collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 150
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16156 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
12990 Posts
John S John S
11272 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 5514 times)

Offline Dare

What is this?
« on: April 22, 2012, 01:36:40 AM »
American's don't answer.Especially Cos and Lonny

Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline romephius

Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 02:41:16 AM »
A pair of speakers for a drive in movie theatre.

Offline Dare

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 03:01:06 AM »
A pair of speakers for a drive in movie theatre.

That's right Rom.Does Australia have drive-in?As land
became more valuable they have all but disappeared here.

I wonders if anyone here wondered what they are?
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline lkjohnson1950

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 03:16:27 AM »
I attended my first Drive in movie in '54 or '55 at the Pioneer Drive In in Tempe. Disney Film, maybe "Lady and the Tramp". There were 8 or 10 in Tucson when we moved here in '73 but there is only 1 left and it's scheduled to close. The last time I went, there weren't any speakers, you tuned your car stereo to a certain channel and listened that way. Way different experience. Ah, the good old days, by cracky!  :tease:
Lonny

Offline Dare

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 03:25:50 AM »
I attended my first Drive in movie in '54 or '55 at the Pioneer Drive In in Tempe. Disney Film, maybe "Lady and the Tramp". There were 8 or 10 in Tucson when we moved here in '73 but there is only 1 left and it's scheduled to close. The last time I went, there weren't any speakers, you tuned your car stereo to a certain channel and listened that way. Way different experience. Ah, the good old days, by cracky!  :tease:

At one time every part of town had a drive-in.The last one closed
2 years ago.I could still drive 30 miles to one in Georgetown,Indiana.
I just might do that for old times sake.

I remember going when I was a little kid going and when a scene would
come up I wasn't supposed to see I had to put my head down.Some movies
I felt like a jack in the box. :swoon:

Offline Canada Darrell™

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 03:55:47 AM »
When I was little, around age 5 to 11, we lived in a trailer park/drive in theatre! The trailers were in a "U" pattern with the screen at one end and the concession/projection hut at the other. I had the bedroom at the front and if I peeked (which I always did) out the window at night I could see the movie. No sound, but as a young lad I didn't really care. It may be why I like to watch movies so much. It may also be why I like boobies so much too but that's another story!
Kimi's back! Future double WDC.

David

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »
I new that one instantly too Dare.  :P

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 12:06:09 PM »
We still have one here in Lancaster. The Skyview is still going strong. I go there at least once every summer, usually more.

http://www.skyviewdrivein.com/

We used to have a second one, The City, later renamed The Plaza. It was a couple of blocks from my office and closed in the 80's.

When I was a kid, every town around here had at least one. Now there is just the Skyview.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Online John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 03:18:08 PM »

I recognised it straight away too Dare, even though I've never seen them in real life.

The only drive-in cinema show I've ever been to, about 10 years ago, had a mobile screen and projector set up in a Cambridge car park. It was there for a week only, showing 'Close Encounters of the 3rd kind', they used a dedicated radio frequency for sound through the car radios.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Scott

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 03:35:57 PM »
We used to go regularly, but they gradually shut them down in my home town of Ottawa.  One amusing story was when a friend of mine and I spliced into the speaker cable and pushed some rock music over the movie soundtrack from a portable stereo.  By the sound of the honking we got about a 5 car radius, and fellow forum member Philbe telling us to Knock it off from the next car...lol
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline aazz

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 07:40:25 AM »
We have a drive in about 20 minutes from where I live. I've been there once to see the first Harry Potter movie (I think it was the first, not really sure). They seem to have all of the good movies a week or so after the picture theartres get them and it's very popular year round. I'm just not a movie person though. I haven't been to a picture theartre since the Blair Witch Project.
I can't think of anything to write here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle