collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 591
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Pirelli responds to Michael Schumacher's criticism of its tyres  (Read 1513 times)

David

Pirelli responds after an outspoken Michael Schumacher's criticises the performance of its tyres post race. Guess he doesn't like having to nurse his tyres, well to bad, the fans love it!  :good:

Pirelli says it is surprised at accusations from Michael Schumacher that the current generation of tyres are not allowing drivers to push their cars to the limit.

On the back of a frustrating afternoon in Bahrain, where Schumacher could not make the progress through the field that he had hoped for, the seven-time champion hit out at the way drivers are being forced to look after their tyres.

"The main thing I feel unhappy about is that everyone has to drive well below a driver's, and in particular, the car limits to maintain the tyres," he told BBC Radio 5.

"I just question whether the tyres should play such a big importance, or whether they should last a bit longer - and that you can drive at normal racing car speed and not cruise around like we have a safety car."

Pirelli's director of motorsport Paul Hembery said he was taken aback by those criticisms, especially because Schumacher had been so happy with the tyres throughout winter testing.

"I'm disappointed to hear those comments from someone of Michael's experience," he told AUTOSPORT. "Others were getting on with the job and getting their tyres to work. His comments during winter testing were that he was very happy with the tyres, and now he seems to have changed his tune."

Schumacher added in his post-race summary that he thinks Pirelli should reconsider its approach to tyres – because the problems of not being able to push to the limit were being experienced by too many people.

"I'm not happy about the situation, lets see what happens in future," explained the Mercedes driver. "If it would be a one-off car issue, then you could say it's up on us to deal with it.

"But basically it is everybody with maybe one or two exceptions. And if it is 80 per cent of the field that has this problem, then maybe the tyre supplier should think about that."

Source:- autosport.com

Offline Jericoke

Re: Pirelli responds to Michael Schumacher's criticism of its tyres
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 02:34:11 AM »
Indeed, Pirelli is following orders.

They could just as easily meet (or exceed) the bridgestone tires custom designed to Schumacher's exhaustive testing.  The FIA wanted tire changes, risks, strategy.

I agree with Michael:  a real racer doesn't want anything to decide the outcome besides raw talent.

However, I'm a fan, I want a little spectacle.  I want the 'team' aspect of the sport to make things interesting!  If I just want to see who the best driver is, I'll only tune in for qualifying :)

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 03:18:25 AM »
Sounds like frustration from Michael!Maybe Nico's success
is getting to him.

I hope Michael picks up the pace,if he doesn't this may be
his last year,surely to frustrate Monty ;)
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:44:27 AM »
Pirelli could probably build a tire like Bridgestone that would provide full traction for at least 1/2 the race. But they were asked to build tires that degraded quickly, that would wear differently depending on car design and set up, and that had a real gap between compounds. At McLaren we've seen Jenson win because he took better care of his tires than Lewis and we've seen Lewis return the favor. When the results are well mixed between teams and team mates, I think Pirelli has done their job well. Michael will have to learn something new if he can.
Lonny

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »
I like the way the tires are working. It does more than add to the strategy. It also gives the drivers another area to showcase their talents. Tire management is every bit as important a skill for a great driver as any other aspect of car handling. If Schumi is as great a driver as is claimed, he'll adapt.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Ian

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 01:15:29 PM »
Keeping the tyres as they are gets my vote too, they've given us some great racing to watch, as for Michael, yes, as Cos said, he'll have to adapt, go with the flow.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline F1fanaticBD

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
I guess Micheal's ability lies on commanding the tyres upto his ability and deliver it, not the other way round. Yes he could nurture his tyre, in past he had proved that, but only upto that extent of a stint, not the whole race, so Pirelli way will never suit Micheal, and it was about time he will start his word cannon. If you people remember, When Alonso became the world champion 1st time with renault, Micheal was dreadful that year, and that season regulation stated that no tyre changes were allowed..

Probably nurturing the tyre is not one of the best talents of Micheal, and adaptibility will tell how graceful he can be given the adverse situations...
Keep running the fast cars, you will be never out of girls

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle