collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 259
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16158 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11275 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Still think F1 should be in Bahrain this weekend?  (Read 4764 times)

Offline Scott

Re: Still think F1 should be in Bahrain this weekend?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 06:44:11 PM »
Ok, they're anonymous, and in my books that's their biggest sin.  If they weren't though, some rather large policemen would break down their doors and haul them away to places without internet or decent food.

BUT...some, perhaps many of you must grin a bit when they take down the Formula One site, or CIA, a nasty corporation, or some other big, also essentially anonymous sites, with no accountability to anyone.  Well, whatever - I do.  Sometimes I even chuckle. 

I don't see Anonymous as particularly dangerous to me personally.  If, like Lonny said, a few of them apparently bullied someone into suicide, then those ones should be hunted and imprisoned.  The rest?  Not so sure.  The fact that they are as their name states makes any stories about them without much merit.  If you can't identify them to jail them, I somehow doubt you can finger them for much else.

If they continue to be a pain in the a$$ to some governments and large corporations in cyber attacks that generally do no harm other than embarrassment, over issues that for the most part I agree with, then I'm ok with that.  The world needs a good shakeup and a bit of exposure every now and again.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline hayleylsl

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 08:30:52 PM »
I really dont know much about the political situation in Bahrain and i do find the news reports coming out from there disturbing, but i dont know whether cancelling the grand prix would be of benefit to anyone.

I don't know anything about it so I had better shut up.

As for the anonymous hacker group...they are a bunch of numptys...nothing better to do then interfere with peoples property.  I don't have any respect for them.

I liked this quote from John

"  Although as punishment for their actions the should be sentenced to spend a few years in a remote place with no internet access, see how they like having their service taken down.  "

"It's like riding a bicycle around your living room"

Nelson Piquet on the Monaco Grand Prix..

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 12:44:32 AM »
Anonymous only goes after corporate and government groups. While I don't agree with their tactics, I fully understand their frustration. The only reference I've ever seen about them bullying individuals came from Faux Noise, so I assume it's just more Rupert Rubbish.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

vintly

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 10:31:42 AM »
I really dont know much about the political situation in Bahrain and i do find the news reports coming out from there disturbing, but i dont know whether cancelling the grand prix would be of benefit to anyone.

Hayley I'm not trying to lecture you or anyone else here, I'm just passionate about this issue so have picked a quote of yours to start with. I occasionally work with someone who does a lot of work in the Middle East, or at least used to, and have been talking with them recently about this issue.

From what I understand, there are regular, often daily, tear-gas attacks on Shia villages that are home to protestors against the Sunni regime. These attacks are indiscriminate, with gas entering houses and causing numerous serious health issues for one and all, especially the very young. These attacks have been severely stepped up due to the GP taking place. Cancelling the GP would have meant these attacks wouldn't have been stepped up as the eyes of the world wouldn't be upon Bahrain, so it would have benefitted many to not have the race at all.

Anonymous are simply trying to making this known, all be it at the expense of this or that corporation. One person's view will differ to another's depending on what one thinks is more important – the Bahrainians or the corporates.

Offline Alianora La Canta

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 10:54:47 AM »
Anonymous have apparently succeeded in taking down formula1.com, as attempting access results in an error.
Percussus resurgio
@lacanta (Twitter)
http://alianoralacanta.tumblr.com (Blog/Tumblr)

Offline Ian

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 11:01:11 AM »
f1.com comes up perfect on my pc Ali.
An aircraft landing is just a controlled crash.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »
Same here, Ali. It works fine.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline hayleylsl

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 08:10:26 PM »

Hayley I'm not trying to lecture you or anyone else here, I'm just passionate about this issue so have picked a quote of yours to start with. I occasionally work with someone who does a lot of work in the Middle East, or at least used to, and have been talking with them recently about this issue.

From what I understand, there are regular, often daily, tear-gas attacks on Shia villages that are home to protestors against the Sunni regime. These attacks are indiscriminate, with gas entering houses and causing numerous serious health issues for one and all, especially the very young. These attacks have been severely stepped up due to the GP taking place. Cancelling the GP would have meant these attacks wouldn't have been stepped up as the eyes of the world wouldn't be upon Bahrain, so it would have benefitted many to not have the race at all.

Anonymous are simply trying to making this known, all be it at the expense of this or that corporation. One person's view will differ to another's depending on what one thinks is more important – the Bahrainians or the corporates.
[/quote]

Like i said I do know nothing of the situation so was probably talking out my backside :-) 

"It's like riding a bicycle around your living room"

Nelson Piquet on the Monaco Grand Prix..

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 09:00:25 PM »
One must also remember that the F1 race brings a great deal of prestige and tons of money to the ruling families of Bahrain.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/04/10/f1-brinkmanship-bahrain-grand-prix-money/
― Bob Dylan

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 09:30:13 PM »
One must also remember that the F1 race brings a great deal of prestige and tons of money to the ruling families of Bahrain.

I thought nearly every other country complains that there is no profit in hosting F1 races. Indeed most promoters have to get a handout from their central or local governments to nearly break even.  :swoon:  
So how come the Bahraini's stand to make such a fortune from an F1 race?  :confused:

Do spectators in the meringue palace at the circuit have to pay with chests of gold to attend?  Or do the Bahraini's know a secret that eludes all the other race promoters around the world? :D

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:31:47 PM by John S »
Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Dare

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 10:20:36 PM »

It's my opinion that you can't give into terrorists,it just makes others
want to try it.
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 02:41:09 AM »

I thought nearly every other country complains that there is no profit in hosting F1 races. Indeed most promoters have to get a handout from their central or local governments to nearly break even.  :swoon:  
So how come the Bahraini's stand to make such a fortune from an F1 race?  :confused:

Do spectators in the meringue palace at the circuit have to pay with chests of gold to attend?  Or do the Bahraini's know a secret that eludes all the other race promoters around the world? :D

[/quote

In this case, the promoters have their fingers in everything else.  The 'government' either owns or gets revenue from the hotels, shops, parking, air travel, sea travel, merchandising, food sales etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle