he is trying to push Rosberg into a subservient number 2 position and he has already shown that he is prepared to risk killing people to make sure they do not pass.
All of this is fact. How can any of you still want him to win???????  :fool:

Offline Ian

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 01:12:10 PM »
Of course I still want him to win again monty, to think otherwise would be hypocritical of me, he was'nt the first to push another car out of the way and he won't be the last, did I imagine Rosberg doing the same on Sunday or was I dreaming.  :P
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »
Of course I still want him to win again monty, to think otherwise would be hypocritical of me, he was'nt the first to push another car out of the way and he won't be the last, did I imagine Rosberg doing the same on Sunday or was I dreaming.  :P

Sorry Ian, you and me both were dreaming  ;)  - the stewards say so.  :D

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 09:45:25 PM »
Yes I will be wanting him to be a winner, and if he have to all those things monty said, I still want him to do those and win, and as Senna said "If you do not go for the gap that exist, you are no longer a racing driver".. and that gap means every possible gap you can find..

Every driver that becomes a winner requires certain mixtures of lack, team, car and ability to win.. And if Monty thinks that doing all those things he mentioned have got him 91 wins, in this case statistics will let us listen the silent truth..he is one of greatest driver of all time..
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 01:45:55 AM »
My opinion of MS is pretty well known around here, I think his record was inflated by his situation, which to his credit he helped to create. In terms of talent or skill, I would not rate him in the top 10, in terms of hard work, maximizing his situation, doing whatever it takes to win, he is number 1. There are a number of drivers who, in the same situation, could have produced the same result.
Lonny

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 08:26:06 AM »
Yes I will be wanting him to be a winner, and if he have to all those things monty said, I still want him to do those and win, and as Senna said "If you do not go for the gap that exist, you are no longer a racing driver".. and that gap means every possible gap you can find..

I think you'll find that quote was used by Senna to justify taking Prost out at the first corner in Japan to ensure he won the WDC. There are gaps and then again there is the space down the inside which means the braking has to be assisted by coming together with the other car.  :P
Real racing drivers want to get by and leave their competitors running to continue the fight, or accept they are beaten by the other driver. Like Kimi and Vettel at the last race.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 01:04:04 PM »
Vettel cannot even pass a back-marker, and uses every bit of his ability to get that driver penalized, though people will argue that back-marker was hardly responsible for the incident.

The real racing driver you are referring are probably lives in the world of fantasy, the people whom we watch at times acts like the way you said, but in many times when they are fighting machine, along with other people and winning defines the differences between heaven and hell..it is very much normal to act like selfish, they are not sitting in front of a computer, with hardly any stress..

They are what they are, and the that adamentness makes them the fastest among this planet..

So Go MS go...

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 03:08:48 AM »
Back in the 60's if someone drove overly aggressively, hitting other cars or running people off the track, a tough SOB like Black Jack Brabham would take the offender out behind the garages and explain the etiquette of driving to him. Physically if necessary. I think the safety of modern F1 has made the drivers more aggressive. Back in the day, going off track was all too frequently fatal.
Lonny

Offline Cam

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 09:10:54 AM »
It will come as a great surprise to the GP Wizard regulars that I am not a Schumacher fan.

He was a good driver but then his ego got too big for F1. I do not blame him completely, a lot of this was Ferrari's fault. They made the car to his specific requirements, they held back excellent team drivers making them a clear number 2 in support of Michael, engineering information flowed from the number two driver to Schumacher but never the other way, they used Ferrari clout to make sure decisions went Schumacher's way and in the end he seemed to think he had some devine right to push people off the track, block people, basically cheat without fear of retribution. Then his skills faded enough that he couldn't win even with the dice loaded in his favour so he retired. Many true enthusiasts celebrated but perhaps too soon because he came back.
Now he is getting Mercedes to build the car around his needs, he is trying to push Rosberg into a subservient number 2 position and he has already shown that he is prepared to risk killing people to make sure they do not pass.
All of this is fact. How can any of you still want him to win???????  :fool:

I can't a single fact in any of that  :DntKnw:

Except for the fact you're not a fan perhaps
I am a lover of what is, not because I'm a spiritual person, but because it hurts when I argue with reality - Byron Katie

Offline stealthhaggis

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 11:08:46 AM »
Maybe the colour of the language he is using is a little strong but he is correct in what he says. He did win a title by using a move which, when he used it 3 years later, was deemed to be punishable. He did make himself no 1 at Ferrari and even Benetton before that. A point of fact which every driver to work alongside him has testified to. He has cheated and been punished, although that was near the end when Alonso was on the rise, and a cynic might say that there was a new King in town whose nation Bernie needed to coax viewing figures and money out of. When Irvine had the chance to become Ferraris first Champion since 79 and was their 'no1' because of Shcumachers crash at Silverstone, he stated he would not help him or play second fiddle to Irvine. Later he changed his mind about that, at least publicly. Only he was allowed to race, unless he was out of the race which was rare for him, only his team mate seemed to ever have mechanical issues, funny that. When he had the chance to go out gracefully he failed as he kept coming back and hanging around the circuit as Ferraris poster boy. If he, as he now admits, did not want to retire he should have bought himself out of his contract and went racing with another team but then no other team would give him the same treatment, no other top team that is. He is nowhere near the great driver he is made out to be, frankly he had the best car and a car that was designed solely around him. Until recently he has never had a team-mate of real quality, and I don't think Nico is of real quality yet. Near the end of his first stint even Massa could beat him, now he struggles to get the better of a young whipper-snapper who has only just won his first race. He is not like Fangio, Stewart, Clarke, Moss, even Prost, Senna, Mansell or Hakkinen. He never raced in a top team where it was fair game for either driver to win. He is a good driver, he was excellent at team building and making sure he had them around his, his stats make him great but not his ability.

That said even I was pleased to see him do well at Montreal last year, Not sure if I could be bothered with his smug face if he graces the top step but I've got sky plus, I can fast forward it so won't be that bothered. There's a new breed of drivers who will be around long after him who I actually enjoy watching. They'll win more than he will and  1 win or even 2 won't be a big deal.

I actually feel better after that! :DD

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 08:24:11 PM »
It is said, Alain Prost was fast, and he played the political game better than anybody else. On the other hand, Senna brought intensity to the point beyond the word maximum, I guess in Schumacher we might be able to see both traits. People I am not saying that Schumacher is equal to Prost and Senna combined, I am saying what Schumacher brought in the sports. Yes he played his shots, he tried to cheat, he crashed, he made other people a mere sidekick, yes he did all those, and in many of occasions came out with the advantage on his side. He is a commercial success, he reached out to people, and he did produce a spectacular show that attracted new faces in the formula one.

Ability of a driver is a subjective issue, and to assess upto certain extent we invented the scoring system, but when people starts to go beyond this numbers, its a undefined, unknown territory where the comparison became subjective and opinion remains as the only and only way to settle things, and it never settles down.

I wonder, whether he will ever win, because though it seems Mercedes is improving, I guess Schumacher has landed himself to the opposite side of the luck, so if any accident, incident, engine failure, gearbox failure, hydraulic problem, electric problem, tangled with back marker, t-boned by a fellow racer all of this will happen to him.. and I don't think it will improve anytime soon, therefore, no matter how much I and Ian wish to be on the top of the podium, in the end its very unlikely...

Offline Ian

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 08:35:25 PM »
Have faith F1fan, have faith, may the force be with him.  ;)
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 04:13:49 AM »
As stealth said he is a team builder. Honestly, hasn't Ferrari gone pretty steadily down hill since he retired? Slowly at first, but more quickly lately. Now they say they must completely reorganize the team. I have always said he is the best test driver around, but that talent is pretty useless under current conditions. The combination of MS, Todt, Brawn, Fiorano, and Ferrari was magic, but it was truly a whole that exceeded the sum of it's parts.
Lonny

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 07:43:15 AM »
Yeah it was magic, and it required almost 4 years of work before they could get their hands on any kind of title..

It was interesting the fact that, when Micheal won in Monza, 2000 he equaled Ayrton to 41 wins, and by the time he retired in 2006 he had the tally increased to 91, team, strategies, monopolization what ever you say, that is an astonishing feat..

Ferrari started to decline when Todt left, and when Brawn and MS left, the misery started, bad strategical judgement, lack of focus, lack of knowledge to interpret the limits of F1 regulation, lack of innovation, with disarrayed developmental works, and this ultimately pushed Ferrari to a midfield team, and if it wasn't for Alonso, who took those drive that Ferrari like a pit-bull and take those odd victories..

Being a Ferrari fan, its a shame to say that my beloved team has been relegated to the midfield, where they are racing with Sauber for points and not RBR/Mclaren for championship..

Yes it must be restructured, it must have a focus and determination and innovation as well to remain as one of the illustrious teams of F1, if not the most.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle